Xixax Awards 2005

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 12, 2005, 09:24:23 PM

Jeremy Blackman

For people who want to see Million Dollar Baby on its Friday wide release, we're extending the nominations deadline to Sunday 9 PM Central.

And we need more votes!

Remember, you can send a partial ballot if you only want to vote for some things. That's perfectly fine!

SoNowThen

I won't get to see Sideways or Life Aquatic 'til after this first round, so, uh, whoever thinks those are worthwhile movies, please bang the drum for them so in case I love them I'll get a chance to vote for them in the finals.

Thanks and stuff.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

socketlevel

is there anywhere that i can see a list of films that came out last year?  i feel like i'm missing something and it will help me to see stuff that i haven't even considered yet.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

Gold Trumpet

I still have problems. I've seen a lot of the films in question, but even if I were to make even a top 10 list right now, i'd have only around seven films I'd even qualify as worthy for a top ten list. I just don't understand why we have to have this before the academy awards. Maybe if everyone here had the same priveleges of seeing all the films the way academy voters do, then I'd understand. Its just all of us don't and worst, some of us are really restricted. Million Dollar Baby does open wide this friday and for me, that means its distance away is excess of only 4 hours instead of the 6 hours before.

matt35mm

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetMillion Dollar Baby does open wide this friday and for me, that means its distance away is excess of only 4 hours instead of the 6 hours before.
I know, same here.  What the eff?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

How many ballots in total do you have so far?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

Quote from: Walrus ShakurHow many ballots in total do you have so far?

Put it this way, it's like a baseball team voted for the All Stars, instead of the fans.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

John Kerry says:

"Every...vote...counts!"

Race out and see those movies, guys!

ono

George W. Bush says:

"Now why do they call them movies?"

Sleuth

I'M GOING TO KILL MYSELF IF THE XIXAX AWARDS ARE NOT CANCELLED
I like to hug dogs

Myxo

I voted.

Didn't get out as much as I would have liked to see everything this year.

:oops:

Pwaybloe

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: life_boySo, when in doubt...it's a leading performance.

The admins will sort if out when we count, but...

WE WANT EVERYONE'S NOMINATIONS!!!

I noticed that my noms didn't follow the rules exactly (concerning lead and supporting).  Are the admins still going to sort this out?  Should I resubmit?

I know it's too late, but is "Touching the Void" cosidered a drama or a documentary?

cine

Quote from: PwaybloeI know it's too late, but is "Touching the Void" cosidered a drama or a documentary?
Documentary. The only problem mixing the lead and supporting is that sometimes it split the vote.

pete

I still think Jeremy Blackman added that French chick to the "leads" in Huckabees because he's fucking in love with that movie.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: PwaybloeI noticed that my noms didn't follow the rules exactly (concerning lead and supporting).  Are the admins still going to sort this out?  Should I resubmit?
Don't worry about it. Just do better next time. Every vote will be counted!