Superman: Man of Steel

Started by MacGuffin, February 24, 2010, 03:32:41 PM

MacGuffin

David Goyer to Write the New Superman Movie!
Source: ComingSoon

Latino Review has broken the news that David Goyer will write the new Superman movie, to be titled The Man of Steel!

The site's scooper said that Goyer "had an idea that actually takes the movies back to the John Byrne incarnation. Modern. Believable. FUN!"

The site adds that Brandon Routh will not star in the film and Bryan Singer is not expected to direct.

About the story, the scooper adds: "I can tell you that Goyer's story involves Luthor and Brainiac. It is NOT an origin and assumes audiences already know about Lois, Clark, Jimmy and Perry. I know the Daily Planet is struggling due to the internet. And I know it sets up a huge Kryptonian mythology."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Derek

Well, it worked for Batman. Re-Boot with Nolan and Goyer is actually a good business plan, keep going until it stops.

I wonder how far the time ratio will end up diminishing with these re-boots? It was three years for Hulk, ten for the Spider-Man which included sequels...will it get to two or under? Will a potential franchise flail and the sequel come out in less than two years with a completely different take and a massive investment?
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

polkablues

They should just start simultaneously releasing two entirely different versions of every movie.  Whichever one takes, they can make sequels off of it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: MacGuffin on February 24, 2010, 03:32:41 PM
And I know it sets up a huge Kryptonian mythology."

That's my worry. Superman Returns forfeited entertainment for a more dramatic story. The Man of Steel could be doing the same for a mythology a lot of people aren't interested in. I watched Superman II the other week and it's still a really charming film, but the franchise seems to be afraid of trying to make Superman charming unless they're copying how Christopher Reeve did it. I seriously believe Eric Bana could play the role to his own toughness and humor and make Superman a great character again without doing a Reeve impersonation. If the story is good and the other characters are fine, most people would accept a new Superman persona.

It still would be PG humor and no derogatory jokes of any kind, but I think Bana can wield an equivalent charm to Reeve's.

pete

fucking hell, don't call it "mythology" when it's just a bunch of shit people make up to sell to little kids.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

matt35mm

What do you think the Greeks did, Pete?

Pubrick

interesting quip matt. but i think there's a clear difference between the development of mythology which was not exclusively the greek's invention (unlike the romans who just stole it from them) but rather an evolution of fundamental ideas inspired by human experience over generations, wars, heros, etc. and what should simply be called "backstory".

they've added a bit of backstory.
under the paving stones.

Pas

what are guys talking about, it's not like mythology is a sacred word and it's mention is an offense to Zeus or anything.

If the story goes into the legends/gods/etc of Krypton then it goes into kryptonian mythology.

It's as if they said : ''we will expand on the religion in Krypton'' and you guys be like : "How dare they call it a religion it's just stuff to sell to kids" or "it's not religion it's just backstory!" It's their fictional religion, their fictional mythology. No biggie.

Pubrick

i never said religion but you seem to be saying i am equating mythology with religion somehow.

obviously i'm not. i don't care that they say mythology, i just don't think it's technically accurate description of what they're doing, it's just another buzz word for execs to use to sound smart or to make their product seem important. a simpler word would suffice, like saying USE instead of UTILIZE.

my post was in reply to whatever Matt meant, which i tried to guess was trying to equate GREEK MYTHOLOGY -- which yes was kinda like a religion -- with backstory constructed to reboot a comic franchise. just felt like his weird "gotcha" comment (nopalin) needed some clarification cos it doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.
under the paving stones.

pete

matt, don't try to call me out again you smug overgrown child.  trying to one-up a comment that was tongue-in-cheek already.  Jesus.  Your trip around the world has only made you smugger.

but yeah, P already said what I was going to say while I was asleep - every backstory to a movie can't be a mythology.  franchise or mythology.  choose one.  it just seems like people are starting to believe the importance of these comic books now.
- Buster Keaton

Pas

I am not saying you are equating religion with mythology. I am also not saying these words are equivalent, I was making an example. Both can be used to describe serious stuff like ''greek mythology'', ''christian religion'' and fictional silly stuff like ''star wars mythology'' or ''XYZ fictional religion'' without any offense to anyone or anything.

