The Office

Started by Redlum, September 19, 2003, 11:46:50 AM

Redlum

Doing the rounds on radio stations here is the rumour that Spielberg has spoken to Ricky Gervais about taking The Office to Hollywood. Hasn't been confirmed yet though.

The Dance that made him famous.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/theoffice/renaissance/index.shtml
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Find Your Magali

This show is fantastic! I watched 5 of the 6 episodes of Season 1 on DVD yesterday. ... I'll watch the last one tonight, and then Season 2 debuts on BBC America tomorrow (Sunday) night at 9 p.m. (great timing  :-D )

"Get my guitar" could be a catchphrase worthy of anything from "Office Space."

The thing that really surprises me about the show is that while it's as funny and mean-spirited as everyone says, it has a big heart, with the Tim-Dawn subplot. Great stuff.

Jeremy Blackman

Bold statement: David Brent is one of the most fascinating characters of all time.

Find Your Magali

Agree wholeheartedly.

rustinglass

"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

cine

Quote from: rustinglasswhoa, deja vu
Yeah, you would.

Chest Rockwell

I haven't even heard of this show, besides the Golden Globes. Does it air in the US?

Sleuth

I think it aired on some cable channel.  I've never seen it

they're going to American-ize it the same way they did Coupling which died after 1 or 2 episodes
I like to hug dogs

Ravi

Best Buy is having a deal this week where if you buy seasons 1 and 2, you save $10.

lamas

anyone know anything about the christmas special episodes and whether or not that DVD will be released in america anytime soon?  i've seen some people selling it on ebay.

SHAFTR

I finally saw season 1.  It took me a couple of the episodes for me to get into it, but once I did it was great.  I imagine they have great replay value.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Ravi

http://www.bbcshop.com/invt/bbcdvd1374

October 25th in the UK.  No word on a US release, though I suspect it would be around the same time.

Raikus

Thank God for Bit Torrent. The Christmas episodes really wrapped the series up nicely. It's going to be a while before a comedy series comes along that grows on you as well as The Office.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

picolas

has anyone else noticed that it loses most of its former glory in the second series?

i don't understand what happened.

example featuring quasi spoilers for the first and second series:
every episode in the first series ends (ie cuts quick, in a really funny way, to credits) with a clear, conclusive, shocking line. often the dumbest, or most hypocritical thing that could be said.
in the second series, (at least the three episodes i've seen so far), every episode ends with a dumb, inconclusive, or vaguely uncalled-for awkward silence.

Ravi

The second series goes for a more serious tone, but that was what I was hoping for going into it.  The first one is mostly fun and games, but in the second one we actually see some repercussions for David Brent's general incompetence.