Joanna Newsom video(s)

Started by polkablues, August 10, 2015, 10:41:37 AM

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

cronopio 2

i liked the part where he used to care about music videos.

Jeremy Blackman

So, umm, what am I missing?

cronopio 2

the thing with the ambulance firetruck lights is cute. but that's it, isn't it?

but it feels like the wire.

the  golden hour shots make me think of keanu and charlize theron falling in love, in november.

i like joanna's face.

polkablues

I like it. It captures a mood.

Dude's got like 10 kids now; he doesn't have time to be filling the world's longest hallway with extras and pyrotechnics anymore.

My house, my rules, my coffee

Gold Trumpet

Music video wise, it's nothing. It works if the song works. PTA probably is helping out a friend with something that zero budget was likely allocated for.

Pedro

It's a beautiful song, and it seems to be about New York City, so the video is appropriate.  She has such incredible hair.  I'm very excited for the new album. 

Edit:  Sapokonikan was a Native American village that existed where Greenwich Village is today.  The more I dig into the lyrics the more I like the video. 

Jeremy Blackman

It's pretty. I like more concept in a music video, though. Day turning into night is something. But your average filmmaker, given the opportunity to direct a major artist's music video, would have put more thought into it.

Of course it's also possible that Joanna Newsom wanted to keep it simple.

P Heat

I was waiting for Louis CK to show up in it when she was by the hot dog spot.
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

Just Withnail

Sad that a merger between two of my favorite artist doesn't end up more exciting than this. But PTA flying around with digital cameras is interesting. Maybe he's seeing a possible end of film and trying to get used to it?

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Not everything from PTA needs to be a super-clever revelation (although he's not bad at doing that). I think perhaps he was just trying to capture the appropriate energy for the song.
Watching this made me think "man you could swap Newsom for Fiona 12 years ago" so it wasn't completely out of PTAs wheelhouse.

also LOL on the Louis CK reference

modage

Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestion on August 14, 2015, 08:40:35 AM
Watching this made me think "man you could swap Newsom for Fiona 12 years ago" so it wasn't completely out of PTAs wheelhouse.

The first time I watched the video I was thinking the exact same thing. Because SPIN hadn't mentioned PTA directed it so I thought it was just some young upstart aping him until I saw him credited elsewhere afterwards.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

JG

word on (twitter) street is that this was (shockingly) shot on 35

OpO1832

That word is bullshit, its pathetic that a film critic and somebody that studied "film history" is asking such a dumb question. the video was not shot on film, anybody who has shot on film can tell you that. If I had to guess it was probably shot on BlackMagic 4K as to what lenses he used, ( you can practically use ANY lens you wanted, esp if your P.T Anderson can can request for mounts to be made; judging by the low light, he used some pretty fast sharp lenses, and probably played with the ISO in the camera ( I haven't  shot digital yet but I know you can pump up the ISO in the camera, so that is helpful for night shoots and low light)

if i had to guess what lenses he used, probably ziess ultra primes, but this is a complete shot in the dark, he could of used any number of lenses, I always tickled to see folks that shoot digitally have such poor tastes with regards to optics, majority of the digital shooters opt for the most generic lenses, when you can literally have so much fun with that aspect, and use just about any lenses, so the fun becomes using some far out lenses, at least for me, if i shot digitally.

going back to what I said in the first part of this post, what a comment on the state of "film" criticism when the "film" critic cannot decipher film from digital, and probably vice versa. Today there are so many posers out there who are like I love film, film..but can recognize it. You do not have to be an active shooter or d.p its just common sense for some of shots in the music video, like when they are on West 4th by the IFC theater on the corner is that fast food joint, its all lit by available light, on film you would need major lights to bounce to get some exposure even if you were using zees ultra primes, the best spherical lenses for low light and nigh shooting ( at least in my opinion )

ok I am gonna move on now...

People are saying this video is unremarkable and they are wrong while it is no Paper Bag, it is still a great video, believe it or not shooting something like this hard and people oft fuck up this simple on the street thing, so it was challenge to actually pull it off in such a way, I really dug it, the most P.T Anderson part of the video is when Anderson has the camera in in wide shot @ Washington Square Park and the KID rolls on up by in his scooter with ONE LEG UP, thats like the P.T Anderson moment, think of the scene in PDL when Lena and Barry meet up and everything goes by them or how bout in the master when Freedy gets out of jail and meets master and the girl is trying to ride he scooter and freedie and master just rough house, I saw similar things like this in Inherent Vice.

oh last but not least the shots with J.N walking by the firetruck def highlight this was shot digitally so all the talk on twitter is crap like usual.

Blackmagic 4K but it could of been a 2k. Lenses who the fuck knows!

modage

It's PTA month! First Junun and now the forthcoming PTA-directed video for another Joanna Newsom song, the title track from her new album "Divers," will get a theatrical release in 10 days.

QuoteNewsom also announced that her "Divers" video will premiere in theaters worldwide during the week leading up to the album's 10/23 release, as well as some UK locations on 10/27. Like the "Sapokanikan" video, it was directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. Explains a press release, "The music video for "Divers," the album's title track, was directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, and shot in New York City at the studio of Kim Keever, whose artwork is used throughout the packaging of Divers, allowing Joanna to actually step inside one of Keever's surrealistic and stormy landscapes."

See all participating theatres here:
http://www.stereogum.com/1835685/joanna-newsom-announces-north-american-tour-dates-theatrical-release-of-divers-video/tour-dates/
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.