Check this out folks... (another list) Guardian list

Started by SoNowThen, November 14, 2003, 10:56:31 AM

Ghostboy

I'm glad I took a look to see if there was already a post about this, since I was going to post it myself. Whether or not you agree with the placement or take issue with exclusions, this is a fantastic list. Everyone on it deserves to be on it...if anything, it could be ten directors longer and it would probably be the list of most important filmmakers ever, rather than those currently working. It just makes my head feel good, somehow, to see such a great group of creative geniuses grouped together.

One thing I appreciated, beyond the obvious ones: the blurb about the Wachowskis. Sequels be damned, their intial vision changed blockbuster filmmaking about 50 percent much as Lucas did in 77, for better or worse, and that's quite an accomplishment.

If they do another one of these lists in ten years, I hope at least four members of this messageboard are on it. Including myself.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: GhostboyIf they do another one of these lists in ten years, I hope at least four members of this messageboard are on it. Including myself.
other 3?...fess up....you on the spot!!!

Ghostboy

No one in particular. On a site full of budding and determined talent, natural selection dictates that at least a handful of us should make it (I just totally made that up, of course). Sheer optimism (and a pinch of egotism -- but not egoism) mandates that I include myself amongst the future success stories.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Ghostboymandates that I include myself amongst the future success stories.
lemme buy you a drink at the oscar after party...sonowthen and pedro can come too.

hehehehe.

Xixax mike will be nominated for 4 "best actor" awards that night...let's indulge.  and check out some hot hollywood ass in the corner, wit our drinks...laughing in our egotismistic melodies...

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: GhostboyIf they do another one of these lists in ten years, I hope at least four members of this messageboard are on it. Including myself.
I like that. It makes me smile.
If only because I include myself in that group of four.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Pubrick

one of us is already on it.
under the paving stones.

SHAFTR

My Thoughts on the list.

No way should the Wachowski Bros be on that list.  Lynch shouldn't be #1 and Scorsese is ranked a little high for current directors.  Nice to see Myazaki & Kiarostami on the list.  I think Wong Kar-Wai should have been higher than 14, probably top 10 atleast.  I still think Tarantino should be higher, on influence alone.  Nice to see Wes and PTA on the list as well.  Coen Bros seemed a little high...
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ono

Quote from: The Silver Bullet
I like that. It makes me smile.
If only because I include myself in that group of four.
Dibs on the third spot.  :-P

MacGuffin

Quote from: SHAFTRNo way should the Wachowski Bros be on that list.

Why?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: SHAFTRNo way should the Wachowski Bros be on that list.

Why?

They made Bound, didn't receive much attention when it came out, but after the matrix people decided it was some kind of hidden gem.  Bound is good, but nothing spectacular.  The Matrix blew the world away, but one film shouldn't be enough to be on a top 40 list.  Reloaded and Revolutions were average - bad films.

EDIT:  adding more...

I don't think I have said enough.  In my opinion,
Bound:  good debut film, sparks of genius in it but not quite developed
The Matrix:  great film, rejuvenated the action genre
The Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions:  beating the same ol' pony to death

The Matrix / Bound are also very very similiar.  I think there is a fine line between authorial signature and doing the same tricks.  Watching Bound (I saw it after The Matrix), I couldn't help but feel the latter.  Plus, The Matrix is already 4 years old with this poll.  I don't think their recent films add up enough to be on this list.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: Pone of us is already on it.
Probably me.

:shock:
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.

Pubrick

Probably me.

or is it me?
under the paving stones.

molly

Quote from: P
Probably me.

or is it me?

something with wings and pointy face.

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: Por is it me?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's me.
  • A hare.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: SHAFTRI still think Tarantino should be higher, on influence alone.  Nice to see Wes and PTA on the list as well.  Coen Bros seemed a little high...

The Coens are never high enough, man. You should know that.
Si