Spring Breakers

Started by wilder, January 09, 2013, 04:34:06 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: sarahcooper14 on March 23, 2013, 09:47:55 AMAlthough, I watched it with my mom so it was super awkward

Yikes. I might be able to top that, though. I saw Requiem For A Dream in the theater with my mom when it was released. She did not like it and sort of wondered why she was there. But it was worth it. (I didn't have a driver's license yet and couldn't find a ride.)

Reel

Quote from: sarahcooper14 on March 23, 2013, 09:47:55 AM
I watched it with my mom so it was super awkward, but I thought it was great.

on twitter this girl said her mom smashed their copy of Burn After Reading with a hammer because of the language and the sex. Wonder what she did after this, bash her own brains in?

sarahcooper14

Quote from: Reelist on March 23, 2013, 01:06:36 PM
Quote from: sarahcooper14 on March 23, 2013, 09:47:55 AM
I watched it with my mom so it was super awkward, but I thought it was great.

on twitter this girl said her mom smashed their copy of Burn After Reading with a hammer because of the language and the sex. Wonder what she did after this, bash her own brains in?

Haha, no she didn't do that. But I warned her ahead of time that it would be vulgar (by her standards). She really didn't like the whole 'James Franco performing fellatio on gun barrels' part. But I think she had her eyes closed for a lot of it.
"But in the end, it's a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer." -Samwise Gamgee, The Lord of the Rings

Reel

My five word review:

Scarface for Southern white girls.

polkablues

Quote from: Reelist on March 24, 2013, 04:59:36 PM
Scarface for Southern white girls.

"Say howdy to my little friend, y'all!"
My house, my rules, my coffee

Lottery

Quote from: Kellen on March 22, 2013, 03:40:26 PM
Quote from: wilderesque on March 22, 2013, 03:12:07 PM
Interview with Harmony Korine on Vimeo

So strange to me how old he looks nowadays, I still have the image of the kid that went on the Letterman show in my memory..

And Rachel Korine looks young. Like daughter-young. Actually niece-young would be more appropriate.

socketlevel

the one last hit that spent you...

RegularKarate

Wow... you guys are being way too forgiving to this piece of shit bore.
James Franco is great in it and all, but they give him about three good scenes and the rest of it is just a repetitive, boring mess.

It definitely kept reminding me what I don't like about most of Korine's films. He's clearly looking down on his characters... it all feels so artificial and insincere.
and I can't decide if he's making fun of Malick or trying to be him, but either way he's failing here.

I have insomnia, but I was trying my damnedest to fall asleep during this movie.... something with this many guns and boobs should be more entertaining. I kept thinking to myself "I read this thing was only an hour and a half, it's been at least two and a half by now".

Kellen

Quote from: JG on March 25, 2013, 04:57:45 PM
Quote from: socketlevel on March 25, 2013, 03:12:43 PM
Quote from: Kellen on March 25, 2013, 11:36:20 AM
Teens Think "Spring Breakers" Is the Worst Movie Ever Made

Awesome!

confirming your sarcasm? what is the point of this?

Were you asking me what the point of posting that link was?  I just find it funny that a bunch of kids probably thought this was gonna be some silly movie because of Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens involvement when instead they got a full on art/korine flick.  I'm guessing most of them had never watched any of Harmony's previous films and if they think this is the worst movie ever what on earth would they say about trash humpers/gummo/julien donkey boy?

Tictacbk

Quote from: Kellen on March 26, 2013, 05:02:20 PM
Were you asking me what the point of posting that link was?  I just find it funny that a bunch of kids probably thought this was gonna be some silly movie because of Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens involvement when instead they got a full on art/korine flick.

The best thing about this film is that it can attract an audience like that and then completely subvert their expectations.  Unfortunately it lacks any substance to go along with that subversion.

A lot of the tweets in that article complain about Spring Breakers getting boring at points and being too repetitive, which I think are pretty valid complaints. 

wilder

Here's an interview.

"...it's where like retardation and transcendence intersect."

JG

Quote from: Kellen on March 26, 2013, 05:02:20 PM
Quote from: JG on March 25, 2013, 04:57:45 PM
Quote from: socketlevel on March 25, 2013, 03:12:43 PM
Quote from: Kellen on March 25, 2013, 11:36:20 AM
Teens Think "Spring Breakers" Is the Worst Movie Ever Made

Awesome!

confirming your sarcasm? what is the point of this?

Were you asking me what the point of posting that link was?  I just find it funny that a bunch of kids probably thought this was gonna be some silly movie because of Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens involvement when instead they got a full on art/korine flick.  I'm guessing most of them had never watched any of Harmony's previous films and if they think this is the worst movie ever what on earth would they say about trash humpers/gummo/julien donkey boy?

Yea, I guess I just found the article really condescending and unproductive - I don't expect a random sampling of teenagers on twitter to connect with the film, and to have unpacked its cultural commentary, and i don't think anybody should.

picolas

(mah letterboxd review)

why does spring break exist? why do so many people NEED it? this is a real question that no one asks (except for harmony korine), even though it's STARING us all in the face. we tend to dismiss the phenomenon as kids being kids. but what's lacking in our personal worlds to the extent that we must seek out this chaos? i've figured out ways to regulate my own desire for chaos through art. and that's not meant to be an 'outlet' or a way to 'blow off steam'. it's meant to be a way of life. because we all need to indulge in a little madness to stay sane.

extremism is like sugar. simple, sweet, tempting, and so easy. it's an explosive state of mind that we fall into after some kind of extended repression or depravation. this movie presents really important questions about where our culture sits when we can only think in extremes. where's the disconnect in education, religion, family? why are so many of our institutions so boring to so many people? by having the guts to take spring break seriously, as a spiritual journey and a true, visceral NEED for thousands of young people, it punches you in the face with these brilliant questions.

franco's phenomenal too.