Hilary Swank

Started by MacGuffin, May 13, 2005, 01:32:46 PM

MacGuffin

Paramount on FREEDOM March
Two-time Oscar winner Hilary Swank has been attracted to the lead in Freedoms Writers with Richard LaGravenese at the helm.
Source: FilmStew.com

Freedom rings over Paramount. The studio will both finance and distribute the Richard LaGravenese drama Freedom Writers, with two-time Oscar winner Hilary Swank set to star. Double Features' partners Michael Shamberg and Stacey Sher, who were previously teamed with Danny DeVito in Jersey Films, will produce with DeVito and Jersey, where the project was initially set up.

The project is based on the book The Freedom Writer's Diaries: How a Teacher and 150 Teens Used Writing to Change Themselves and the World Around Them, which was penned by teacher Erin Gruwell and her at-risk students. As a young teacher, Gruwell was assigned to a group of students deemed un-teachable. She used the works of Anne Frank and Zlata's Diary: A Child's Life in Sarajevo to teach the group tolerance, proving that her kids could learn.

Gruwell and her students went on to tour both Amsterdam and Sarajevo, and each one of the students later graduated high school. Now, most are either enrolled in or have graduated from college.

Pamela Abdy, who was involved in the project while working as President of Jersey, will now oversee for her new home, Paramount. Swank and Tracy Durning will be the executive producers.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Hilary Swank and Husband Chad Lowe Split

Two-time Oscar-winner Hilary Swank and actor husband Chad Lowe have separated after more than eight years of marriage.

"Hilary and Chad have decided to separate, but they are hopeful they'll be able to get through this tough time," Swank's manager Troy Nankin said in a statement Monday.

There was no elaboration on the reason for the split.

Swank, 31, and Lowe, who turns 38 on Jan. 15, were married on Sept. 28, 1997. They have no children.

Swank famously forgot to thank a tearful Lowe while accepting her best actress Oscar in 2000 for "Boys Don't Cry." Last year, Swank won again for "Million Dollar Baby" this time, thanking her husband.

She will next star in "The Black Dahlia," Brian De Palma's adaptation of James Ellroy's novel.

Lowe, who is the brother of actor Rob Lowe, won an Emmy Award for his portrayal of AIDS patient Jesse McKenna on the TV series "Life Goes On" in 1993.

David Rose, the actor's agent at Innovative Artists, said there would be no comment from Lowe.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 09, 2006, 06:44:53 PM

:multi:  i know that she use to look like that thing in se7en that was keep barely alive in the apartment tied to the bed...but i find her very attractive..and she's only 3 years older than me..plus she seems like a cool woman...in the interviews that i watched she doesnt come across as flakey or skanky...i think that she should date a film buff we know film and could advise her on advantageous career moves..

modage

that's sad (especially after the irony of forgetting him in the first oscar speech and then getting to rectify that during her 2nd one), but by that point she was JUST TOO FAMOUS to be with him.  i could see this coming.  one oscar, okay you can maybe get through it but TWO, no she's just too damn famous for you now unknown Lowe.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

Quote from: pyramid machine on January 09, 2006, 08:43:18 PM
Quote from: MacGuffin on January 09, 2006, 06:44:53 PM

:multi: i know that she use to look like that thing in se7en that was keep barely alive in the apartment tied to the bed...but i find her very attractive..and she's only 3 years older than me..plus she seems like a cool woman...in the interviews that i watched she doesnt come across as flakey or skanky...i think that she should date a film buff we know film and could advise her on advantageous career moves..
You'll have to get in line.  SoNowThen's prolly chompin' at her bit.

MacGuffin

Swank Spills Lowe-down

Guess the Oscar speech omission wasn't to blame after all. Though the snub heard round the world probably didn't help matters.

After months of keeping mum, Hilary Swank has opened up about her divorce from her husband of nearly nine years, Chad Lowe, telling Vanity Fair that the actor's "substance-abuse" problem contributed to their marital woes.

The two-time Oscar winner claims her ex's addiction problems played a part in their seemingly abrupt separation in January and official divorce filing in May.

"I knew something was happening but I didn't know what," she says in the August issue, on newsstands Wednesday.

"When I found out, it was such a shock because I never thought he'd keep something from me. And yet, on another level, it was a confirmation of something I was feeling that was keeping us from being completely solid.

"I don't want to make it seem like that's the sole reason; there were other factors. But that just kind of blew it open. It made me look at things a lot deeper. That's when you realize it's not going to work."

There was no initial comment from Lowe on Swank's remarks.

The 31-year-old actress did not disclose what Lowe's substance of choice was, though she did say he has been clean for more than three years.

"He's sober now," she said, adding, "When I found out, I wanted to be there. I knew it was the most important time of his life. That's when he needed me the most.

"It's an enormous obstacle to overcome, and he's doing it. He's living a sober life. I know how difficult it is, and I'm really proud of his sobriety."

For those doing the math, Swank's sobriety timeline pegs Lowe's clean-up act as taking place in 2003, two years before her Oscar-winning turn in Million Dollar Baby and three years after her infamous Oscar slight, wherein the Hollywood darling forgot to namecheck her other half during her Best Actress acceptance speech for Boys Don't Cry, a faux pas punctuated by numerous close-ups of her tearful hubby.

The rumor mill began circulating reports of trouble in paradise, blaming Swank's red-hot career on possible marriage problems.

The actress denied as much Vanity Fair.

"Chad is very supportive of my career. He is, I think, genuinely happy for my success...I think that any frustration for him stemmed from the lack of opportunities in his own career."

Lowe's career has played out in the shadows of not only Swank but also of brother Rob, having mostly stalled with starring roles in low-key TV movies and bit parts in forgettable big-screen ventures since his 1993 Emmy win for Life Goes On.

Swank, meanwhile, says she assumes some measure of responsibility for the breakup.

"It takes two make something work or not work," she said. "I'm a person with my own faults and troubles. In the end, it just didn't work, but I would never look back on this relationship as failed. I look at it as 13 1/2 years of success."

Swank first met Lowe, 38, in 1992 at a party at the Hollywood Athletic Club. She later described the meeting as "love at first sight."

She told the magazine that it wasn't a feeling she intended on having again any time soon.

"I thought of it--of that whole world--I can't imagine it! I can't imagine going out right now and trying to find someone else to be with."

Despite the disintegration of her marriage, Swank says she's living the good life.

"When I told you I'm the happiest I've ever been, it's not because I'm getting a divorce," she says in Vanity Fair. "It's because I'm living in truth now. My happiness has stemmed from being brutally honest with myself, facing the truth every single day, no matter what."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Hilary Swank stuck in the Labyrinth
Source: Moviehole

The lovely Oscar fave has signed to star in a remake of the French film "Labyrinth" (2003), about a mental patient who suffers from a multiple personality syndrome, giving her unique abilities to track murderers. Due to her condition though, investigators are forced to get into the labyrinth of her mind to solve the murders.

Russel Gewitz will write the remake for Summit, with Swank playing the mental patient.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pozer

I see a Cuba Gooding Jr. future for this broad.