all things iPod (buying, using, breaking)

Started by cron, January 15, 2004, 11:48:12 AM

context, context, context.

Pwaybloe

...and fight the power, they shall.

Something must be wrong in the world when rich white kids just can't always get what they want.

modage

!  wow, thats terrible. i cant believe it.  i dont have one, but GODDAMN that is fuckedup.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Raikus

I just bought my wife one a couple of months ago. Hopefully Apple will change its policy by the time the other battery runs out.

Quote from: PawbloeSomething must be wrong in the world when rich white kids just can't always get what they want.
I realize you're being sarcastic, but that's one hell of flaw for a $300 and up piece of electronics.

Think if you bought a laptop computer with an unreaceable power source that depleted after 18 months and they told you to basically buy a new one. Not good.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Jeremy Blackman

Umm... no.

First of all, the iPod battery is replaceable... and if he couldn't install it right (or refused to have some one else install it since he thought it was too "complicated"), that's basically his fault.

And seriously, where's the broad evidence? He could have a defective model, or he could have calibrated or charged it incorrectly.

The sign should have said "my iPod battery lasted 18 months."

Besides, Apple responded to it... doesn't that show some responsibility?

ShanghaiOrange

That could have been five seconds long.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Raikus

As far as the battery only lasting 18 months, that's something I've heard from a lot of sources, Tech TV included, not just this video.

And, have you seen an iPod? I wouldn't even know where to start on openning it up and replacing the batter. It is good Apple offers the $99 battery replacement after warranty, but basically they're telling their customers to go screw themselves if you need work on it after a year excluding battery.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: RaikusAs far as the battery only lasting 18 months, that's something I've heard from a lot of sources, Tech TV included, not just this video.
It still sounds like a calibration error to me. Read what this review says about battery life... he's getting 8 hours after 2 years. I know the Titanium G4 batteries are really sensitive to calibration and charging, so the iPod's probably is as well.

If it's a design flaw, you should just make sure you're covered by a warranty... and, well, Apple should do more than the $99 thing to correct it.  And honestly, that is a semi-reasonable life for such a battery (think of camcorder batteries), and $50 or even $100 is not bad.

I guess it's possible that they're systematically screwing their customers a la Microsoft, but I just don't see the practicality of that, with the amount of money they're making already.

Apple has made mistakes before. Remember the Performa?

godardian

I had to bend over backwards and make numerous phone calls to replace the "remote" controller on my current iPod. I bought it in Feb. 2003, right before they remodeled all the iPods, so any replacement I could buy myself is not compatible. A very friendly customer service rep cheated a little for me and sent me a replacement for free; the only way to get one legitimately would be to have it replaced under warranty, which excludes me.

Basically, the (planned?) obsoletion of a foot and a half long piece of cord with a switch on the end that will wear out with my frequent usage will wind up forcing me to spend $300 to $500 much sooner than I will actually have to replace my iPod, because it doesn't work without that little $30 piece of cord.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Jeremy Blackman

It's probably because the iPod is Apple's most widely popular product ever, and they need time to adjust.

my sister has a Creative Zen  and it's fine, except for bad design (the battery cover comes off very easily) but it was incredibly more economic than an iPod.
context, context, context.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanApple has made mistakes before. Remember the Performa?
Well, that was during Steve Jobs' exile... so, doesn't really count.

Kal

I can tell you now for a fact that iPod battery wont last more than 2 years. This is why everyone should get a replacement program or the extended warranty. You also cannot replace it yourself because most likely you'll break it (you know that if you have one or look at it closely).

Still, same as computers, new stuff comes out every week and if you bought an iPod now you know for sure that in two years there will be something much better or you can replace and get the same iPod you have new in eBay for 25 bucks.

already now I paid 299 for the 10gb about 6 months ago and for the same money you get a 15gb now...

Xixax

Quote from: Jeremy Blackmanthe iPod battery is replaceable...

Man, I had the exact thing happen with my cell phone. I had the Print PCS people telling me I had to buy a new phone. I had Handspring telling me I had to buy a new phone. Even the cell phone refurbishing company said that replacement batteries "didn't exist".

My phone works great now.

I was a little pissed at first, but I knew that nobody was stupid enough to make a device without a battery that could be replaced.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Rudie Obias

should one also purchase the extended warranty?
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff