WTF with Marc Maron (Podcast)

Started by Reel, August 25, 2011, 04:15:44 AM

RegularKarate

I love Maron and have been listening to him off and on since episode 1 (even saw his live WTFs a few times).
I don't think, however; that he'd necessarily be able to pull the same out of non-comics.  He has a connection with these people.  They feel more comfortable with him because he's got the experience that he does and they know him and can open up for him.

I think if he got a show on TV that was interviews only, he'd have to start with mostly comics and branch out once his reputation got big enough for people to feel comfortable with him.  I also don't think that's exactly what he wants to do.  He's still a comic and he's a funny guy and he wants to be able to be creative and funny and not locked into just doing interviews.

Also, I love Todd Glass and while I'm not surprised, I am really glad he's gotten this stuff out.  It will only make him a better comic.

Reel

Quote from: RegularKarate on January 17, 2012, 03:35:27 PM
I don't think, however; that he'd necessarily be able to pull the same out of non-comics.  He has a connection with these people.  They feel more comfortable with him because he's got the experience that he does and they know him and can open up for him.

Yeah, exactly. He found his legs talking to comics, writers, actors, and directors. No need to sacrifice entertainment for the greater good.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: RegularKarate on January 17, 2012, 03:35:27 PMI don't think, however; that he'd necessarily be able to pull the same out of non-comics

What about his interviews with non-comics, like Ira Glass for example?

RegularKarate

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on January 17, 2012, 05:14:53 PM
Quote from: RegularKarate on January 17, 2012, 03:35:27 PMI don't think, however; that he'd necessarily be able to pull the same out of non-comics

What about his interviews with non-comics, like Ira Glass for example?

Ira Glass was a fellow radio host.

Jeremy Blackman

Ugh... you got me there.

Still, you really don't think he could pull it off? Ira Glass for example was really guarded and even nervous in that interview, but Maron managed to get all sorts of things out of him. And not because of radio host camaraderie (IIRC).

©brad

Quote from: RegularKarate on January 17, 2012, 03:35:27 PM
I love Maron and have been listening to him off and on since episode 1 (even saw his live WTFs a few times).

He did great interviews with Jon Hamm, Bryan Cranston and Anthony Bourdain, all non-comics. I think he can pull it off.

I'm a Maron addict now, thanks to you guys. Can't wait to listen to Todd Glass.

By the way, I assume most of you caught the Patrice O'neal podcast a few weeks back that he reposted when Patrice passed away? I love his comedy but man was he a shamelessly misogynistic son of a bitch.

Reel

Quote from: ©brad on January 18, 2012, 10:38:37 AM
I assume most of you caught the Patrice O'neal podcast a few weeks back that he reposted when Patrice passed away? I love his comedy but man was he a shamelessly misogynistic son of a bitch.

Yeah, he was shamelessly racist and prejudiced too. As misinformed as he could sometimes be, I just loved his don't give a fuck attitude. On O & A, he would often go on some tangent about women or race that would make me so pissed at him, then turn it around and have me laughing by the end.

I wonder what people's favorite episodes are? Conan's interview was the first one to draw me in and show a different side of his personality that just made me so excited for this show. I wish I could get WTF premium, there are too many episodes that I've missed.

RegularKarate

Bourdain considers himself a comedy writer of sorts, John Hamm is part of the UCBWest comedy scene, and Cranston's roots are in comedy.

STILL, I'm not saying he wouldn't be able to handle non-comedy, I'm saying that it wouldn't be as natural as it is with the comics AT FIRST... the man's pretty amazing and I'm sure his reputation alone would eventually make a lot of people at ease with him.  Comedy aside, there's something about being able to open up to someone who is so openly neurotic.

Jeremy Blackman

He could have a show where he sticks to interviewing performers/artists. It's a pretty large category and a pretty deep well, and none of that would be a stretch for him, even at this stage.

But mostly, I'd like to see him in a shorter, better-produced format.

Jeremy Blackman

In anticipation of the forum reorganization, this podcast now has its own topic.

Reel

Diablo Cody on Thursday.. so excited!

In the meantime, Big Jay Oakerson was a good listen:

DO IT!

Reel

Morgan Spurlock's "A Day in the Life" episode on Maron premieres today on Hulu. Hope the link works okay for everybody, I'm unable to install adobe flash player on my computer, so until I see this, I offer a genuine, heartfelt Fuck You to anyone watching. 

BTW, Mindy Kaling on the show today. Find the link and press click.

Pubrick

Quote from: Reelist on March 12, 2012, 10:19:59 AM
I'm unable to install adobe flash player on my computer,     

WTF indeed.

How do you watch.. anything? Especially adult anything.
under the paving stones.

polkablues

Watched the Day in the Life thing. Marc Maron is an interesting guy, but HOLY CRAP is he a downer.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel