Stephen Colbert

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, October 17, 2005, 10:42:49 PM

squints

he was on the cover of sports illustrated because of that.

plus his bit with alicia keyes was dope.

...GT why don't you just get some basic cable?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Gold Trumpet

I do have basic cable and it's funny, I also have that copy of Sports Illustrated plus I watch his show sometimes, but I never got into any of the details of this and I looked at every article in that SI issue besides the one about him. I'll have to look further, that's all.

Neil

When he asked snoop dogg if dr. dre prescribed him his medical marijuana, i nearly lost it.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Sleepless

Since this is pretty much our de facto late night thread:

The CBS Television Network today announced that Stephen Colbert, the host, writer and executive producer of the Emmy and Peabody Award-winning "The Colbert Report," will succeed David Letterman as the host of "The Late Show."

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/stephen-colbert-to-replace-david-letterman-1201155423/
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

jenkins

having a rattled "gimme a sec" moment here. the big q is discussed in the article

QuoteWhen Colbert sits behind the desk of the CBS program, as he is set to do at a currently undetermined date in 2015, he will likely do it in unvarnished fashion, not as the right-wing caricature he plays in his current perch on Comedy Central. CBS said creative elements, producers and even the location of the show will be announced at a later date.

And yet, it is that inventiveness CBS is likely banking on to help it gain in the ongoing late-night wars.

Indeed, Colbert will be the Eye's entry into a race that has already started. Both ABC and NBC have already turned their latenight programming over to younger hosts – Jimmmy Kimmel for the Alphabet and Jimmy Fallon at the Peacock. Colbert will have to hit the ground running, mastering a new format while trying to maintain the current fan base that has made his "Colbert Report" a mainstay for the Viacom-owned network.

[edit]
Quote from: Sleepless on April 10, 2014, 11:11:36 AM
The CBS Television Network today announced that Stephen Colbert, the host, writer and executive producer of the Emmy and Peabody Award-winning "The Colbert Report," will succeed David Letterman as the host of "The Late Show."

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/stephen-colbert-to-replace-david-letterman-1201155423/

Fuzzy Dunlop

It would be interesting if he were to take his Colbert Report character forward into the new show, doubling down on the ego while completely dropping all of his political beliefs. It would take the joke to a whole new level to have him throw all that out the window and adopt a completely new, warped ethos when he moves on to serve new corporate masters, like so many real-life pundits before him.

Because he's never shown us the 'real' Colbert, he's in a very unique place do a full-on caricature of late night hosts and break open the format the way Letterman was doing back in his glory days. One thing I'd put money on is an extended pseudo-war between these two:

jenkins

^that's a personal-feeling-guess thought wired into multiple histories and potentials, related to ideas about form, illusion, subversion, etc

all into this today. strikes me as more interesting than "conan is funnier than leno" or "meyers is somehow different from fallon"

Pubrick

Quote from: Sleepless on April 10, 2014, 11:11:36 AM
Since this is pretty much our de facto late night thread:

It isn't. (Re: Conan)

There are threads for every significant late night show.

I moved this news to the actual thread.

This is a terrible idea btw. Apart from the gimmick that his show thrives on, the format is completely different. He's a political commentator, Letterman doesn't really give a fuck (tho he clearly despised Bush) his commentary on world affairs has always been limited to special "serious" moments like post 9/11. Sure he interviews news anchors and sometimes politicians but his audience actually just wants stupid pet tricks.

It's a collision of worlds that will destroy the best parts of both.
under the paving stones.

polkablues

The thing about Colbert is, he's not a political commentator at his core, he's an improv comic.  The fact that he was so good at embodying the character of a political commentator doesn't mean he will then not be as good at this other thing.
My house, my rules, my coffee

diggler

I really hope he takes the opportunity to do something new with this tired format. Fallon does a lot of creative bits, but at it's core it's still the same damn show your grandparents watched.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Jeremy Blackman

If Colbert's Late Show is anything like this, America is in for a treat.

Live TLS Radio Coverage of Historic Flag Lowering

BTW I've been listening to this podcast, and I find it highly indicative that he hired two Onion writers.