Wierd Al Yanka..something?..

Started by NEON MERCURY, August 15, 2003, 03:24:43 PM

NEON MERCURY

..does any one rock out to him?..what do think about his musical talent?..do you have a knee-slapp'n faVorite song or album by him?..did you put any of his songs on a mix tape and give it to your girlfriend/boyfriend to let wierld al explain what you cannot describe yorself to him/her?.....have you seen him live?..do you find him funny like"animal house funy" or like "bob sagat hosting  America's funniest home videos"  funny......

come reply to this topic anddare to be stupid

neatahwanta

Find Your Magali

"The Saga Begins" is by no means Yankovic's funniest song, but it's fantastic.

Combine The Phantom Menace with Don McLean's American Pie...

jokerspath

If anyone has ever seen Stella (Michael Ian Black, David Wain, and Michael Showalter, all ex-State members) perform, you've probably been privy to their story about Weird Al's post-Grammy party.  Its possibly their best material that's not video-related...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

phil marlowe

weird al's not funny anymore, he has been doing the same shit for 20 years now. i enjoyed his polka songs though.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

UHF = great movie.

Bonus footage on Running With Scissors = Hilarious

Running With Scissors, Alapalooza, Bad Hair Day, Even Worse, and Greatest Hits Volume 2.  Those were his best, IMHO.

I still enjoy them, my only problem with them is I constantly mix up real song lyrics with weird Al's because he does such a good job covering them.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Jeremy Blackman

I think Running With Scissors is his best album, hands down.

MacGuffin

'Weird Al' Mobbed by Unwanted Fans

Things got hairy for parody singer "Weird Al" Yankovic as a flock of unwanted fans rushed on stage during his performance at a state fair in southern Illinois.

Green moths swarmed the Grammy-winning recording artist, some nesting in his trademark long, curly locks.

"My band asked me if I could find a concert where we would be attacked by insects," Yankovic told his audience Wednesday at the Du Quoin State Fair. "I said I would see what I could do."

Yankovic didn't seem bugged by the uninvited guests, though, as he plugged along with songs and costume changes during his self-described "rock and comedy multimedia extravaganza" to support his recent album, "Poodle Hat."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

look at all those puns.  man, I wish I was the reporter for that article.
but to stay on the topic, I think Weird Al is like the most radio-appropriate artist ever, his songs always sound so much better when they're on radio.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Jeremy Blackman

And if anyone's interested, the album goes like this:

• "Fancy" by Iggy Azalea
  • Style parody of Southern Culture on the Skids
  • "Royals" by Lorde
  • "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke
  • Style parody of Foo Fighters
  • Polka medley
  • Style parody of Crosby, Stills & Nash
  • "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons
  • Style parody of Pixies
  • "Happy" by Pharrell Williams
  • Style parody of Cat Stevens

Not thrilled about those song parody choices, since I pretty much hate 3 out of the 5. I don't know, maybe "Royals" is a decent song when the vocalist doesn't sound like they're having a stroke.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I was at this party, trusted with music.  I had not abused this trust right away.  A friend approaches me and asks "This is a longshot, but do you have any Weird Al?"  And my response was "Well, yes.  Yes I do."  She laughed and said "I didn't expect that, I don't mean to ask you to play anything by him, I was just kidding."  To which I put on "Living In The Fridge" under the premise that people would hear the background music, which is to be fair, much more well produced than any parody that doesn't already have some kind of in with the actual producers of the original material. and they would dance and sing thinking it was Aerosmith.

This did happen and it was great.  Someone thanks me for playing Aerosmith, a thing you will never otherwise hear at a party where I control the music unless it's under these specific circumstances involving Weird Al.

The jig was up once Weird Al screams when, in the lyrics, he does open the titular fridge and everyone was convinced someone in another room was screaming after opening a creaky door.

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Jeremy Blackman

Nice!

Good song choice. After the recent album, I decided my 2 favorite Weird Al songs are "It's All About The Pentiums" and "Livin' In the Fridge." I think it's because he sidesteps Weird Al goofiness and sort of goes for the jugular. Also, the original songs are great, musically, but are vastly improved by his lyrics.