Tom Cruise on Inside the Actor's Studio

Started by BrainSushi, January 11, 2004, 06:06:55 AM

Pubrick

Quote from: themodernage02he must be real fucked up because he refused to admit anything about having a tough childhood or that it sucked being moved around alot.  or that it was tough being poor.  he REFUSED to admit it. he would skate around it.  instead of just going 'yeah, it was', he was like "it was a challenge".  or "it was an adventure, it was always interesting".  i had no idea what a rough upbringing the cruise had and how he must have a steel  shell around his heart to prevent his world from crashing down by using all these positive spins on things.  i feel bad for the cruise.  i realized that 3 of his flicks are in my  top 20 of all time magnolia, eyes wide shut and jerry maguire.  and if i didnt limit myself to one per director id be tempted to put minority report in as well. i love that movie.
seriously. i think he's got a major bi-polar personality disorder thing going on. i came up with this theory when he grew the beard and started acting and looking exactly like this friend of mine who is wacky. he puts the exact same spin on everything, never acknowledging that sumthing is wrong. oh and he is the most helpful person in the world, always trying to please everyone. yep that's tom. holy shit they hav the same name too. seriously.
under the paving stones.

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
Quote from: ©bradthey're actors/students at a university.

a-ha.!.....thanks.....

is the show always at the same university?....(i guess somewhere in LA?)..
that would be cool to be apart of that audience...you get to be innnvolved in a Q&A..w/ some A-list talent.....which is nice.....

from my experience from watching these show(albeit somewhat limited)...when they get to the part at the end where they ask questions there is always..that one white guy w/glasses .and that silly grin on his face who always asks the dumbest question.....

and lastly ....the host kind of freaks me out.......

The New School Unversity in NY

I have a friend who just graduated from their masters program.  She also ended up on an "inside the actor's studio" promo for a long time.
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

Victor

Quote from: themodernage02
1.  i cant believe that the story with his father so CLOSELY parallels his own real life.  

Quote from: themodernage02
2. i cant believe how stubborn he was to admit that he drew in any way on his real experience to film that scene.  he avoided it by going into an 8 minute explanation of 'doing the homework, living the moment' and REFUSED to implicate his real memory having anything to do with his performance in the scene.

3. funny how they didnt mention Days of Thunder, meeting his wife Nicole, working with her again on Far and Away and then finally on Eyes Wide Shut which they mentioned but breezed the fuck through.

he must be real fucked up because he refused to admit anything about having a tough childhood or that it sucked being moved around alot.  or that it was tough being poor.  he REFUSED to admit it. he would skate around it.  instead of just going 'yeah, it was', he was like "it was a challenge".  or "it was an adventure, it was always interesting".  i had no idea what a rough upbringing the cruise had and how he must have a steel  shell around his heart to prevent his world from crashing down by using all these positive spins on things

the avoidance of personal questions in an interview -- very Mackeyish as well.
are you gonna eat with us too?

ono

Quote from: NEON MERCURYand lastly ....the host kind of freaks me out.......
If you think the real thing is crazy, you should check out Will Farrell's impression if you haven't already.

I want to see this interview.

Alethia

ono

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI don't get Bravo.

Gamblour.

First off, he acted just like Mackey, it was really weird, I'm starting to agree with whoever said it that maybe that was his best role because he actually is that cocky and stuff, but I dunno enough about Cruise to make that assumption.

I dunno, I didn't think the interview was too great. I fucking hated hated HATED how the audience clapped after they mentioned every goddamn movie, I fucking hated that, I hate fucking audiences, they are such mob-mentality pieces of shit, like herds of sheep. Besides that, I thought that between the masturbatory glorification of all his aides and all the people he's worked with, all the clapping, and all the clips they showed, there wasn't much of an interview. I felt like I was reading an IMDb biography. He just kept saying, this is great, that is amazing, blah blah, no personality, no insight, I didn't feel enlightened. And that host needs to not have a mustache ever.
WWPTAD?

NEON MERCURY

i lerned 3 things from the show....

tom likes black colored clothes.....
the host  moves like he has strings attached to him......
and brian de palma wears new balances.......

Gamblour.

Another part I didn't like is when Tom Cruise called himself an artist, I'm not saying he isn't one, I just dunno if that should a self-prescribed term. Because art is something that comes out of something else, I've always one would be an actor who is good enough to produce art, and therefore, an artist. But maybe my semantic logic is out of place.
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Gambloren das ManhörenI dunno, I didn't think the interview was too great. I fucking hated hated HATED how the audience clapped after they mentioned every goddamn movie, I fucking hated that, I hate fucking audiences, they are such mob-mentality pieces of shit, like herds of sheep. Besides that, I thought that between the masturbatory glorification of all his aides and all the people he's worked with, all the clapping, and all the clips they showed, there wasn't much of an interview. I felt like I was reading an IMDb biography. He just kept saying, this is great, that is amazing, blah blah, no personality, no insight, I didn't feel enlightened. And that host needs to not have a mustache ever.

Have you never watched the show before? It's basically a "This Is Your Life" filmography with every guest. I don't see what's wrong with the clapping. If you're there to see a guest you admire and have praise for, wouldn't you want to show your appreciation and how much you enjoyed their work in a particular film with applause?

