The Walking Dead

Started by modage, July 22, 2010, 09:26:52 AM

polkablues

Quote from: 03 on March 30, 2015, 02:24:15 PM
best shit:

. carol. everything about her, and the actress. she's just perfect.
she's multifaceted and brilliant and can also balance terrifying and warm and loving.
every scene she was in, she killed it. the way she talks to rick when she first walks in, the way she talks to the doctor guy. absolute brilliance.

Agreed. She's amazing. And you can tell the writers love writing for that character now.

"They're children. Children like stories."
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

I thought "sunshine" was a little over the top, and the writers may be enjoying Carol a little too much, but in the unsubtle context of TWD, it still works.

Overall, a very satisfying episode. The plot turns completely made sense but were also surprising enough.

In terms of predictions, I assume Rick and Deanna are going to co-lead for a while (with Deanna on board with the new paradigm), then Deanna is killed by the wolves and Rick fully takes over.

Aaron and Darryl should relay the info about the wolves right at that meeting. Next step is making the place more secure (remember all the measures they took at the prison?), which can only solidify Rick's leadership position.

During the meeting, Jessie's bratty challenge to Deanna was so weird... "Did you tape him? If not, you're just saying something a guy said" or something like that. A moment of unintentional humor? (They are much rarer than they used to be, so it's hard to tell.)

i agree about sunshine.
i forgot, sasha laying on the corpses was one of the most beautiful shots of the series.

diggler

Quote from: 03 on March 30, 2015, 03:59:23 PM
i agree about sunshine.
i forgot, sasha laying on the corpses was one of the most beautiful shots of the series.

It was a nice shot but everything about Sasha's PTSD arc feels pretty shoehorned. They missed a scene that sold her breakdown, it just sort of happened. Morgan the peripheral ninja felt a little strange but I think he'll be a great addition to the regular cast. I'm glad things in Alexandria finally went haywire because they were starting to outstay their welcome with that story. Anyone else think it was weird that it felt like our group had bigger numbers than the Alexandria residents? Everyone is making arguments for Rick but at no time did they seem outmatched. It seemed like there were less than ten people there. They didn't properly sell that Rick was in any danger of being evicted.

Over analyzing this show seems pointless after so much idiocy but it is rather fun. The best horror movies are the ones you laugh at a little bit.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

People are reporting that Robert pattinson will play negaan nextseason. I'm assuming this is an April fools joke. If it is they need to try harder.

Jeremy Blackman

Jeremy Blackman

It's official, FTWD > TWD.

The writing is the problem. The writing has always been the problem. They simply will not let us have any subtext. I challenge you, Walking Dead viewer, to think of any subtext in this episode that was left alone.

SPOILERS

Even Sasha's death wish was vocalized by Abraham, then nullified. It's as if one of the writers was reading through their scripts: "Oh you guys, I totally found subtext in Season 5! I know, right? Who wants to snuff it out? Actually yeah, give me the Macbook, I'll write the scene. Abraham totally just asks Sasha about it, then she smiles and says no. Boom, done."

Lowlight: Dumb guy gets his cheek bitten off, Rick tries to shut up dumb guy, Rick puts dumb guy out of his misery... Then Morgan and Michonne proceed to stand there like idiots and brood about the morality of the situation. "I know it's how it is. I do." / "Yeah... I do too." Excuse me... what? How could this possibly be more black and white?

"Directed by Greg Nicotero" has come to mean "may contain ineffectual pretension," and I'm afraid that may be the case here. The structure is kind of brilliant in theory, but I think it ends up diffusing tension, because the writing is not really there to support it. Feels like a pretty great delivery system with not much to deliver.

The horn is a purposeful malicious thing, right? It's gotta be one of these:

- Gabriel (rooting for this)
- The Wolves (most likely)
- Blonde lady's son (possible). Sullen teenagers will do anything for attention.

Jeremy Blackman

Carl, we really need to talk about your hair. You're beginning to look like a duplo.

Unintentional comedy has returned this season: Blondie's angry son (can't be bothered to remember his name) is one of the most ridiculous characters this show has produced. Is it the actor? It feels distinctly like a stage performance. He's emoting for someone well past the camera, that's for sure.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on March 03, 2015, 01:31:13 PMWhat if the fence-climbing girl is going to meet her group outside the wall?

This is why I've always disliked Enid. They've been dropping ominous hints about her since her introduction. She may be aligned with the Wolves after all. "They're just people." Umm, does she know they're savage murderers? What's with the catastrophically misplaced empathy? Maybe it's the bad boy appeal; she wants to fix them.

polkablues

I think we need to talk about the fact that there are teenage characters with names like Carl, Enid, and Ron, and it's not set in 1956. There's not a Jaxcyn or a Keighlee to be found.

polkablues

I remember that, in Splash, how the whole joke was based around how absurd "Madison" was for a girl's name. It was a simpler time then.

polkablues

I love how they talk about it in the video like it's the most absurd, out-there, no-chance-in-hell theory, but I am 100% certain it will turn out to be true. There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind. Just watch the scene! It's framed and edited in a very specific way that only makes sense if the theory is true. And it wouldn't even be an out-of-left-field copout; in a way, it's paying off an idea that was set up way back in the second episode of the entire series.

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILERS CONTINUED

Agreed. Guy on the left is dumb. (Guy on the right btw was just promoted from editor in chief of the AV Club to editorial director of the Onion company.)

- The guts are coming out from above him. Probably not an effects goof.

- If half of your intestines are currently outside your body, you would not still be screaming at them in horror. You would be dead or in shock.

- Whenever a major cast member dies, the actor is on Talking Dead for a goodbye. Didn't happen this time.

- Earlier in the episode, Michonne dropped us a hint: "Have you ever been covered in so much blood, you couldn't tell if it was from you, walkers, or your friends?"

polkablues

There are definitely worse ideas than sticking Lenny James and John Carroll Lynch in a room together and telling them to act.