weirdest movies ever

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 13, 2003, 03:24:36 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: budgieIs it going to have juicy extras? My Region 2 has nothing cept a trailer.

I put in my order a loooooooong time ago. The thing I remember about it was that it came in a square box with a booklet. But extras on the DVD, have no idea.

QuoteGuffy, what's so weird about Edward II? If anything I think it's his most accessible (with Caravaggio). If you want Jarman unorthodox, The Garden, Last of England, Jubilee and Blue are much less conventional. And War Requiem is well worth seeing. If you haven't seen it, you might hate his version of The Tempest with a passion, Jeremy... but anyhow maybe Jarman doesn't really fit into your idea of weird, which seems to be more 'surreal'?

I wouldn't say weird, more strange. Obviously it was low budget, but the way they used that to their advantage to set a tone that was very 'different'. I haven't seen those other titles, thanks for the tips.

QuotePeter Greenaway?

Yes, "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover" comes to mind.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Quote from: budgie

Jan Svankmajer? His Alice is creepy. Little Otik is the only other one I've seen (I think), and that might get you, although personally I didn't think it was half weird enough, but then my strangeness palate is a little jaded.

I suppose you've seen La Belle et la Bete and Orphee?

SVANKMAJER!  Of course... Faust is also good, but I'd say Alice is my favorite of his that I've seen.

Anything by the brothers Quay is good too, lots of short films you can rent.

If you've never seen anything by them, the Tool videos are basically a rip off of thier style.

budgie

Quote from: MacGuffinFrom the man himself off his website:

"DAVIDLYNCH [7:18 PM PST]: I HAVE VERY BAD NEWS ABOUT ERASERHEAD -- WE HAVE HAD NO LUCK GETTING A GOOD CHECK DISC AND ARE NOW MOVING TO A NEW COMPANY -- ERASERHEAD WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE (?) FOR CHRISTMAS [2002] .... THIS IS VERY BAD BECAUSE IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN AND I AM PRETTY SICK ABOUT IT."

Wait a minute... MacGuffin, are you telling me that you are a member?

MacGuffin

Quote from: budgieWait a minute... MacGuffin, are you telling me that you are a member?

No.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

BonBon85

Decasia - One long hour of decaying film stock

polkablues

Quote from: MacGuffinYes, "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover" comes to mind.

And that's probably Greenaway's most straight-forward (except maybe "The Draughtman's Contract").  

"Drowing by Numbers", "A Zed and Two Noughts", "Belly of an Architect", are all very uniquely bizzare films.
My house, my rules, my coffee

SubstanceD

Tales From Gimili Hospital
Stubborn as a thousand born agains avoiding questions.

Ghostboy

Or anything else by Guy Maddin, for that matter.

MunchyMcGee

The first time I saw "Gummo," I thought it was bizarre and disturbing.   But lo and behold, Korine came out with "Julien Donkey-Boy" which is an extremely weird film.  Wrestlers wearing dresses, overbearing fathers, and a young Jewish boy telling Julien to "go in the toilet find a piece of shit and eat it" are all classic moments in this film.  As for other weirdo cinematic masterpieces, I'd have to go with Eraserhead, 8 1/2, Wave Twisters (like Fantasia on acid), and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen.
You can't take a dump on me.  It's alright if you want to pee.  Cause I like the smell and I like the taste, wouldn't want it to go to waste.

BonBon85

I saw part of Wave Twisters, but I had to stop because the repetitive beats were giving me a headache.

Or I'm exaggerating and just thought the movie was dumb.

Xixax

Harmony Korine is a real inspiration to me.

When I see his work, I tell myself, "Man, if this guy can make a movie, God knows I can."
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

polkablues

Quote from: polkablues
Quote from: MacGuffinYes, "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover" comes to mind.

And that's probably Greenaway's most straight-forward (except maybe "The Draughtman's Contract").  

"Drowing by Numbers", "A Zed and Two Noughts", "Belly of an Architect", are all very uniquely bizzare films.

And then let's not forget "The Falls", "The Pillow Book", "8 1/2 Women", and "Prospero's Books".
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pedro

Rudie Obias

Quote from: MacGuffin

"Ravenous" (based in part on The Donner Party).

dude, this is such a good movie!  i totally forgot about it until you mentioned it.  i'm gonna go out and try to find it so i can watch it tonight.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

phil marlowe

Lars Von Triers Epidemic is the weirdest.
Ever.