I had felt that you and pete were insulted by the use of the word ''mythology'' as if it was an offensive because the subject (Superman) was too trivial for the word. I still think it is the case for Pete but I won't speak for him.

As for being technically accurate, well, it depends. We don't even know what they are doing. Maybe they are really expanding the kryptonian mythology, maybe they are just adding backstory. The use/utilize example doesn't really stand because it's not like a simpleton (spelling?) could day : "oh, Hercules, the guy in the greek backstory?'' that sentence wouldn't make any sense.

Anyway I'm just saying, I don't think it's a big deal at all that the word mythology is used for films or anything

pete

well, if you're just gonna define mythology as things that people believe that are made up, then sure, go ahead and call everything a mythology.  the execs chose the word to add importance to their shitty decisions and the whole around has rallied around it though, and that's different.
actually it's also different because nobody ever got paid to sit around and write mythologies and have it checked and given notes for 5 to 9 months so the mythology could be copyrighted and owned by a studio and its intellectual property to be defended by 20 lawyers.  in that case it's not like mythology at all.
- Buster Keaton

Pas

I'm sorry but you are confused about the sacredness of the word mythology.

Quote from: pete on February 25, 2010, 11:32:40 AM
nobody ever got paid to sit around and write mythologies and have it checked and given notes for 5 to 9 months so the mythology could be copyrighted and owned by a studio and its intellectual property to be defended by 20 lawyers.  in that case it's not like mythology at all.

The Kryptonian mythology in the real world (aka the planet earth world) is written in ''5 to 9 months''. In the kryptonian world, this thing was written in 10, 100, or 10 million years. Who cares. It's a fictional world!

Quote from: pete on February 25, 2010, 11:21:05 AM
every backstory to a movie can't be a mythology.  franchise or mythology.  choose one.

I don't even know what this means. Franchise or mythology? What is the kryptonian franchise?

Quote from: pete on February 25, 2010, 11:21:05 AM
it just seems like people are starting to believe the importance of these comic books now.

No, you are giving much more importance to the word mythology than it has!!!

Look, I am making up planet Dingdong. On planet Dingdong, there are many gods and ancient heroes. Picpic is the god of lightning and Taktak is the god of sea. There is the ancient hero Toctoc who made many adventures and defeated the might magic dragon Crocroc. I just made up a mythology for the planet Dingdong in one minute. It's nothing special.

matt35mm

Haha, I do agree with you, Pete and P.  My post was a total joke, not a one-up or an attempt to jam a second tongue in that cheek.  Thank god my comment doesn't stand up to scrutiny, because it was a completely ironic comment.  It just made me laugh to think of old Greek men in togas peddling Zeus comics to little kids.  That is the only idea behind that post.  The notion that I would ever try to make a serious point or call anyone out in this Man of Steel thread is hilarious to me, because this movie is clearly being made by people who will say any and all words if they thought it would sell tickets.  What impetus do they have to choose between only saying "franchise" or only saying "mythology?"  To them, it's a mega franchise mythological reboot zero-calorie sundae with sprinkles on top, if that'll get people interested.

I am aware of the difference between that and ancient mythology.

I'll call you out on one thing, though, Pete: I am not overgrown!

pete

Quote from: Pas Rap on February 25, 2010, 12:07:08 PM

Look, I am making up planet Dingdong. On planet Dingdong, there are many gods and ancient heroes. Picpic is the god of lightning and Taktak is the god of sea. There is the ancient hero Toctoc who made many adventures and defeated the might magic dragon Crocroc. I just made up a mythology for the planet Dingdong in one minute. It's nothing special.

those are adorable names.  even more adorable than your username.
- Buster Keaton