HOLY SHIT! KILL BILL IN TWO PARTS! Volume Two

Started by modage, July 15, 2003, 11:24:11 PM

SHAFTR

If this wasn't Tarantino, I'd be bitching.  Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown were both long films but they didn't include anything that was unnecessary, and I think Quentin really is substance over money; so I don't think he is doing this for straight profit...we'll see though.

The dvd thing chaps my ass.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

well, its not JUST that there will be two seperate dvds for ONE FILM essentially that bothers me as much as the fact that they are telling us MONTHS BEFORE THE FILM IS EVEN RELEASED IN THEATRES that YES, they are going to be screwing us royally with multiple dvd releases!  how dare they.  the fucking balls.  its like, they arent getting enough money by now EVERY PERSON having to pay twice for this in theatres, they now, are going to be releasing multiple dvd versions.  thanks a lot miramax!  

also, i want graphic sword fights!  fuck that as well.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

It's the different versions thing that really bothers me. Can't he just make one movie? How is that not selling out? This is a sad day.

I might have liked the splitting thing if it was Tarantino's decision (they decided it based on a test screening? come ON)...

Ghostboy

It wasn't a test screening, it was a screening of the assembly edit, which means it was probably just the director/producers/editor there, watching the film at its most basic chronological stage. I'm pretty sure Tarantino had a lot to do with the decision...I'm sure he wants to keep the majority of his original vision intact, and if splitting the thing into two is the way to do it, well I know I'd probably go for that.

But yeah, that DVD thing is awful. I'll just wait for the extended edition, just like I do with the LOTR movies.

©brad

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanIt's the different versions thing that really bothers me. Can't he just make one movie? How is that not selling out? This is a sad day.

agreed. different version shit for different countries makes no sense to me. might as well make PG versions w/o sex or violence for little kids, and versions w/o the word 'god damn' in them for bible folk.

finlayr

ALL HAIL TARANTINO!!!

WORSHIP GASPAR NOE!!!!
Filmmaker

Pubrick

tarantino maybe, but gaspar NOEbody, eff that.
under the paving stones.

Redlum

This is kind of sad, especially on the dvd front. I'm still excited to see it though, as I've never seen a Tarantino film in the cinema.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

finlayr

To P:  Gaspar Noe makes better movies that anyone* in Hollywood, all working together, searching for some shred of truth, but they have no balls to break free of the studio system and make their OWN films. Personal ones.

*anyone excpet, Tarantino, PTA, Scorsese, Lynch, Coens...etc...
Filmmaker

MacGuffin

San Diego Comic Con: Tarantino touched upon the issue of splitting up "Kill Bill" into two volumes and the good news is for fans, he expects the release of Volume Two to be within three months (at max) of the first film. The reason for the split came from Harvey Weinstein it seems who didn't want to cut anything out and suggested the idea to Tarantino. Soon after he screened the first film and some of the second to Harvey who pretty much pushed the split movie idea and QT liked it so it became a lock.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

markums2k

Quote from: redlumThis is kind of sad, especially on the dvd front. I'm still excited to see it though, as I've never seen a Tarantino film in the cinema.

I saw a late late Jackie Brown with my girlfriend... now my wife.  Tarantino: the stuff memories are made of.

I still think this is the beginning of something bad, though.  First PTA succumbs to Superbit, and now this.   :cry:

Repent... the end is extremely fucking nigh.

ono

...I don't see anything wrong with PTA putting PDL on Superbit.  Care to explain?

ono

Yeah, I know, but it was markums who mentioned it.  Besides, since when have threads at Xixax been known for staying on topic?  ;)

modage

Quote from: redlumThis is kind of sad, especially on the dvd front. I'm still excited to see it though, as I've never seen a Tarantino film in the cinema.

yeah i saw jackie brown when it opened on christmas day in 97 (along with the hideous american werewolf in paris).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

markums2k

Quote from: Onomatopoeia...I don't see anything wrong with PTA putting PDL on Superbit.  Care to explain?

The movie and bonus material could have EASILY fit onto one DVD.  So does PTA just want the illusion of a 2 disc set, or is he going to be interested in delivering some actual meat on those bones next time?

Superbit is the new equivalent of listing 'wide-screen' or 'stereo audio' under the bonus features heading.

Sorry to drive the thread OT.  That's my explaination.  Nothing inherently bad with PTA 'choosing' Superbit, but if he thinks an overblown bitrate makes for a good transfer, he's mistaken.

Not that I'm attacking the transfer...  :-D

Anyways, back to your regularly scheduled program...