Hughes Brothers? Are they dead too?

Started by Duck Sauce, December 07, 2003, 11:25:44 PM

Duck Sauce

I absolutely loved From Hell and were impressed with their earlier efforts, are they working on anything new?

Stefen

Quote from: Duck SauceI absolutely loved From Hell and were impressed with their earlier efforts, are they working on anything new?

I like them too. Menace II Society and Dead Presidents were watched alot when I was a kid, I don't think they are working on anything lately. Although I do remember waking up from a half sleep and seeing their names on some documentary about pimping or something. I may have been half asleep and just dreaming about pimping though.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Albert was gonna go at it alone, but dropped out:

No Hide and Seek for Albert Hughes
Source: Variety Thursday, August 28, 2003

Albert Hughes (From Hell) has walked away from 20th Century Fox's Hide and Seek. The director had spent three weeks preparing for the Robert De Niro film but left because of "creative differences".

De Niro is still attached to the story which centers on a young girl who loses her mother at an early age. Her father discovers that she's coping with the death of his spouse and her mother in an unusual and ultimately terrifying way.

The script was written by Ari Schlossberg, who is penning a remake of MGM's Witness to Murder.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Their next project is this:

USA Network Greenlights "Touching Evil," an Original Series Executive Produced By The Hughes Brothers, Arnold Rifkin and Bruce Willis

LOS ANGELES, July 8th, 2003 -- Allen and Albert Hughes (Menace II Society, From Hell) make their television debut as executive producers of Touching Evil, a USA Network original series based on the hit series by British Granada Television. Cheyenne Enterprise principals Arnold Rifkin (Tears of the Sun, Crocodile Hunter) and Bruce Willis (Armageddon, Die Hard) also executive produce the series. The series pilot is directed by Allen Hughes and penned by Bruno Heller (The Expendables, The Huntress).

Jeffrey Donovan (Storyteller, Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2) stars as Detective David Creegan, who after surviving a near fatal gunshot wound to the head, takes a 12-month psychological leave of absence. He returns to work for the FBI's new Organized and Serial Crime Unit, a rapid-response, elite crime squad. His brush with death renders him fearless in his relentless pursuit of justice as he and his partner Vera Farminga (UC: Undercover) specialize in solving shocking, high profile crimes.

"The work that Allen Hughes, Arnold Rifkin and Bruno Heller did on this pilot is both brilliant and unique. It is a pleasure and an honor to be working with artists performing at this level," says executive vice president, original programming, USA Network, Jeff Wachtel. "Now we just need to do it every week."

"Working with USA provided me with more latitude than I expected in television. It was important for me to bring a style, feel and vibe to the series that doesn't currently exist in TV," says executive producer and director Allen Hughes. "The script was one of the best I had seen, and once the casting came together with Jeffrey Donovan and Vera Farminga and we had Arnold Rifkin and Bruce Willis on board, I was confident that the series would exude the energy I was looking for."

"It's an absolute dream for me to see what I've believed in finally come to the screen. What makes this project even more extraordinary is the addition of the talented film director Allen Hughes doing his first TV project for Cheyenne Enterprises," says executive producer Arnold Rifkin.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Duck Sauce

I love macguffin

So, is his brother sill on it?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Duck SauceI love macguffin

Don't tease me.

Quote from: Duck SauceSo, is his brother sill on it?

No, Albert was to direct it solo. No word why Allen wasn't involved. John Polson is now the director of "Hide And Seek".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Quote from: j_scott_stroup04I heard that the Hughes Brothers were doing "the Jimi Hendrix Story", possibly starring Andre 3000.  Could this theory be a fact?  If none of you guys know, then could you at least tell me a website that I could go to to find out.

Outkast goes hollywood

LOS ANGELES (Outksat Fans Website) - Outkast's "Speakerboxx/The Love Below" looks set to go Platinum in the U.S., but the critically acclaimed hip hop duo aren't stopping there. The pair begin shooting a feature-length Outkast film in January.

