Adam's Apples (Danish film)

Started by Sigur Rós, April 18, 2005, 06:59:43 AM

Sigur Rós

This movie will probably never show in the US. But I really want to bring peoples attention to it anyway. Everything about this movie is so different...the humor, the plot, the setting. The director/screenwriter Anders Thomas Jensen has in my oppinion created his own genre. I think he is the best european screenwriter working today. No doubt he will be directing/writing American films in the future.

Adam's Apples/Adams Æbler

The comedy "Adam's Apples" is a modern religious fable about belief and the struggle between good and evil. Adam, a neo-Nazi, is sent on community service with the priest Ivan. Ivan gives Adam the task of baking an apple pie with the apples from the tree growing in front of the church. Meanwhile birds, worms and lightning attack the apples. Ivan believes it is the work of the Devil, who is testing them. Adam believes it is God, because perhaps evil doesn't exist at all.

The Director: Anders Thomas Jensen

Anders Thomas Jensen: Born 1972, Denmark. Writer-director. Jensen's short films are studded with awards. In three consecutive years he had a short film nominated for an Acadamy Award, films produced by M & M Productions and written and directed by Jensen himself: "Ernst & Lyset"/"Ernst & the Light" (1996, co-directed with Thomas Villum Jensen), "Wolfgang" (1997), and Oscar-winner "Valgaften"/"Election Night" (1998). His feature film debut "Blinkende Lygter"/"Flickering Lights" (2000) was a box office success; critics ranked the film as a brilliant and witty buddy movie. Success was repeated with "De grønne slagter"/"The Green Butchers" (2003). Wrote the screenplay for three Dogme films: "Mifune" (1999), "The King is Alive" (2001), "Elsker dig for evigt"/"Open Hearts" (2002) and "Brothers" (2004). Third feature film as writer-director: "Adams æbler"/"Adam's Apples".

Credits

ENGLISH TITLE Adam's Apples DANISH TITLE Adams Æbler CATEGORY Comedy COUNTRY OF ORIGIN Denmark RELEASE 15.04.2005 TECHNICAL DATA 35mm / 2.35:1 / Dolby SR RUNNING TIME 94 min / 2679 m / 6 reels LANGUAGE Danish dialogue, English subtitles DIRECTOR Anders Thomas Jensen SCREENPLAY Anders Thomas Jensen DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY Sebastian Makker Blenkov PRODUCTION DESIGNER Mia Steensgaard EDITOR Anders Villadsen SOUND Morten Degnbol COMPOSER Jeppe Kaas APPEARANCES Ulrich Thomsen, Mads Mikkelsen, Nicolas Bro, Paprika Steen, Ali Kazim, Ole Thestrup, Gyrd Løfqvist

The Perineum Falcon

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Rudie Obias

with the score from THE 25th HOUR
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff