Water or Vodka?

Started by Pozer, January 29, 2008, 01:19:13 PM

Jeremy Blackman

I have this image of Plainview half-crushing the bottle while drinking it, like it's plastic, so maybe that's where that memory comes from. Could it be hard plastic, like a Nalgene material, or is it defnitely glass?

I really can't wait for the DVD so we can litter our discussion with screenshots.

jonas

It's a bottle of Vodka, you can even hear the cork pop when he takes it off. I've never heard of anyone using a cork for a bottle that wasn't alcohol.

Also, while I'm here, my favorite shot: When they first hit oil and they pull the metal rod out of the ground, Daniel touches it and raises his hand skyward. Good stuff!
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

Reinhold

Quote from: jonas on February 12, 2008, 03:27:19 PM
It's a bottle of Vodka, you can even hear the cork pop when he takes it off. I've never heard of anyone using a cork for a bottle that wasn't alcohol.

it's water-- corking a bottle in 1927 more common than it is today.

and although it doesn't really suit plainview, it was wildly popular among very rich people in the 20's and 30's to drink special spring water from around the world. a bottle of good water back then would run the equivalent of about 20 bucks or more today. historically much of that was distributed in recycled glass bottles. 

an argument for why it might be alcohol in a used bottle, though-- it was during prohibition.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

tpfkabi

i think most people assume it's alcoholic in nature as i think it's gotten chuckles both times i've seen it.

i stayed through the credits the second time and was surprised to see a thank you to the East Texas Oil Museum in Kilgore, Texas. i went to Kilgore College for my first two years. i'm wondering if PT and/or Daniel actually visited it.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

noyes

i'll take Paul's word for it
as he alluded to eating "steak and vodka" while editing the film in the December screening in Chelsea, NYC.
south america's my name.

modage

yeah paul said thats what he ate when they were editing but not anything about daniel drinking vodka in the film. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pozer

it is water!

look at the way he reacts to drinking from the flask and then chugging from the bottle. 

done.

Gold Trumpet

I thought it was obviously water. Before Eli looks at him, he drinks secretly from the flask. He feels he has to conceal his alcohol drinking because he must be aware how he looks to Eli. Then right before him and Eli begin talking, he starts to chug the water. He was doing it to get back his senses after being woken up from a stupor.

©brad

i can't believe we're still debating this but yeah i agree, it's water.

good. now we can move on.

RegularKarate

I'm pretty sure it's flat sprite, guys

FrunLg

jtm

it's fun to speculate on these kinds of things, but i don't think there can ever be a right or wrong answer. i've come to the conclusion that Paul likes to put these types of things in there to purposely get the viewer to wonder. i'm not exactly sure if there's a reason for this; maybe he just gets a kick out of it, but i'm sure it's intentional. same goes for the whole "Eli/Paul twins" scenario... Paul's a brilliant dude. there's no way these things just got by him.

hell, i've even done the same thing with short films of mine. purely as a homage to Paul. without making it too obvious.

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?

idk

When i raised this question to my friend he immediately said it was moonshine.  Since it was the prohibition era it seems like that would make more since than vodka although the water argument is still a pretty good one too. But then again Paul's comments about "steak and vodka" seem like a reference to that scene.

its probly the leftover holy water from his baptism. daniel probly saves everything.

cine

wait, i'm changing my answer to vinegar.