The Office

Started by Redlum, September 19, 2003, 11:46:50 AM

Weak2ndAct

Consider me shocked, the show got picked up for another season.  I really need to sit down and watch those last four eps.

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?

Weak2ndAct

I just saw 'The Alliance' and 'Basketball,' eps. 3 and 4.  They get better with every episode.  Rainn Wilson has really started developing Dwight into his own entity, which is nice.  The Basketball ep is hands down the best yet, and finally starts reaching the levels of hilarity and insanity of the original.  Not as tragic, but ridiculously funny.

hedwig

Ravi

I can't wait to not buy that.

polkablues

Quote from: RaviI can't wait to not buy that.

Totally.  I'll watch it for free, coz it's still better than most network comedies nowadays, but hell if I'm paying good money for it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

i saw the first series on these last two days and i liked it tons, even though it was hard to digest at first. i had to listen to all of it with headphones because these guys speak very rapidly. but it was  not because of the format (cos i think it'd be pointless if it wasn't made in fake-documentary fashion) - the humour was very sour. then it struck me that this wasn't about humour nor drama, it's this poignant observation on spacework that happens to be touching at times and has the stuff of universality like the good series (simpsons, frgreaks). i'm getting the second series as we speak, but so far , a  :bravo:  to ricky gervais.
context, context, context.

modage

it will be confusing to see which series people are talking about soon.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

context, context, context.

polkablues

I'd just like to take this opportunity to point out that the American version has gotten really, really good this season.  It's becoming its own show.  I don't even think to compare it to the original anymore.  The one where they had the office awards ceremony at Chili's and Pam got so drunk that she was banned from the restaurant was fantastic.

They also finally realized that for the boss character to work, he couldn't just be a buffoon; you had to feel sorry for him as well.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

yes, i'll second that as well.  i dont compare the two shows anymore at all and have since enjoyed the new version for being what it is.  the jim/pam relationship is a little more obvious in this one and that bugs me but atleast they've managed to resist temptation of getting them together which will be death for the show. 

i listened to the gervais podcast yesterday.  (you can subscribe to all 12 30 min episodes on iTunes).   it was pretty hilarious.  i cant believe that Karl Pilkington is actually that dumb, it seems more like a guy playing a character.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

Quote from: cronopio on December 06, 2005, 09:50:05 AM
listen to gervais' podcast here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/rickygervais/0,16850,1652674,00.html

Incredible.  I layed on my couch listening to this giggling like a schoolgirl.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Ravi

Quote from: SHAFTR on December 06, 2005, 03:04:59 PM

Yeah, but you always do that.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Ravi on December 06, 2005, 05:50:42 PM
Quote from: SHAFTR on December 06, 2005, 03:04:59 PM

Yeah, but you always do that.

True, although normally I just do it in silence
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Redlum

I don't think this has been posted yet... Gervais is doing a series where he meets his heroes. In the can already is an hour long episode where he meets Larry David. I think its being broadcast soon after christmas.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas