Jurassic World

Started by MacGuffin, July 16, 2003, 10:22:10 PM

MacGuffin

Jurassic Park 4 Next Year
Writers are starting over.

Back in February and again in March, producer Frank Marshall confirmed that a script for Jurassic Park IV was ready, and that delays were due to other projects he and producer/director Steven Spielberg had going. Marshall is currently gearing up for The Bourne Ultimatum, and he'll be overseeing Spielberg's efforts on the next and final Indiana Jones film afterwards.

Since then, however, the next film in everyone's favorite dino-centric film franchise seems to have suffered another setback. When asked by Empire Online during an interview about the status about the movie, he said that JP4 was returning to the drawing board.

Have they started writing the script yet?
No. They have an idea. That's why it's going to take a while, that'll be the end of next year probably.

Nevertheless, Marshall appeared optimistic that JP4 will begin production next year, around the same time as Indiana Jones 4. He added that Spielberg would be unavailable to direct because of his schedule making Indy. Even so, Spielberg "puts his name on everything - just in case!"

Marshall did not comment further on JP4, except to say that they had some fun characters planned. "I'm sure there will be some quirky characters in the movie. It's always attractive, people love to be in those movies."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Spielberg May Direct Jurassic Park IV Himself!
Source: Cinema Blend

We've been hearing about Jurassic Park IV for awhile, but with all the Indiana Jones talk it seemed like it was being put on the back burner by Spielberg. That may no longer be the case.

Sky News is reporting that Spielberg is eager to get it moving and may actually consent to direct the fourth installment himself. Steven directed the first two Jurassic Park movies, but Joe Johnston took over for the less successful third one. Apparently Johnston is still Spielberg's first choice to direct number four, but if Johnston can't or won't do it, then Spielberg will hop back into the dino-director's chair.

Jurassic Park is currently slated for a wide release some time in 2008, so if they're going to hit that target Spielberg will have to make up his mind soon. The fact that he's interested in doing it indicates that whatever script they're using, the may actually have something good this time. Is there more territory left to be explored in the Jurassic Park? Spielberg seems to think so.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

If Spielburg does it, I'll go.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

modage

i doubt this would ever happen.  and i hope it doesnt.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

I'll see this regardless of the director. Lost World had a terribly weak story and Speilberg didn't out direct it. The series just needs a good story.

killafilm

Anyone remember the script review on AICN awhile back? With the dino-police? Was that even real? IMDB for whatever it's worth still has John Sayles listed as one of the writers.

MacGuffin

UPDATE: Steven Spielberg not directing 'JPIV' Redux
Source: SpielbergFilms

Originally published 9/17/06: Internet rumors are a lot like the work of "Jurassic Park's" John Hammond, yet without the lysine deficiency built in since the damned things don't know when to die. Reporters like to clone one another's work without so much as checking sources, and these cloned rumors run amok across the web, sometimes appearing extinct only to rear their heads again another day. Such is the rumor that Steven Spielberg would be personally directing "Jurassic Park IV." It only took six months since we last debunked this rumor through Spielberg's offices (this past March we reported that Amblin stated in no uncertain terms that Spielberg would not be directing the film) for the rumor mongering to begin fresh, and yet, film website Cinema Blend, sourcing the very untrustworthy source Sky News has started the rumors anew.

The talk most likely followed on the heels of the recent reports that "Jurassic Park III" director Joe Johnston had been offered the director's chair on the third "Mummy" film by Universal. As Steven Spielberg told us this past July, Johnston has dibs on the fourth "Jurassic" adventure, yet with the potential that Johnston will move on to the "Mummy" franchise, the Internet rumor mill started churning away in chat boards and now websites proper.

Here's the catch: while Spielberg's offices didn't have any new news on the status of "Jurassic Park IV" this week, Johnston has yet to officially sign on to the third "Mummy" film. Furthermore, Johnston's participation in a "Mummy" film wouldn't necessarily cancel out his work on "Jurassic Park IV" if Universal and Amblin chose to schedule "Jurassic Park" around Johnston's work on Universal's other big franchise. To jump from presuming Johnston's out to Spielberg is directing (despite Spielberg's being chin deep in development on "Indiana Jones IV," the "Lincoln" biopic and "Interstellar") is a big presumption without any official or quasi-official word to back it up. At this writing, Sky News, Cinema Blend, nor any other sources carbon copying this rumor from one another have offered up anything even close to any source, let alone a credible source.

