Punch-Drunk Love single disc?

Started by TheVoiceOfNick, October 30, 2003, 05:00:38 PM

TheVoiceOfNick

I just read on a bunch of sites that this will be released December 2... is this a stripped-down rental-type of thing?

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I can't imagine it being done justice without being loaded with special features.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Ravi

Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobI can't imagine it being done justice without being loaded with special features.

I'm still waiting for it to happen...

Banky

yeah it had weak special features minus mattress man

TheVoiceOfNick

Yeah.... I loved PDL, but I must admit its one of the SHITTIEST DVDs of a good movie, that i know of... I bet for the stripped down version, they can still have all of those extras, just compress it at a lower bitrate... no one will care or notice... not for a rental...

SoNowThen

from what I heard, it's just disc one from the two disc set.

yeah, those were definitely the shittest special features on a good disc, by far, I think... tres disappointing...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ravi

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickYeah.... I loved PDL, but I must admit its one of the SHITTIEST DVDs of a good movie, that i know of... I bet for the stripped down version, they can still have all of those extras, just compress it at a lower bitrate... no one will care or notice... not for a rental...

Even with the DTS track they might have been able to fit those supplements on the same disc as the movie.  There can't be more than 30 minutes of extras, and the film is only 95 minutes long.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: Ravi
Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickYeah.... I loved PDL, but I must admit its one of the SHITTIEST DVDs of a good movie, that i know of... I bet for the stripped down version, they can still have all of those extras, just compress it at a lower bitrate... no one will care or notice... not for a rental...

Even with the DTS track they might have been able to fit those supplements on the same disc as the movie.  There can't be more than 30 minutes of extras, and the film is only 95 minutes long.

I've always felt violated as to the lack of special features on the PDL disc... I wish PTA could release another definative version like he did with Magnolia and Boogie Nights... I want make-of featurettes, etc... of course, i'm a little spoiled now anyways... I just have to think back to how none of my Woody Allen discs have anything but "widescreen presentation" as a special feature anyways...

NEON MERCURY

..i'm waitinfg for the day that they list the "packaging" as a special feature....

Ghostboy

Come on guys, the specialest feature of them all is the movie itself! That's all I need.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: Bankyyeah it had weak special features minus mattress man

Yeah, all the extra-features were crap.

Ravi

Quote from: GhostboyCome on guys, the specialest feature of them all is the movie itself! That's all I need.

That's true.  As long as the movie looks and sounds good I am fine.  But if they're going to bother to include a second disc, it might as well contain something interesting.  I think they should have made this a single disc and lowered the MSRP in the first place.

Cecil

will you people stop complaining about the pdl special features (or lack of), youre all spoiled rotten

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: NEON MERCURY..i'm waitinfg for the day that they list the "packaging" as a special feature....

I've seen this before... something like "special keep-case"... you see it a lot on low-budget DVDs that you can buy new for $5.99.