I just wanna know, with all the people to have as guests in upcoming episodes, why Jay Leno? Are they gonna just talk about "American Hot Wax" and "Collision Course" for an hour? Or maybe do a 'filmography' of all of his appearances in movies with the characters watching "The Tonight Show" on TV...

Lipton: And after you were seen in "Wag The Dog" being watched by Robert DeNiro, you were next seen on TV in what movie?
Leno (nodding): "EDTV"
*Audience applaudes*
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleuth

Don't forget the Dorito's commercials.  Never forget.
I like to hug dogs

Gamblour.

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Gambloren das ManhörenI dunno, I didn't think the interview was too great. I fucking hated hated HATED how the audience clapped after they mentioned every goddamn movie, I fucking hated that, I hate fucking audiences, they are such mob-mentality pieces of shit, like herds of sheep. Besides that, I thought that between the masturbatory glorification of all his aides and all the people he's worked with, all the clapping, and all the clips they showed, there wasn't much of an interview. I felt like I was reading an IMDb biography. He just kept saying, this is great, that is amazing, blah blah, no personality, no insight, I didn't feel enlightened. And that host needs to not have a mustache ever.

Have you never watched the show before? It's basically a "This Is Your Life" filmography with every guest. I don't see what's wrong with the clapping. If you're there to see a guest you admire and have praise for, wouldn't you want to show your appreciation and how much you enjoyed their work in a particular film with applause?

I've never watched the show before. If every interview is like that, I guess I don't like the show in general. I assumed a show about actors would talk more about techniques of the individual, but I was wrong. My hatred for applauding comes from the fact that first off, audiences seem to feel obligated to do it, moreso like they can't live without doing it, when all it does is really piss me off and waste time. If they appreciate his work so much, applaude at the beginning and the end. Shit, he should know they appreciate him because they showed up to the interview. They don't need to show it ever minute. Secondly, when they're interviewing a guy like Cruise and they name off every movie he's done, we're talking 20-30 rounds of applause, I mean, does this not seem in the least bit ridiculous? The show is about Tom Cruise not about Tom Cruise's fans and how much they can please him by applauding. The more I think about it, the more I truly hate the way they did that show. I'll stick with Charlie Rose.
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Gambloren das ManhörenMy hatred for applauding comes from the fact that first off, audiences seem to feel obligated to do it, moreso like they can't live without doing it, when all it does is really piss me off and waste time. If they appreciate his work so much, applaude at the beginning and the end. Shit, he should know they appreciate him because they showed up to the interview. They don't need to show it ever minute. Secondly, when they're interviewing a guy like Cruise and they name off every movie he's done, we're talking 20-30 rounds of applause, I mean, does this not seem in the least bit ridiculous? The show is about Tom Cruise not about Tom Cruise's fans and how much they can please him by applauding. The more I think about it, the more I truly hate the way they did that show. I'll stick with Charlie Rose.

Once again, I don't see what's wrong with it. Applause is a form of appreciation; of gratitude; of respect. You mean to tell me, you wouldn't clap if you were there? I think that's a terrible insult and rude to the 'artist'. And they did appreciate him attending the interview. It was shown through their applause. I'm sure some members were doing out of politeness when certain films were mentioned, but they are made up of students and their applause is the best way to show that they enjoyed a great performance and/or movie for whatever film was announced, and many were enthusiastic about certain films that obviously had an impact on themselves. I don't get how appreciation would be shown by clapping just at the beginning and the end of the show.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

dude, inside the actors studio is fucking weak, that's why ppl hate it.

the audience claps at everything because they're phony, they are there because the show is phony.

in theory ppl shouldn't clap to be phony. the worst offender is sumthing like The View, that get standing ovations when sumone shares a cooking recipe. but that's why these shows are generally accepted as suckful.
under the paving stones.

©brad

Quote from: themodernage021.  i cant believe that the story with his father so CLOSELY parallels his own real life.

no shit. he talked about that in the beginning, and i was like, uhhh, hellooooooo. even he mentioned that when he first read the script, he went to paul and was like "come on man, did you know about this?" crazy. makes the scene all the more potent.

Quote from: Gambloren das Manhoren wroteMy hatred for applauding comes from the fact that first off, audiences seem to feel obligated to do it, moreso like they can't live without doing it, when all it does is really piss me off and waste time. If they appreciate his work so much, applaude at the beginning and the end. Shit, he should know they appreciate him because they showed up to the interview. They don't need to show it ever minute. Secondly, when they're interviewing a guy like Cruise and they name off every movie he's done, we're talking 20-30 rounds of applause, I mean, does this not seem in the least bit ridiculous? The show is about Tom Cruise not about Tom Cruise's fans and how much they can please him by applauding. The more I think about it, the more I truly hate the way they did that show. I'll stick with Charlie Rose.

and what's the big deal about clapping? jesus, lighten up. if anything, it shows which of the works is the audience favorite. like magnolia got a huge round of applause. what's wrong with that?

i'd take john lipton's interviews over the dry, dull, ever-interrupting charlie rose any day of the week.