this is scandalous, not that godawful song, the thread

Started by Pas, September 15, 2005, 05:57:31 PM

Bethie

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
john mayer

I like "No Such Thing". It's a good song. Who doesn't want to run through the halls of their high school and scream at the top of their lungs? rhetorical.

Blind Melon is underrated. You should all listen to them. Stop only listening to No Rain.

here's one

The Doors are overrated. They're a medicore rock n roll band. I think we all went through the phase were we thought Jim Morrison was the quintessential front man/god, wanted a pair of leather pants, and burned insense.
who likes movies anyway

cine

Thrindle

Quote from: BethieThe Doors are overrated. They're a medicore rock n roll band. I think we all went through the phase were we thought Jim Morrison was the quintessential front man/god, wanted a pair of leather pants, and burned insense.
I had a major argument with someone about this in my radio class.  He was going off about how amazing Jim Morrison was, and he said that if I didn't like the music, he was at least a great poet.

One line of Morrison's poetry stands out to me: "Her cunt gripped me".  I'd say that is pretentioius and exploitive.  Read me! because I can say cunt and shock you.

Anyways, as for the music... I went through a period in grade 9 where I loved it (or thought I should), truth is, The Doors are all style and no substance.  And the organ playing in all of the songs, is pretty bad.
Classic.

deathnotronic

Quote from: RegularKarateI think Linkin Park is a good band

which negates:

Quote from: RegularKarateBrian Wilson's Smile is a complete pile of shit and half the stuff he wrote is fuggin nonsense.

Arcade fire is NOT "like, the best band ever"

Bright Eyes can only write decent music HALF the time

I find Mogwai (the band) absolutely boring

RegularKarate

No, it doesn't... see, you don't know... that's the problem.

You assume that because it's pretty much a boy-metal band that all the cool kids hate that they're a bad band.

While I don't own any of thier albums (not even downloaded), I recognize that they are talented.  They play tighter live (caught them on television) than most bands who are considered more talented by people who dismiss them could ever play.

And I'm totally down with Bethie... she's right about Blind Melon and The Doors (never liked them for a second).

hedwig

polkablues

Quote from: RegularKarateThey play tighter live (caught them on television) than most bands who are considered more talented by people who dismiss them could ever play.

Talented does not necessarily equal good.  See: 311.

Although, Linkin Park-wise, the song "Breaking the Habit" is pretty fucking great.  They're soooooo damn over-produced, though.
My house, my rules, my coffee

RegularKarate

Quote from: polkablues
Although, Linkin Park-wise, the song "Breaking the Habit" is pretty fucking great.  They're soooooo damn over-produced, though.

This is all true.  And I never said they were a "Great" band...just good.  I just feel that people shit on them more than necessary... focus that hate on someone who deserves it more.

and some of the songs are "fun"... overproduced? certainly, but fun.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: BethieStop only listening to No Rain.
:oops:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Figure 8

I think both Linkin Park and The Doors are really horrible.  I don't really like electronic-metal-ish stuff, so Linkin Park just wouldn't fit me... at all.
Quote from: RegularKarateBrian Wilson's Smile is a complete pile of shit and half the stuff he wrote is fuggin nonsense.

Arcade fire is NOT "like, the best band ever"

Bright Eyes can only write decent music HALF the time

I find Mogwai (the band) absolutely boring
But I do like all those bands/people...

Pedro

The Backstreet Boy's "All I Have to Give"  is one of my favorite songs.  Oh my god the breakdown with the 3 part harmony of "everything i have is for you" is such a great moment.  I don't know if its brilliant or terrible but i love every second of it.

hedwig

Gamblour.

Quote from: polkablues
Quote from: RegularKarateThey play tighter live (caught them on television) than most bands who are considered more talented by people who dismiss them could ever play.

You haven't listened to much 311. If you have, well, we'll go from there.

And damn Pedro, that is a good confession. i know all the words to "I want it that way"
WWPTAD?

Pas

Quote from: Thrindle
Quote from: BethieThe Doors are overrated. They're a medicore rock n roll band. I think we all went through the phase were we thought Jim Morrison was the quintessential front man/god, wanted a pair of leather pants, and burned insense.
I had a major argument with someone about this in my radio class.  He was going off about how amazing Jim Morrison was, and he said that if I didn't like the music, he was at least a great poet.

One line of Morrison's poetry stands out to me: "Her cunt gripped me".  I'd say that is pretentioius and exploitive.  Read me! because I can say cunt and shock you.

Anyways, as for the music... I went through a period in grade 9 where I loved it (or thought I should), truth is, The Doors are all style and no substance.  And the organ playing in all of the songs, is pretty bad.

I tought it was pretty much a given fact that The Doors is a band liked by posers and people who don't have a clue.

I think that they were the Simple Plan of the '70s somewhat and now they are seen like a Andy Wharol-esque thing.

Much like Led Zeppelin was a '70s Creed.

Thrindle

Quote from: Pas RapMuch like Led Zeppelin was a '70s Creed.
Brilliantly put.
Classic.