Ridley Scott

Started by MacGuffin, July 08, 2003, 11:14:03 AM

polkablues

Quote from: MacGuffin'Good Year': Wine, woman and Crowe
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Russell Crowe is going from the boxing ring to the vineyards of France.

The actor is in discussions to star in Ridley Scott's next directorial effort, "A Good Year," for Fox 2000.

Adapted from a Peter Mayle novel by Marc Klein ("Serendipity"), "Good Year" follows a London banker who moves to Provence after inheriting a vineyard. But when he arrives, he meets a California woman who claims that she owns the place.

Scott is producing through his Scott Free Prods.

The film has a tentative September start date in Paris.

"Sideways" meets "House of Sand and Fog".  With a big swig of "Year of the Comet".

I hate when a movie is designed to be nothing more than Oscar bait.  This is the exact reason "Cinderella Man" fell flat on its face.
My house, my rules, my coffee

pete

Quote from: polkablues
I hate when a movie is designed to be nothing more than Oscar bait.  This is the exact reason "Cinderella Man" fell flat on its face.

...and then gets up to win the whole thing!
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

Classic story of overcoming obstacles.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Ravi

"Sideways" meets "House of Sand and Fog".  With a big swig of "Year of the Comet".

And a splash of Under the Tuscan Sun.

Stefen

Why stop there?

With a dash of last tango in paris.

This movie has it all. I smell oscar and interesting costumes, and hetero steamy relationships, and red carpet extravaganzas, and juicy gossip filled post premier interviews. Smells like penis to me.

:yabbse-thumbup:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Ravi

$50 says Diane Lane is cast as the "California woman."

soixante

Quote from: hacksparrow
Quote from: Ravi

$50 says Diane Lane is cast as the "California woman."

Spot on.  Her name leapt to mind immediately.

And who will play Crowe's neighbor, a rich hip-hop producer who has purchased the adjoining property?  How about Sean Combs?
Music is your best entertainment value.

Ravi

Quote from: soixanteAnd who will play Crowe's neighbor, a rich hip-hop producer who has purchased the adjoining property?  How about Sean Combs?

Chris Williams a.k.a Krazee-Eyez Killa.

MacGuffin

Warners, Scott play spy game
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Warner Bros. Pictures has bought David Ignatius' novel "Penetration" for Scott Free Prods. and Donald DeLine, with Ridley Scott on board to direct. Joining DeLine as producers are Scott and Scott Free's Michael Costigan. Set in the house-of-mirrors world of international spying, the story centers on an American intelligence officer who goes beyond conventional intelligence gathering to capture a top Middle Eastern operative.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Ridley Scott to Direct American Gangster
Source: Variety February 14, 2006

Ridley Scott is in talks to direct Russell Crowe and Denzel Washington in the Brian Grazer-produced American Gangster, the drama that had its plug pulled in late 2004 by Universal Pictures. The hope is to shoot this summer, says Variety.

The studio will decide this week whether to finance or co-finance the revamped '70s crime drama, or possibly let it go. Two other studios are circling the project if Universal backs down.

The story revolves around a Harlem heroin kingpin who figured out a way to smuggle heroin in the coffins of American soldiers returning from the Vietnam War.

Crowe, who would play a cop, appears to have the most challenging schedule. He's booked to star with Nicole Kidman in Baz Luhrmann's untitled period epic.

Crowe and Scott just completed A Good Year and previously made Gladiator together. Grazer made A Beautiful Mind and Cinderella Story with Crowe. Crowe and Washington previously played adversaries in Virtuosity.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Ridley Scott Plots Middle East Thriller
Kingdom of Heaven filmmaker's next.

News comes from Variety that Warner Brothers has found a writer and director for their Middle East spy thriller, Penetration.

Helming the picture will be none other than Ridley Scott (Blade Runner, Gladiator), whose recent historical epic Kingdom of Heaven provided a fascinating and insightful view of the Crusades. William Monahan, who penned Scott's Kingdom of Heaven, has been hired to adapt Penetration from an espionage novel by David Ignatius. The story involves a CIA agent who must work with a Jordanian intelligence chief while pursuing a wanted terrorist. Along the way, moral and cultural clashes put the operation at risk.

The movie is likely to provide an interesting look at the CIA and the politics that drive espionage and conflict in the Middle East. Ignatius, in addition to being a fiction author, is a Washington Post columnist and critical observer of the CIA.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Split Infinitive

Scott reminds me of Michael Curtiz in many respects.  Aside from the immaculate composition and attention to set design and other technical effects, he's really at heart a blue collar director who puts together top-tier studio productions that aim a little higher than the average crap.  I admire that about him, but it's pretty frustrating.  If he had anything to say, he'd probably be one of the great directors.  As it stands, he's one of the most reliable directors working today in English-language cinema.  But for as much as he's done, I still feel like he has yet to reach his full potential.  He inserts enough of himself into his projects to truly call each "a Ridley Scott film," but I wonder if they're memorable because they're his, or if he just brings out the best in each project because he's a great technician.
Please don't correct me. It makes me sick.

MacGuffin

Gladiator: The Musical?

While a Gladiator sequel is all but dead in the water, London-based fans of the original film will soon get to re-live their favorite scenes through song and dance. That's right -- Ridley Scott's Gladiator is heading to a place no warrior has ever been before: musical theater. The musical, to run in London's West End, will be adapted for the stage by William Nicholson, who also wrote the film's screenplay. While Russell Crowe will not be reprising the role of Maximus, Hans Zimmer's original score will be used throughout.

Replacing Crowe will be Broadway star Brian Stokes Mitchell, who some of you may know from his appearance on the show Crossing Jordan.

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 15, 2006, 02:46:06 PM
Brian Stokes Mitchell, who some of you may know from his appearance on the show Crossing Jordan.

That seems unlikely.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Ridley Wears Gucci
Source: Now Playing Magazine   

Andrea Berloff has been hired by Paramount Pictures to write a screenplay based on the Gucci clan, with Ridley Scott attached as director. Berloff has previously penned Oliver Stone's World Trade Center.

Variety reports that Scott's Scott Free production company will produce the picture along with Giannina Facio, who brought the project to Scott Free. The story will span several years and locations, following the lives of the world-famous Gucci family, those fashionistas of the fashion world. Wait, is that redundant?

The trade paper says that while the exact details of the script have not been revealed yet, it is commonly known that there was plenty of drama and wailing going on behind the scenes of the family, not the least of which included murder (of Maurizio Gucci, as ordered by his widow).

Skeleton FilmWorks