Ready Player One

Started by wilder, July 22, 2017, 04:41:00 PM

wilder

Follows gamer Wade Watts (Tye Sheridan) as he plays through a MMO (Massive Multiplayer Online) game searching for an easter egg left behind by the game's creator James Donovan Halliday (Mark Rylance).

Directed by Steven Spielberg
Release Date - March 30, 2018

Gold Trumpet

It's a trailer so it's filmmaking by advertisers, but if Spielberg wasn't headlining this, how interesting does this even look? Instead of remembering the quality of Minority Report, this got me thinking about the misfire that was War of the Worlds. Let's hope it is good because if the best of Spielberg can have something to say about the spectacle environment of blockbusters today, it would be a great thing.

Drenk

It looks bad. BFG was insulting. I wonder how much Spielberg cares about these movies.
Ascension.

RegularKarate

I guess this trailer is for people who have read the book? All we know from this trailer is: Future, VR, and Nostalgia. There's no story. There's maybe one shot that looks like something Spielberg would do. I still haven't seen BFG, but War of the Worlds isn't a misfire. It takes a hit in the third act, sure, but it's still good.

polkablues

Totally agree with you. The whole time, I just wanted the trailer to even hint at an answer to the question, "In purpose of what?"
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

jenkins

lol at the power of memes

they look meme cringing there perhaps, but on the streets, where i first saw them, they're fly enough

pete

are there still a lot of people who see themselves in this face?

Quote from: jenkins on March 06, 2018, 01:52:53 PM

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

Demi Adejuyigbe's "rejected theme song" pretty well sums up this whole thing for me.

https://twitter.com/electrolemon/status/971208968323280896
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

dang okay. nah but in the past i not been into things and been like "why people into these things?" this is Spielberg, i liked the first 2/3rds of The BFG, i cried during War Horse, and it's set in Ohio. i'll be there. all these pop confections are like the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park as far as i'm concerned.

Kal

Well, I was as worried as everyone else after watching the first trailer, and I have not been a fan of Spielberg movies as of late (maybe in the last 10 years or more)... BUT...

I truly LOVED this movie. I had a total blast. It's vintage Spielberg to me, and a movie meant to sit back, relax, enjoy the ride. The visuals are just insane, but the story flows well and I thought they did a great job with the casting too.

I just watched this at the SXSW premiere with Spielberg, Cline and most of the cast, which was pretty cool. Spielberg seemed very sincere about his passion for making this, for video games in general "since playing Pong on the set of Jaws", he said.

Cultural references are pretty great. There are some that are not in the trailer that I know people here will dig. Some are a big part of the plot and big spoilers. Won't even reference any of that. Also there were technical difficulties towards the end, which was pretty fun as the whole theater was cheering and it took them like 3 tries to get it back on. Fun stuff.

samsong

tried my damndest to just enjoy the ride, but this movie is fucking garbage.  set pieces are pretty solid, especially one that features a refrence that totally caught me off guard in the best way, but theyre far from face-melting. the condescending geek pandering and the stupid, stupid narrative/storytelling are unfortunately front and center.  it's hard to have fun when being talked down to like i have the cognitive wherewithall of a blow-up doll.

Sleepless

So the marketing is on point?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Alexandro

I loved it.
I don't really get the hate. Geek "pandering" is kind of the point, as it's supposed to be about a world where geekdom is the mainstream... the storytelling is average. To be honest at some point I felt everything was too convoluted and stoped following every small piece of it. But that's how video games and universes like these work. I mean, it's supposed to be a geek film made on geek terms, and even though I don't think it fully achieves that, I can see how it comes close. I guess it helps that that grandpa Geek Spielberg is behind this.

Now, what the film really does is exhaust you with visual information and ridiculous set pieces, but that's a good thing. It felt good to be exhausted by it, and think "well, there is no way I'm absorving every piece of visual information this thing is throwing at me". And it was funny...

I went in thinking this could be a disaster. And I hated, HATED those nostalgia posters jenkins showed us, and the character design of the two leads, but in the end I didn't care. The film absorved me into it's own trippy madness. I actually wasn't bothered too much with the dumb pontification at the end. I liked it more than The Post, and my kids (7 and 4) LOVED IT and couldn't get their eyes off the screen, which is a lot to say for a 140 minute film. I mean when I went with my kid to see The Avengers he got bored pretty quickly (not to mention myself); this is very classic 80's "suburban underdogs get together to beat the system spielberg stuff" but on steroids. So yeah, I advise to enjy it for being just that.