Meanwhile, Andre 3000 has a couple of other film roles coming up. He'll star as Jimi Hendrix in the Hughes Brothers' upcoming "The Jimi Hendrix Story" and he will have a part in a sequel to "Get Shorty" as a character named "Be Cool".

The Outkast film, entitled "The Love Haters", is a musical in which Andre plays a classical musician who falls in love with a punk rocker while living in Memphis in the 1970's.

http://www.sixshot.com/articles/2680/

On the heels of their critically acclaim and commercially successful sixth LP, Outkast's, Andre "Ice Cold" 3000 now plans to take over Hollywood. In January, Kast will start shooting the HBO flick, "The Love Below" directed by long time Outast video director Brian Barber and will star Rosario Dawson. In addition, "Ice Cold" will act in two forthcoming films. First, he's set to play Jimi Hendrix in the Hughes Brothers directed "The Jimi Hendrix Story" and then he'll incarnate a character dubbed "Be Cool" in the sequel to "Get Shorty."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Albert Hughes Directing MGM's Art Con
Source: Variety

Albert Hughes will direct Art Con, a MGM film being developed by Michael Douglas' Furthur Films as a potential star vehicle for the actor in which he'd play a charming con man who masterminds ambitious art fraud scandals.

Variety reports that the latest draft of the script was written by Neal Purvis and Robert Wade, who scripted Die Another Day and are writing the script for the next installment of the James Bond franchise for MGM.

Hughes is coming aboard a project based on "Art Con of the Century," an investigative article in the New York Times Magazine written by Peter Landesman about John Drewe, a charismatic con man who in 1986 engaged a free-spirited painter-songwriter named John Myatt to forge paintings by master artists.

Myatt was so good that he routinely fooled respected art experts with his bogus canvases, and Drewe made a fortune brokering 200 fake masterpieces over a nine-year period.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Kung Fu' has brotherly love
Goodman rewriting script for Hughes brothers

Directors Allen and Albert Hughes will square off in "Kung Fu," the bigscreen adaptation of the 1970s classic TV series for Warner Bros.-based Legendary Pictures.

Cory Goodman ("Priest") is rewriting the script. Legendary's Thomas Tull, Scott Mednick and Jon Jashni are producing; series creator Ed Spielman exec produces.

The Hughes brothers, who blazed onto the scene with "Menace 2 Society," haven't helmed a feature since the 2002 Johnny Depp drama "From Hell."

Since then, they've become prolific blurb directors, doing spots with the likes of Kobe Bryant and Vince Carter for such brands as Pepsi, Coke, Reebok, Heineken, Adidas, Nike and Sprite. They also directed videos for such bands as Korn.

The brothers were among several hip directors who coveted the "Kung Fu" job, and it was an assignment they sought for two years. WB production prexy Jeff Robinov, who gave them the job, agented them before he became a studio exec.

Goodman will rewrite a script by Howard Friedlander -- a writer on the original series -- and Spielman. The Zen spirit of that David Carradine skein will be preserved in the film, which is on course for a production start next year.

Legendary and WB will co-finance. Goal is a 2008 release that will help foster WB's expansion into China and wrap nicely into promotion at the Beijing Olympics.

The producers have already reached out to the Shaolin Temple outside Beijing, where nonviolent monks train in martial arts and were the inspiration for the series protag, Caine.

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

I will bet one gazillion dollars that RZA does the score for this movie.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Hugheses bring hitman tale to bigscreen
Di Bonaventura, Blum to produce 'Ice'

Allen and Albert Hughes will direct a feature about Mafia hitman Richard "Ice Man" Kuklinski.

Producers Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Jason Blum have acquired screen rights to Philip Carlo book "The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer."

Both producers have first-look deals with Paramount, but they will wait until they assemble a full package before setting it up at a studio. They are seeking a writer to work with the Hughes brothers, who tackled serial killer turf in their last pic, the Johnny Depp starrer "From Hell."

At a hulking six-foot-four and 300 pounds, Kuklinski managed to become a prolific contract killer for the Gambino family while keeping his occupation a secret from his wife and three children in New Jersey. By his own account, Kuklinski killed as many as 200 people.

