Martin Scorsese's top 10 favorite movies of the 90's

Started by filmcritic, June 14, 2003, 06:15:15 PM

filmcritic

Martin Scorsese is a great director as we all know but he's also a pretty good critic. He knows some good movies when he sees them. After Roger Ebert's partner, Gene Siskel, died in 1999, Ebert had to find a co-host for the show, Best Films of the 90's. So, he decided to ask his favorite director, Martin Scorsese. Both men planned out their top 10 lists of the decade and then talked about certain ones on the show. If you want like to hear Scorsese and Ebert talk about their favorite movies, click here...

http://tvplex.go.com/buenavista/ebertandroeper/specials/bestof90s.html

For those who just want to know Scorsese's picks, here they are...

1. Horse Theif

2. The Thin Red Line

3. A Borrowed Life

4. Eyes Wide Shut

5. Bad Lieutenant

6. Breaking The Waves

7. Bottle Rocket

8. Crash

9. Fargo

10. Malcolm X / Heat
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Keener

Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Cecil

hoorah for bad lt. and crash

booo thin red line

Ghostboy

All of those are amazing films, more or less (although I haven't seen Horse Thief or A Borrowed Life) and to see them grouped with as his list of recent favorites is rather exciting. Why don't you like Thin Red Line, Cecil?

Cecil

Quote from: GhostboyWhy don't you like Thin Red Line, Cecil?

i thought it was long and boring as hell. but i watched it again about a year ago because my uncle asked me to give it a second try, and that time it wasnt so bad. there were alot of good moments, but all the vo and cameos felt too out of place.

Ernie

Dammit, he likes Fargo. Now I'm going to have to give it a third try.

I'm Scorsese's bitch for those that don't know. Seriously, we can't EVER disagree, it's a pretty pathetic obsession that I have.

Ghostboy

I'm glad he picked Fargo. I don't think it's my favorite of their films, but I do think it's their best (although it clearly would have been topped by To The White Sea, if Fox had just given them that extra 20 million...damn it). It has the perfect mixture of their oddball sensibilities and true human empathy.

Gold Trumpet

Its a personal list and that makes it more likely for the list to be disagreeble, which it is considering I don't even like some of the films on that list.

~rougerum

Derek

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetIts a personal list and that makes it more likely for the list to be disagreeble, which it is considering I don't even like some of the films on that list.

~rougerum

such as?
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Gold Trumpet

Breaking the Waves and Fargo. I am watching Bad Luitenant now and so far nothing good. It can change though. Who knows.

Yes, I supposebly am the devil.

~rougerum

Derek

Never saw Breaking the Waves, I can see Fargo.........but Bottle Rocket? C'mon Marty.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Gold Trumpet

I enjoyed Bottle Rocket for the reason of sincerity and enjoyment in following its characters. All I will say on that.

~rougerum

Spike

"Bottle Rocket" on 7! Wow!
I've seen this films now for about five times and it doesn't become boring. Dignan is a fantastic character!
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

Derek

I enjoy the first half of the movie but once Luke Wilson hooks up with his chambermaid, it loses steam.

modage

i liked it but felt rushmore a was far far superior film.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.