As Steven Spielberg's career has shown us in the past, anything can happen, but at this point, there is absolutely nothing to indicate that Johnston has passed on returning to the "Jurassic Park" series or that Spielberg will be retaking the reins.

UPDATE: Don't take my word for it? Take it from the source. Steven Spielberg's offices told SpielbergFilms.com today that, "You are indeed correct, Steven will not be directing Jurassic Park IV... Thanks for your debunking!"

It's the same thing they told us in March, and as stated above, the song remains the same no matter how loud the chorus of gossip grows online.

"Jurassic Park IV" is currently in development at Amblin Entertainment and Universal Pictures. Steven Spielberg will serve on the film as executive producer, and any way you slice it, once the film is released, it'll surely be an exciting time out at the movies!

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bethie

talking to the new girl at work about Jurassic Park

me: oh, look, someone forgot their book.
haley: no, it's mine. I have to read it for genectics class.
me: why don't you just watch the movie?
haley: I can't. The teacher told us we can't do that.
me: yeah, thats what they all say though.
haley: he said the book tells a lot more about genectics than the movie does
me: *picks up the book* Jurassic park, written by, Steven Spielberg.

the newbie still didn't get it.
who likes movies anyway

Ravi

Its no Billy and the Clonesaurus.

MacGuffin

Laura Dern Talks Jurassic Park 4
Source: Collider

Year of the Dog star Laura Dern told Collider.com that Jurassic Park 4 is moving forward and that her character, Ellie Sattler, will be back.

Dern said she received a phone call from Steven Spielberg. "I'm told it's happening and I'm told they're calling me. I'm told that Ellie Sattler is involved in it."

Asked if she would be interested in returning to the role, Dern said "it's hard to say no to [Spielberg] cause he's always got something totally genius up his sleeve so we'll see what they have in mind. But I don't know anything about it at this point."

Dern revealed that they are thinking about starting the fourth installment within the year for a possible 2008 release.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Jurassic Park IV' Story Details Revealed, Casting Begins!
Source: Bloody-Disgusting     

Bloody-Disgusting learned this weekend that Universal Pictures has officially begun casting for Jurassic Park IV, which will film in Kauai, Hawaii later this year! Laura Dern confirmed her return to the franchise as Dr. Ellie Sattler here as Sam Neill will NOT return. We're told that the film is about the government who has trained dinosaurs to carry weapons and use them for battle purposes. Based on the I can now safely declare that this franchise has entered 'ridiculous sequel mode'. Watch for more news soon.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

Quote from: MacGuffin on April 14, 2003, 03:38:34 AM
In an interview with FX man Stan Winston about Terminator 3, Stan made some comments about the new Jurassic Park. This is in the latest issue of BOXOFFICE magazine.

SW- All I can say at this stage is that it's extremely exciting. If you thought we sent the world into dino-mania back in 1993, hah! You ain't seen nothin' yet. If dinosaurs are big now, they're going to be huge come 2005.

So can't wait for 2005!!

Quote from: MacGuffin on August 13, 2007, 01:31:08 PM
We're told that the film is about the government who has trained dinosaurs to carry weapons and use them for battle purposes.

Yes I can  :doh:
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

MacGuffin

Jurassic Park Closed?
Producers say franchise may be over.
by Orlando Parfitt, IGN UK

It seems the Jurassic Park franchise might have come to an end.

ComingSoon.net reports that Park producers Frank Marshall and Kathleen Kennedy told journos that the long-gestating fourth installment in the dino-series will now NOT go ahead.

Kennedy says there are no developments on the long-rumored Jurassic Park IV. "You know, when [JP author] Crichton passed away, I sorta felt maybe that's it. Maybe that's a sign that we don't mess with it," she explains.

There has been a news blackout on the project for a while, with the last info we had on the hotly-anticipated sequel being JP 3 helmer Joe Johnston distancing himself from the film last year.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

A New 'Jurassic Park' Trilogy Is On Its Way With A 'Completely Different' Approach
Source: MTV

Is it possible that we'll actually take a return trip to "Jurassic Park" at some point in the future? Judging by the amount of Hollywood remakes, retreads and reboots, it's more or less a certainty that the dinosaur-filled franchise will rear its head again before too much longer.