Before dying in prison while serving two life sentences, Kuklinski gave interviews to Carlo and others and bragged about his misdeeds."He is one of the darkest, most brutal and complicated killers in contemporary organized crime," said Blum. "He was a serial killer who found the perfect calling, carrying out hits for the Mafia."

Steven Schneider, who brought the project to Blum under a first-look deal he has with Blumhouse, will be co-producer.

Blum and di Bonaventura are also collaborating on "The Shop," a Paramount drama based on a Vanity Fair article by David Wise.

The WMA-repped Hughes brothers are expected to next helm "Kung Fu," a feature version of the TV series classic for Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures. They are waiting on a rewrite by Cory Goodman.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Hughes brothers set for 'Book of Eli'
Duo to direct post-apocalyptic drama for WB

Warner Bros. has set Allen and Albert Hughes to direct the post-apocalyptic drama "Book of Eli." Pic is expected to be the brothers' first feature to go into production since the 2001 thriller "From Hell."

Joel Silver is producing with Susan Downey and Erik Olsen.

Scripted by Gary Whitta, the drama revolves around a lone hero who fights his way across the wasteland of post-apocalyptic America. He's the protector of a sacred book that may hold the key to saving humanity.

After several years of turning down features, the Hughes brothers have gotten busy on the development front. They are attached to direct "The Ice Man," a fact-based film about Richard Kuklinski, a serial killer who found his calling as a Mafia hitman, with Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Jason Blum producing and Terry Winter scripting. They're also directing a screen version of the classic TV series "Kung Fu" for Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures based on Cory Goodman's script.

The studio and Silver are already out to cast on "Eli," and if they hook a star to play the lead, the film could go into production before year's end.

The Hughes brothers are repped by WMA.

Whitta scripted "The Reaper" for Media 8 and is currently writing "Diablo" for Legendary and Blizzard Entertainment.

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

they're the black wachowski brothers.

©brad

Quote from: mogwai on May 22, 2007, 10:29:59 AM
they're the black wachowski brothers.

if of course the wachowskis are still brothers..

mogwai

oh yes, you're right about that. but are we sure one of the w brothers actually... um you know zipped off his thing?

MacGuffin

Albert and Allen Hughes revisit 'Pimp'
HBO drama 'Gentlemen' reexamines 'American Pimp'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Albert and Allen Hughes are revisiting the settings and themes of their 1999 documentary "American Pimp" with "Gentlemen of Leisure," a drama series project for HBO.

Set in Oakland, Calif., "Leisure," which will be written by "Rescue Me" co-executive producer Evan Reilly, explores the world of prostitution through the eyes of a legendary pimp contemplating retirement.

"It's about a guy who wants to get out but keeps getting sucked back in by the allure of the game and by extraneous circumstances that have to do with his family," Reilly said.

"Leisure" will explore the generational conflict of old-school pimps living by honor codes and creeds who are being pushed aside by violent upstarts who are coming "with their guns blazing," mixing prostitution with drugs and thievery, Allen Hughes said.

"These are some of the themes from 'The Godfather' but in the world of pimping," he said.

The brothers are set to direct the potential pilot as well as exec produce with Reilly and Interscope's Jimmy Iovine and Polly Anthony.

Allen Hughes said the idea for the show came after several of their friends suggested they should make "American Pimp" into a drama series for HBO. The two were resistant at first until they realized that there haven't been shows about that subculture.

"This is the last island that has not been reached in television or film," Allen Hughes said.

He approached Iovine, who had been looking to an urban mob drama set in the world of hip-hop, and he and Anthony came on board.

"I was captivated by it," Anthony said.

Like other Interscope-produced projects, "Leisure" will have a strong music component, she said.

The Hughes, who most recently shepherded the USA Network series "Touching Evil," are looking to push the envelope with "Leisure."

"We haven't done a movie in eight years, and we're really interested in trying do something new," Allen Hughes said. "You're not going to see a bunch of colorful, goofy '70's pimps. This is a film noir-style urban drama based in rich characters that will explore the human conditions across the board."

Skeleton FilmWorks