Akira Kurosawa

Started by xerxes, January 10, 2003, 12:56:53 AM

tpfkabi

is the HIdden Fortress the one where the army attacks with trees? or something about the moving forrest? i saw 4 or 5 of his films at school in a short time and i mix them all together.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

xerxes

Quote from: bigideasis the HIdden Fortress the one where the army attacks with trees? or something about the moving forrest? i saw 4 or 5 of his films at school in a short time and i mix them all together.

that would be throne of blood

tpfkabi

ah yes. the one where he gets that pesky wife/queen or whatever and she tells him to kill that guy and there's a blood stain? yes/no? what happens in the hidden fortress then?

i'm trying to think. i know i've seen Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Throne of Blood, Rashomon......they all have Mifune so that doesn't help me seperate them.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: bigideasah yes. the one where he gets that pesky wife/queen or whatever and she tells him to kill that guy and there's a blood stain? yes/no? what happens in the hidden fortress then?

i'm trying to think. i know i've seen Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Throne of Blood, Rashomon......they all have Mifune so that doesn't help me seperate them.

Is hidden fortress the one where the two guys find gold in sticks?

Gold Trumpet

modage

bad news for those already with Kurosawa dvds, or good news for those who like re-buying things.  accroding to www.thedigitalbits.com  

By the way, we mentioned yesterday that Criterion is releasing Akira Kurosawa's The Lower Depths on 8/19. Well, in the liner notes for their new Throne of Blood DVD, subtitle translator Linda Hoaglund mentions that Criterion has commissioned her to create new subtitle translations for Seven Samurai, Ikiru, Stray Dog, The Bad Sleep Well, Drunken Angel and I Live in Fear (a.k.a. Record of a Living Being) as well. Meaning that you can expect new Criterion DVD releases of all of those great Kurosawa films in the future.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Silver Bullet

RANKING KUROSAWA FILMS

01. The Hidden Fortress A+++
02. The Seven Samurai A+++
03. Rashomon A+++
04. Throne Of Blood A++

Seeing Yojimbo tomorrow. I have a whole heap that I am slowly working my way through. I really, really love the guy. He is fast forging himself as one of my favourite directors. When you have only seen four films by any given person and the worst one is an A++, you know you're on to something amazing.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Ravi

I recently saw some of his films on the big screen and they're even more impressive than at home on TV.  Kurosawa was not only a master of the camera, but also of character, stories, and emotions.  I remember first seeing Seven Samurai on public TV several years ago with my dad very early in the morning, and even though I was kind of tired, I watched the entire thing.  Absolutely fantastic.  He was so amazing to have been relatively prolific while making good or great films.

He seems to get a lot of attention for his samurai films, but his modern films, such as High and Low and The Bad Sleep Well are also good.  Derzu Uzala, which is in Russian, is another great one.  I wish I can someday see that one on the big screen.

dufresne

Quote from: The Silver BulletHe is fast forging himself as one of my favourite directors.

i find this phenomenon awesome, especially since he's dead.   :)
There are shadows in life, baby.

modage

Quote from: dufresne
Quote from: The Silver BulletHe is fast forging himself as one of my favourite directors.

i find this phenomenon awesome, especially since he's dead.   :)

well, now im even MORE excited to see what he does next!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

godardian

Quote from: Ravi

He seems to get a lot of attention for his samurai films, but his modern films, such as High and Low and The Bad Sleep Well are also good.  

I completely agree.  High and Low is by far my favorite Kurosawa. I think Sanjuro is very, very beautiful.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

The Silver Bullet

• Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.

tpfkabi

Quote from: RaviHe seems to get a lot of attention for his samurai films, but his modern films, such as High and Low and The Bad Sleep Well are also good.  Derzu Uzala, which is in Russian, is another great one.  I wish I can someday see that one on the big screen.

yeah, i've only seen samurai ones: Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Throne of Blood, and Yojimbo.

what are his modern day ones like? are they wearing 50's style clothing, etc? it's just hard for me to picture.

The Silver Bullet

I have only four Kurosawa films in my posession that I have not yet seen. I am leaving Ikiru for last.
  • A hare.