"Jurassic Park III" director Joe Johnston spoke about the topic at length in an interview with Box Office, during which he also described his upcoming work on "The First Avenger: Captain America." According to the filmmaker, not only will we see future installments of "Jurassic Park," those films will also go in a brand new direction.

"There is going to be a 'Jurassic Park IV,'" said Johnston. "And it's going to be unlike anything you've seen. It breaks away from the first three — it's essentially the beginning of the second 'Jurassic Park' trilogy. It's going to be done in a completely different way."

Different you say? Different as in dinosaurs in space? Dinosaurs in prison? Dinosaurs... in love?!?! At this point, it's just too early to say exactly what direction the new series is going in, but Johnston insists that there are more films on the way.

"If they keep working — and if audiences keep going to them — there's no reason why there wouldn't be," he said. "We just want to make them justified in their own right. We don't want to make sequel after sequel just because there's a market for it. We want to tell different, interesting stories. You don't want to just sell hamburger."

No, you don't. You want to sell dinoburger. Dinoburgers that can communicate not just with each other but also with particularly savvy paleontologists.

Oh, Hollywood. Can nothing stay pure anymore?

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Steven Spielberg Brainstorming 'Jurassic Park 4' with Writer Mark Protosevich (Exclusive)
Will Universal reboot the lucrative but faded dinosaur franchise?
Source: THR

Steven Spielberg has dinosaurs back on the brain lately. In addition to the impending launch of the television series Terra Nova on Fox in the fall, Spielberg has been meeting with screenwriter Mark Protosevich to kick around ideas for how to re-boot the Jurassic Park franchise. Several years ago, the Oscar-winning director worked with Protosevich on a potential remake of Chan-wook Park's Oldboy that was to star Will Smith. That film ran into rights problems and didn't come to fruition, but Spielberg, who directed the first two Jurassic Park films and was an executive producer on the third, has since met twice with Protosevich to fashion a story for a potential fourth film in the franchise. Both Universal, which released the trilogy, and Spielberg's camp stress that no one has been engaged to write a script and that the discussions have been purely exploratory. But the idea is kind of a no-brainer. The franchise, born of the late Michael Crichton's 1990 novel, has been in stuck in amber since 2001, when Joe Johnston directed Jurassic Park III from a script by Peter Buchman, Jim Taylor and Alexander Payne. That last entry signaled the series' fading fortunes, as it grossed just $369 million worldwide --Jurassic Park and The Lost World: Jurassic Park grossed $915 million and $619 million, respectively. Spielberg's original 1993 film adaptation, which came on the heels of James Cameron's groundbreaking Terminator 2: Judgment Day, greatly advanced CGI technology (courtesy of ILM) in its depiction of colossal dinosaurs re-animated in the modern day. With the recent rebirth of 3D and soaring improvements in digital design marshaled by everyone from Cameron to Pixar, Jurassic Park is ripe for evolution into a 21st century phenomenon. And Universal could use the revived sci-fi tentpole.The Fast and the Furious franchise remains healthy, but The Mummy has lost momentum, the Bourne series lost star Matt Damon (a reboot with Jeremy Renner is in the works) and Van Helsing, The Wolfman and Land of the Lost never caught fire. Battleship remains a gamble for summer 2012 but could spark a new alien-related franchise. Stampeding dinosaurs endangering humans, fighting each other and smashing things never gets old, and Cameron showed how far an ambitious filmmaker can push an integrated, immersive 3D world with Avatar. A new Spielberg-produced Jurassic Park that takes full advantage of those tools could be (pre)historic. The CAA-repped Protosevich recently had a story credit on Marvel Studios' Thor, and he is working on an adaptation of the Ape Entertainment comic Freakshow that he would also direct. He co-wrote the screenplay for I Am Legend and wrote both The Cell and Poseidon. The CAA-repped Spielberg is finishing up The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn for Paramount and War Horse for DreamWorks/Disney, both scheduled for holiday releases. He next plans to direct Lincoln for DreamWorks/Touchstone.

Skeleton FilmWorks