Most Kubrick Scene Ever

Started by Reinhold, April 04, 2006, 12:53:18 AM

Reinhold

the subject of my final exam/paper in my Kubrick class this semester is to discuss what I believe to be the most "Kubrick" scene out of all of his films, including everything from Fear and Desire to AI.

one scene that is the closest thing to a quintessential "Kubrick" scene: visually, aurally, and with the narrative.

right now, i'm thinking about the scene in 2001 in which the pod is in direct opposition to the ship and they're arguing about letting Dave back in.

i also like the seduction of Lady Lyndon... practically no dialogue but conveys a lot of stuff.

there are a few from clockwork that might be good candidates... the scene before alex's arrest w/ the phallic statue and rotating camera.

i really like the war room scenes from strangelove that deal with masculinity/fatalism/war strategy/sexual frustration and fascination, etc... all kubrick themes. plus the highly stylized, but very "real" feeling constructed set, the drastically changed "adapted" dialogue from red alert. etc... that's probably what i'll go with.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Fernando

Quote from: Xidentity Crixax on April 04, 2006, 12:53:18 AM
the subject of my final exam/paper in my Kubrick class this semester is to discuss what I believe to be the most "Kubrick" scene out of all of his films, including everything from Fear and Desire to AI.

AI isn't a Kubrck film it's Spielberg's.

As for the most K scene, first thing that came to mind was The Shining, the whole flim screams Kubrick to me, the standout scenes for me would be Grady and Jack in the bathroom and Jack with Lloyd.

Reinhold

Quote from: Fernando on April 04, 2006, 10:11:24 AM
AI isn't a Kubrck film it's Spielberg's.

I know that. You know that. The professor knows that. And yet, it's on the syllabus.
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

sickfins

you could write so much about that one shot of nick the piano player being led blindfolded through the naked couples dancing to 'strangers in the night'

it kills me every time, but it's not really a scene.  that shot really captures a lot, to me

Pubrick

this premise i like.

well first i would never do anything from clockwork or before strangelove. out of the remaining films, the quick answer is "the toilet scenes", that would be too easy. the RIGHT answer is "all final scenes" of the remaining movies, that would be amazing to talk about. so excluding those, off the top of my head:
-strangelove: opening title refuelling sequence / shooting the vending machine to get change and being sprayed in the face
-2001: dave killing hal
-lyndon: the duel with barry and bullingdon
-shining: jack put in storage "go check it out"
-FMJ: pyle's death
-EWS: ziegler "talking straight" with bill

the fun part would be explaining why these are the most "kubrick". if your considering clockwork or anything before strangelove then i don't think we're talking about the same kubrick.
under the paving stones.

Reinhold

pyle's death will be overused just because it's something people know.

ews will go over very well with my prof. i hadn't considered that scene of the shining, but it makes the most sense. i'd rather go with the scene from 2001 in which dave is arguing with hal, but before he gets inside to kill him.

strangelove would be easy to write about but not intellectually stimulating for this paper. i'm thinking 2001 or ews.

RegularKarate

I had a similar project when I was in film school a kajillion years ago.

This is the one I used:

Quote from: Pubrick on April 04, 2006, 11:24:25 AM
-2001: dave killing hal

This is what I should have used.

Quote from: Pubrick on April 04, 2006, 11:24:25 AM
-lyndon: the duel with barry and bullingdon

Pubrick

Quote from: Xidentity Crixax on April 04, 2006, 09:57:24 PM
pyle's death will be overused just because it's something people know.
oh, ok. if u want obscure, these are personal revelations:

strangelove
-

-

lyndon
-

shining
- the only scene in the film where wendy is smoking.

fmj
-

ews
-
under the paving stones.

JG

Reinhold

i rushed the paper but got an A. i used dave arguing with hal before he kills him. thanks.

Chest Rockwell

Well (and I'm not answering for Pubrick, but stating my own opinion on the matter), A Clockwork Orange is the one movie in Kubrick's canon everybody knows, in a way that is actually detrimental to its image. Most people will write on Clockwork because it seems easier than it is, and perhaps it'd be best to simply stay away from writing on it unless you're talking about something amazing, because it's such a popular subject.

Thematically it fits in with the rest of Kubrick's work post-Strangelove, with its themes of dehumanization in the form of both a regression to animalism and in the taming of said animalism by the state and scientists. I think the one scene from the movie that would be perfect is the on-stage demonstration of Alex's "cure," but at the same time it seems a lot of people would want to write on that since the movie is so familiar. I would have said the same thing about HAL's death, though; it's one of those iconic scenes everyone knows.

Of course, there are several motifs to write about. Color, photography, dehumanization (which could take several different forms depending on the movie), the female body and sexuality in general, etc. The one stipulation I'd have is that it should be post-Lolita.

Pubrick

Quote from: flagpolespecial on October 10, 2006, 08:39:26 PM
i don't quite understand what you're saying about A Clockwork Orange and its' (dis)association with/from the rest of Kubrick's (mostly later) body of work.
i was suggesting that he avoid it if he wanted to be original. every teenager and his jizz sock loves that movie cos it's the "coolest", followed by FMJ cos it has the most swears, and then followed by his black and white films cos they think black and white means better or that it's cooler to prefer his old films cos it means you were down from the beginning. if he wanted to separate himself from those douche bags i suggested focussing on the other films.
under the paving stones.