PBS Blues

Started by SoNowThen, September 30, 2003, 12:27:06 PM

SoNowThen

So anyone see this?

The cd's came out last week. Lots of interesting stuff to listen to. This is gonna be tops on my must-have dvd list.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

Fuck, I fucking missed it
I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

DVD Release date: Oct. 07:

Quote from: tremoloslothFuck, I fucking missed it

It's still airing:
http://www.pbs.org/theblues/
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Why why why... I can't afford... I have to wait 'til Christmas. Why should such a deserving wonderful genius type person like myself be made to wait? Oh the humanity!!!!!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

freakerdude

$139 for the 7 DVD set.......that will have to be put on the back burner just due to price. Yes, we are having the blues!
MC Pee Pants

neatahwanta

Its pretty good so far...the first night was the weakest, but the other nights have kicked ass.  I prefer the Ken Burns "start at the begginning and go to the present day, making connections to the present as you go" approach, but this is a fresh alternative.

MacGuffin

SCORSESE UPSET WITH FCC CRITICISM   
Source: Contact Music

Movie mogul MARTIN SCORSESE has fired back at America's strict Federal Communication Commission officials after his acclaimed blues music documentary became the target of an obscenities attack. FCC bosses have criticised TV mini-series THE BLUES for profanity they felt was unnecessary, prompting an angry Scorsese to fire back as part of a collective backlash against the censors. In a letter, the GOODFELLAS director fumes, "The language of the film was an essential element of the story... The language of blues musicians often was filled with expletives that shocked and challenged America's white-dominated society of the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s." Scorsese's attack comes as TV executives at US network CBS accuse the FCC officials of levying unnecessary records fines for an episode of crime drama WITHOUT A TRACE, which featured scenes depicting a teen sex party.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks