Apple is the best thing ever

Started by Kal, October 12, 2005, 02:59:39 PM

cinemanarchist

I've got a 3GS and at first I was blown away by how fast things were after the update, but Safari has started to lag and overall I can feel the phone going in that direction as well. Still love having folders and the display seems much more bright and crisp since the update, and the camera is much faster now, too. Before the update, it would take something like 5 seconds for the shutter animation to finish and sometimes it wouldn't even take the picture. Glad to have that fixed.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

The Perineum Falcon

Apple, AT&T Hit With Class-Action Lawsuit

Apple's new iPhone 4 has a front-facing camera, multitasking, and what appears to be an big antenna problem.

Numerous iPhone 4 users have reported that holding the phone in a certain way--specifically, so that bare skin touches the phone's antenna--can interrupt the phone's signal and cause reception headaches.

Although Steve Jobs has told consumers, via email, that "there are no reception issues," Apple and AT&T have been hit with a class-action lawsuit over the iPhone 4's antenna.

According to Gizmodo, which has a copy of the official complaint, the lawsuit accuses the two companies of the following:

• General Negligence (APPLE and AT&T)
• Defect in Design, Manufacture, and Assembly (APPLE)
• Breach of Express Warranty (APPLE)
• Breach of Implied Warranty for Merchantability (APPLE and AT&T)
• Breach of Implied Warranty of Fitness for a Particular Purpose (APPLE and AT&T)
• Deceptive Trade Practices (APPLE and AT&T)
• Intentional Misrepresentation (APPLE and AT&T)
• Negligent Misrepresentation (APPLE and AT&T)
• Fraud by Concealment (APPLE and AT&T)

Handling any phone's antenna while it is in use can affect signal strength, but what differentiates the iPhone 4 is that its antenna is part of the structure of the phone, making it difficult to handle the phone without touching its antenna.

"It's got integrated antennas right in the structure of the phone--it's never been done before and it's really cool engineering," Steve Jobs said at the unveiling of the iPhone 4. "This is some brilliant engineering -- we use that stainless steel band as part of the antenna system." Using a rubber "bumper" case for the iPhone can reportedly resolve the antenna issues.

As ReadWriteWeb points out, a leaked copy of an internal Apple memo instructing employees on how to handle iPhone 4 reception complaints could be damning. "Within its instructions are tips about how to hold the device to avoid touching the antenna and the suggestion to use a case or bumper made of rubber or plastic," ReadWriteWeb writes.

Moreover, Apple has recently indicated that is hiring antenna engineers.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Ravi

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Sleepless

July 2, 2010

Letter from Apple Regarding iPhone 4

Dear iPhone 4 Users,

The iPhone 4 has been the most successful product launch in Apple's history. It has been judged by reviewers around the world to be the best smartphone ever, and users have told us that they love it. So we were surprised when we read reports of reception problems, and we immediately began investigating them. Here is what we have learned.

To start with, gripping almost any mobile phone in certain ways will reduce its reception by 1 or more bars. This is true of iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, as well as many Droid, Nokia and RIM phones. But some users have reported that iPhone 4 can drop 4 or 5 bars when tightly held in a way which covers the black strip in the lower left corner of the metal band. This is a far bigger drop than normal, and as a result some have accused the iPhone 4 of having a faulty antenna design.

At the same time, we continue to read articles and receive hundreds of emails from users saying that iPhone 4 reception is better than the iPhone 3GS. They are delighted. This matches our own experience and testing. What can explain all of this?

We have discovered the cause of this dramatic drop in bars, and it is both simple and surprising.

Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong. Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength. For example, we sometimes display 4 bars when we should be displaying as few as 2 bars. Users observing a drop of several bars when they grip their iPhone in a certain way are most likely in an area with very weak signal strength, but they don't know it because we are erroneously displaying 4 or 5 bars. Their big drop in bars is because their high bars were never real in the first place.

To fix this, we are adopting AT&T's recently recommended formula for calculating how many bars to display for a given signal strength. The real signal strength remains the same, but the iPhone's bars will report it far more accurately, providing users a much better indication of the reception they will get in a given area. We are also making bars 1, 2 and 3 a bit taller so they will be easier to see.

We will issue a free software update within a few weeks that incorporates the corrected formula. Since this mistake has been present since the original iPhone, this software update will also be available for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G.

We have gone back to our labs and retested everything, and the results are the same— the iPhone 4's wireless performance is the best we have ever shipped. For the vast majority of users who have not been troubled by this issue, this software update will only make your bars more accurate. For those who have had concerns, we apologize for any anxiety we may have caused.

As a reminder, if you are not fully satisfied, you can return your undamaged iPhone to any Apple Retail Store or the online Apple Store within 30 days of purchase for a full refund.

We hope you love the iPhone 4 as much as we do.

Thank you for your patience and support.

Apple
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Stefen

^lol!

"Oh, yeah, the bars were always dropping. You just didn't notice because we either didn't tell you or are just pulling something out of our ass at this time to save face."
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

©brad

They really jumped the shark with this one.

RegularKarate

Quote from: ©brad on July 05, 2010, 08:12:45 PM
They really jumped the shark with this one.

haha

I've heard a lot of people say (and it makes sense) that Apple is so used to everyone loving everything they do, they just don't know how to admit they fucked something up.  No setting for "apologize".

The Perineum Falcon

Hayao Miyazaki Compares iPad Use To Masturbation
via: Kotaku

Hayao Miyazaki is the greatest animator alive. And he does not like the iPad.

Noted for Studio Ghibli classics like My Neighbor Totoro, Miyazaki has stated that he rarely watches TV, does not own a computer or a fax and doesn't even own a DVD player. Instead of e-mail, he writes letters. He also makes wonderful films.

In an interview in the July issue of "Neppuu", the Studio Ghibli published pamphlet, the famed animator does not pull any punches when discussing the iPad, or what he calls the "game machine-type thing" that people are "stroking with strange gestures".

"For me, there is no feeling of admiration or no excitement whatsoever," Miyazaki said about the iPad. "It's disgusting. On trains, the number of those people doing that strange masturbation-like gesture is multiplying."

Miyazaki also noted that he also got "fed up" when everyone on the trains started reading manga and then later when everyone began using cell phones on the trains to presumably send text messages.

He might seem like an eccentric technophobe, but he is coming from an "All I need are pencil and paper" point-of-view. That might be all he needs. He's Hayao Miyazaki! And with those simple tools, he can create brilliance. Not everyone is talented as Miyazaki. Later in the article, however, he encourages people to become creators, and not simply consumers. With all today's information overload, it is easy for people to lose sight of what they need to focus on to advance society.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

polkablues

In related news, Hayao Miyazaki would like you to get off his lawn.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Ravi

For some people, masturbation and the iPad are everything in the world.

modage

Got an iPad last night, it's pretty awesome.

I'm taking my phone back to Apple today to get them to fix the "my face makes other calls while I'm on the phone" thing.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cronopio 2

has anyone used an ipad to read comic books? i think that's a pretty cool use for that thing.

modage

Yes, I agree.  I love the transitions between panels.  Additionally, normally when you read a comic book you have the entire two pages spoiled for you out of the corners of your eyes but reading it 1 panel at a time you actually experience it completely linearly without any clue as to what the next panel will bring.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

They should market the iPad as one big spoiler warning. Good feature.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.