Woo's Paycheck

Started by edison, October 16, 2003, 05:13:24 PM

edison

Never heard of this one but here are some pics of Ben and Uma

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: December 25th, 2003 (wide)

Cast: Ben Affleck (Jennings), Uma Thurman (Rachel), Aaron Eckhart (Rethrick), Colm Feore, Paul Giamatti, Michael C. Hall, Kathryn Morris (Rita Dunne), Joe Morton.

Director: John Woo (Face/Off, The Killer, Hard Boiled, Mission: Impossible 2, Windtalkers)

Screenwriter: Dean Georgaris (Lara Croft: Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life; next up is Mission: Impossible 3)

Based Upon: This film is based upon the 1953 short story, "Paycheck", by Philip K. Dick, whose fiction has also been adapted as several other science fiction movies, including Blade Runner, Minority Report and Total Recall, all three of which also involved the concept of someone's memory being tampered with in some way.

Premise: An electrical engineer, Jennings (Affleck), who has been working on a top secret project for two years wakes up one day to discover that his employer has erased the parts of his memory concerning his top secret work. Trying to collect his "paycheck", he discovers that instead of a cash payment, he had agreed to receive a package of seemingly meaningless objects instead. As he tries to put the "pieces" of his life back together, he also discovers that the government is apparently after him, aiming to put him in jail for something else he can't remember either... (Eckhart plays the company man who hired Jennings for the two-year job; Michael C. Hall plays the FBI agent leading the investigation of Jennings' memory)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Ugh. I saw the trailer before Kill Bill and the description of Affleck's job sounded like the dorkiest job, but of course, he exploits it with overt cool. And so sad because he the looks nor the charm to carry even this wrong and misguided role. Let's just hope he cries and continues the streak.

I think Affleck cried in almost every role he did? Its not all, but most of them. I think his consistancy in this department is worthy of a special banner here at XIXAX.com.

~rougerum

modage

i'm going to see it.

affleck (bad), uma (good), woo (mixed), phillip k. dick (good).

where did i read somebody talking trash about this because its ridiculous that ben affleck is playing this superintelligent guy, when it should be played by somebody like steve buscemi?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

I'll see just about anything based on a PKD short.

This was a cool concept (the story), but it could go any way really.  I assume it will suck, but I'll be there to watch it suck.

Anyone want a good premise for a movie, just go to the bookstore and, with one hand, flip through a book of PKD shorts and thrust your other hand forward.  Your finger will land on something pretty cool.

Ghostboy

This trailer is so boring. I really am not a John Woo fan. I do like Uma and Aaron Eckhart and Phillip K Dick, though, so maybe I'll see that.

I wonder if A Scanner Darkly is ever going to happen.

Banky

Quote from: themodernage02i'm going to see it.

affleck (bad)

FUCK THAT

Afleck was the bomb in Phantoms

dnthmn

oh come on with the star of Daredevil and the Director of Windtalkers, how could this be anything but the best movie ever made. EVER MADE!!

Well, I guess we can just hold out hope that Uma will save it.
oh and Aarron Eckhart, I like him. In the Company of Men was the shit.

SHAFTR

I'm not an Affleck hater like most are.  I think there are certain roles that he works in, if the script is right.  I will be the first to admit he is in a lot of bad movies/roles.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

dnthmn

I have liked him in some stuff, but right now enough is fucking enough

edison

MacGuffin

New Quicktime Trailer
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

dnthmn

well it is a pretty good trailer, so maybe......

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: GhostboyI really am not a John Woo fan.

What about The Killer? Its church scene rivaled The Graduate's, in my opinion.

Satcho9

You know what, I could say this movie looks like dog shit...and you know what. I think I will.

It looks like dog shit.