76th Annual Academy Awards News!!

Started by The Silver Bullet, September 25, 2003, 08:26:34 AM

©brad

look i'm not surprised that volume 1 was not nominated for anything, besides cinematog. and effects maybe. it shouldn't be nominated b/c we haven't seen the whole thing yet. so there.

Weak2ndAct

For those wondering why Scarlett Johansson got the Richard Roundtree:

Basically, it's Focus' fault.  They chicken-shit-ily pushed her for supporting, worried that it might conflict w/ 'Girl for a Pearl Earring.'  So what you got was people voting for her in both categories, plus cancelling herself out in the best actress category for having the misfortune of being in 2 good movies this year.

SoNowThen

Is it possible that an actor/actress could win both Best and Best Supporting in one year?

cos that'd be cool
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Quote from: SoNowThenIs it possible that an actor/actress could win both Best and Best Supporting in one year?

cos that'd be cool

Yep. It's happened 9 times. Most recent was Julianne Moore up for both last year for "The Hours" and "Far From Heaven".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02have any of them ever WON both?

Nope.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ProgWRX

A friend of mine told me that supposedly Access Hollywood was saying something to the effect that the Academy Voters snubbed Tom Cruise because him not doing Cold Mountain?  :?: I know it sounds ridiculous but bear with me, my friend wont believe my own word. WTF was he even in consideration for Cold Mountain? Anyone know about this?
-Carlos

modage

yes originally he was interested in the Inman (Jude Law) role, and wanted his usual asking price of 20$ mil plus some backend, and Harvey Weinstein balked and told him he had to cut his price.  he refused because he didnt see this as a charity picture and decided to drop out of the project whose budget was already ballooning out of control before they had even started shooting.  thats how nicole came across the script and all the actors who eventually signed on cut their costs and were paid a combined total less than just what cruises salary would've been.

i dont think this has anything to do with why he wasnt nominated for Samurai though.  after all, Cold Mountain couldn't get nominated for Picture, Director, Actress (nicole), or even Screenplay!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ProgWRX

ahh i see

what I dont figure though, is why Cruise would ask 20mil for that one, and then do Last Samurai with NO upfront salary?

:?
-Carlos

Sleepless

Cos Samurai was a better film. Plus it was one he became much more involved in, in the pre-production stages. Obviously it was just a film he wanted to do much more, and, being Tom Cruise, he can pretty much guarantee that his slice of the backend will be pretty nice.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

abuck1220

mogwai

Quote from: abuck1220no fucking pearl jam. crap.
yeah, i agree, but it they were nominated and won, somehow i can't picture myself eddie vedder accepting the award. it's like if sean penn wins, he's not going to be there.

Chest Rockwell

Man I'm fucking pissed Scarlett Johannson wasn't nominated. The Academy Awards BLOW.  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil: I'm going to be really irritated about this for quite a while!!!

brockly

Quote from: ©bradlook i'm not surprised that volume 1 was not nominated for anything, besides cinematog. and effects maybe. it shouldn't be nominated b/c we haven't seen the whole thing yet. so there.

Yeah. The Academy does recognise kill bill (not that it really maters :roll:) but they are waiting for the rest of the film before they will give it nods. If they give Vol. 1 dozens of nominations and Vol. 2 turns out to be better (which it will), they couldn't really nominate/award the same film twice, could they? I also think that's the case with Uma. I'm kind of glad she didn't get nominated, because QT has said that her acting shines even more in Vol. 2. And she wouldn't be up against Charlize Theron either, who is obviously going to win. The Golden Globes were foolish enough to nominate her for Vol. 1.

modage

there's no way in hell volume two will be up for oscars.  ONE) the first one couldnt even get a technical award and TWO) its not the type of movie that gets recognized let alone awarded SHIT!  and THREE) its coming out in april, nobodies memory is that long.  come next january nobody in the academy is even going to remember kill bill.