Roger Ebert's Top Ten

Started by Gold Trumpet, December 25, 2003, 01:19:27 PM

Pozer

Quote from: Small Town Lonerbut one of the worst movies of the year??? Come on, Roger...
I know, really. Surviving Christmas didn't make that list but Dogville comes in at number 4. That's just unprofessional. No matter how much he disliked it, it's plain to see there is far, far more talent put into that film than many others he has seen and could have included.

matt35mm

I thought Dogville was good, but I can understand him putting it on the list over something like Surviving Christmas.  Surviving Christmas is something that's ultimately forgettable, while there are some movies, despite the talent put into it, that just get inside you and you inspire such rage that lasts for so long that it would rank above forgettable crap.

Dogville pushed buttons, and it obviously pushed the wrong ones for Ebert.  I applaud the movie for pushing buttons, and it pushed the right buttons for me, but a movie like that will naturally produce more involved opinions.  It's okay; von Trier is used to that by now.  He can take it.

Pozer

Quote from: matt35mmI thought Dogville was good, but I can understand him putting it on the list over something like Surviving Christmas.  Surviving Christmas is something that's ultimately forgettable, while there are some movies, despite the talent put into it, that just get inside you and you inspire such rage that lasts for so long that it would rank above forgettable crap.

Dogville pushed buttons, and it obviously pushed the wrong ones for Ebert.  I applaud the movie for pushing buttons, and it pushed the right buttons for me, but a movie like that will naturally produce more involved opinions.  It's okay; von Trier is used to that by now.  He can take it.
yeah, but....fine. Point well taken.

NEON MERCURY

Roger Ebert's Top 10 Best Films of 2004

1. Million Dollar Baby
>havent seen it yet...but i doubt its that good
2. Kill Bill, Volume 2
>good..but way to high up
3. Vera Drake
>well, its leigh so cant be bad..i hope its more naked than topsy-turvy
4. Spider-Man 2
>havent seen it yet..i will wait til the 2.5 dvd..but the film is too high
5. Moolaade
>rhymes with kool-ade... :elitist:
6. The Aviator
>havent seen it yet but it looks sexy
7. Baadasssss
> :saywhat:
8. Sideways
>havent seen it but i think it deserves a higher spot
9. Hotel Rwanda
>.....................
10. Undertow
>this film is a masterpiece

Top 10 Worst Films of 2004

1. Troy
>this was ghey..but bana is cool
and Alexander (tie)
>its missunderstood[like last years in the cut]
2. Christmas with the Kranks
>agree
3. The Girl Next Door
>agree
4. Dogville
>i  liked it
5. New York Minute
>eguene levy
6. The Grudge
>..........
7. White Chicks
>.........
8. Resident Evil : Apocalypse
>.................
9. The Whole Ten Yards
>...........
10. The Village
>i actaully think the stories from the old nickelodian show 'are you afriad of the dark?' are better than this film

ono

Quote from: cinephileNeon, you've just reminded me why people shouldn't comment about lists.

Tictacbk

What the hell happened to Eternal Sunshine?

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

SoNowThen

Ebert's lost the plot. I used to support him... but jeez...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Myxo

Quote from: TictacbkWhat the hell happened to Eternal Sunshine?

It's not on the list because it's overated.

I realize something more and more about Ebert. The guy is either dead on when he reviews a movie or he's totally clueless. I want Siskel back.

rustinglass

The village is one of my favourite films of the year, It's hard for me to understand how so many people hate it so much. it's the the best and most beautiful film shyamalan ever did (and that's saying a whole  lot).
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Pas

What the hell, I walked out of Spider-Man 2 it was a shit movie I give it zero stars to infinity and like a little more

Gamblour.

Quote from: rustinglassThe village is one of my favourite films of the year, It's hard for me to understand how so many people hate it so much. it's the the best and most beautiful film shyamalan ever did (and that's saying a whole  lot).

Yay, someone else likes it. I friggin loved this movie, the cinematography, the implications, the monsters, I know people hate this movie for whatever reason, but I bought into it all.

Quote from: MyxomatosisI realize something more and more about Ebert. The guy is either dead on when he reviews a movie or he's totally clueless.

Yeah, I've always thought this. And when he gets into politics or hero worship, fugedaboudit.
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Roger EbertTop 10 Worst Films of 2004

1. Troy and Alexander (tie)
2. Christmas with the Kranks
3. The Girl Next Door
4. Dogville
5. New York Minute
6. The Grudge
7. White Chicks
8. Resident Evil : Apocalypse
9. The Whole Ten Yards
10. The Village

Any Worst Of List that doesn't include Catwoman just isn't valid...that includes Of All Time.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Myxo

Quote from: rustinglassThe village is one of my favourite films of the year, It's hard for me to understand how so many people hate it so much. it's the the best and most beautiful film shyamalan ever did (and that's saying a whole  lot).

I hated the Village but absolutely loved Unbreakable where other people can't stand it. Really do think M. Night needs to call it quits on the card trick endings though. We're all expecting it now and even if the execution is better each time, I'm still waiting for the surprise instead of being surprised.