Samurai Champloo

Started by squints, May 15, 2005, 05:44:32 AM

squints

I saw an ad for this show several months ago claiming that it was from the creators of Kill Bill. This of course immedietely caught my attention but since then i haven't found any info relating this show to KIll Bill however tvtome said its from the creators of Cowboy Bebop (great show). I caught the first episode last night on Adult Swim and was pretty impressed. The fella who does SPike Spiegel's voice in CB is one of the main character's it seems but this episode wasn't big on plot, just some lame dialog that paved the way for some brilliant fight scenes. The animation is top notch and the editing is what caught my attention the most. Anyone else see it? If you're a fan of Bebop you'll fucking love this.

I'm not sure there isn't already a thread for this...if so...somone redirect this lost soul
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Chrisdarko

I have seen the first two discs. I don't think the third has come out. I like the animation but i don't think its as good as cowboy bebop (so far).

I really love how they take a music theme and a setting and contrast.

i saw the first episode and the hard-boiledness is obnoxious.
:yabbse-angry:
context, context, context.

Split Infinitive

I recently finished the last disc of this series, and while I did enjoy it overall, I was quite disappointed.  Maybe it's because Cowboy Bebop set such a high bar that most series would have a tough time measuring up to, but half of Champloo had a "been there, done that" feeling to it, hip-hop atmosphere notwithstanding.  Most of the episodes just seemed to be treading water between the overarching storyline eps that shaded in the characters.

The animation was gorgeous, I liked the English voice actors (like the heathen I am, I didn't watch the shows in the original Japanese language with subtitles), and by the time I got to the last three episodes, I cared enough about the characters to be invested in whether or not they survived.  But I got tired of the "REMIX" tone (especially when the show appeared to kill off characters, only to have them come back; or for someone to say, "I bet we'll be seeing him again," and then... nope).

Anyway, I was just wondering if there were any hardcore fans of this show that would be willing to mount an articulate defense.  In a word, I'd describe Samurai Champloo as "frustrating."  But again, maybe I just had unreasonably high expectations because of Cowboy Bebop.
Please don't correct me. It makes me sick.