House of Cards

Started by wilder, March 15, 2011, 08:59:44 PM

Kal

So nobody cares about this anymore?

ono

No, tictacbk summed it up.  Binge watching sucks for actually talking about things.  I enjoyed the 3rd season greatly, but what is there to say?  So much, so little.  I have little energy right now.  I will say Vlad was boring for me at first, but I loved all the asides and seeing Underwood spar with someone who was basically him but unconstrained.  Claire is an idiot, but she means well (shades of Jenny? -- no, check that, Forrest was better off without her, whereas Claire helped make Frank, but wants way too much).  Poor Gavin.  Yay(?) serial killer Doug.  Could that van BE anymore rape-y?  Nice bit of editing there.

See how I skipped over like 12 episodes of events?  I love you, Netflix, but get your release schedule in check.  At least stagger them day to day if not week to week.

Tictacbk

What Ono said.

I just finished season 3, so here's a block of text about what i think (spoilers):  It was fine.  Still fantastically made, if not always fantastically written.  It felt like it was stalling a bit.  I found it hard to care about a lot of the things that were going on.  I even didn't mind the binge release strategy as much this time around, because I didn't think there was all that much to discuss.  For instance, why do I care if Frank gets 10 million americans jobs, or achieves peace in the Jordan valley?  Or rather, why should I think Frank cares?  He certainly doesn't about people -- the show has gone to great lengths to show that.  I imagine he cares about legacy, but why isn't he concocting some kind of legacy-making plan that plays more to his strengths?  Anywho, none of it matters once the season moves into election mode. Like...really doesn't matter.  You think Frank's Presidential failings are going to keep him from winning in Iowa, that Dunbar is going to prove a worthy opponent (and maybe even dominate once Jackie sides with her), that something from Frank's past might rear its ugly head, and then Frank just... wins.  Which is actually kind of interesting.  But then what the hell were the first 9 or so episodes for? 

I like Claire.  The Claire stuff was good, and Robin Wright is wonderful.  They spent a lot of time toward the end (once in "election mode"), focusing on how important she is to Frank's success.  I actually thought she was going to pull a "Frank" on Frank (especially once she busted out the rowing machine), and tell him she wanted to be his VP or else she'd support Dunbar, causing him to surely lose.  Seriously, she should do that.

-Random Side Note: half the finale felt like a Breaking Bad reference.

It bothers me when people over praise this show.  But it IS fun.  I'll gladly welcome 13 more episodes next February, because, why not?  I won't give them much thought, I'll just fucking binge watch them.

modage

Quote from: Kal on March 10, 2015, 11:56:45 AM
So nobody cares about this anymore?
I'm 4 episodes from the end and surprised I made it this long. Thought season 2 was pretty terrible and soapy and did not think I would continue watching. And yet somehow, Season 3 is kinda back to being a little more restrained and low-key (so far anyway) so I've enjoyed it (though not nearly as much as S1, I think Stoll and Mara were not easy to replace). But it is interesting to see that a show can jump the shark completely and then actually recover for a sustained amount of time which, I don't think I've ever really seen before.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Im sorry but i am genuinely amazed that people still watch this.

Sleepless

'House of Cards' Canceled; Netflix 'Deeply Troubled' by Spacey Assault Claim

Edit: That headline is kinda misleading as the suggestion is that this currently-shooting season was intended to be the last anyway. I don't know. I never watched.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.