Buffalo 66

Started by children with angels, March 05, 2003, 07:19:44 PM

Ghostboy

There are a few posts earlier in this thread about that. It was shot on reversal. I do remember Gallo saying they had to convince Kodak to manufacture enough of the film for them to shoot the movie on, so it must have been a rare/defunct grade, or somethin.

bonanzataz

i noticed that lance acord, the guy who does jonze's stuff, shot it.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Duck Sauce

Quote from: GhostboyThere are a few posts earlier in this thread about that. It was shot on reversal. I do remember Gallo saying they had to convince Kodak to manufacture enough of the film for them to shoot the movie on, so it must have been a rare/defunct grade, or somethin.

So what does it do to the image? What does it look like? I dont remember

bonanzataz

it gives it kind of a grainy, washed out, white look while the colors are still look semi-vibrant.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

SHAFTR

So after reading all the glowing reviews on this board, I rented the film from Netflix.

Ughhh, there are some moments that I enjoyed, some techniques I enjoyed but overall...they are just used to mask a mediocre story in which I felt no happiness when Billy, for once, doesn't do the wrong thing.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: lamasProbably my favorite film of all-time..

ohh over orsen wells kubrick boogie nights pulp etc etc

explains why you have no taste except the taste of sperm on your tonsils

Raikus

Quote from: SHAFTRSo after reading all the glowing reviews on this board, I rented the film from Netflix.

Ughhh, there are some moments that I enjoyed, some techniques I enjoyed but overall...they are just used to mask a mediocre story in which I felt no happiness when Billy, for once, doesn't do the wrong thing.
I'd second that as my opinion of the movie as well. This easily went on my "most overrated list." High up, too.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Just Withnail

Quote from: RaikusThis easily went on my "most overrated list." High up, too.

No no no no no no no. Well, I guess it's your opinion, but I just watched it for the first time, and rarely have I ever ended a movie with such a big grin on my face. I'm sure someone once said that movies on a serious subject, can't have a happy ending. "Happy endings are bad endings", right? No I have a tendency to think they are, and well, was I ever wrong. See, I like to think the bittersweet ending #5 of Return of the King makes it a better movie/ book, than if I'd had ended after (happy) ending #1 (and still do after viewing Buffalo 66, but that's just because I couldn't find a more appropriate example). But, this movie just opened my eyes, my heart, my...me

Why can't it end happy. I mean...Christ...I'm just in a state of bliss right now. Call it overrated as much as you fucking please, I just saw a movie I love, and it's called Buffalo 66. And I'm just babbling.

(By the way, I found the thread by doing a search on Buffalo 66, and every time the title came up, it appeared bold and red, making me think "Damn, everytime someone writes Buffalo 66, they should write it bold and red")

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Wonderful film, I loved every segment of it.  Sometimes it ran a little slow, but really picked up as it went on.   I was seriously pissed when he shot the guy in the head and shot himself.  I was saying how that could have been the worst ending to a movie ever.  And as God as my witness, Billy Brown's character was pissing me off as well as to how rude and pushy he was.

So I guess he achieved all he wanted, and I'd really love to see some more by Gallo.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Slick Shoes

This film grows better with each viewing, atleast for me. First time I saw it I thought it was alright. I missed a lot of the humor and I didn't really like the Billy Brown character. I just saw it again a few weeks ago and couldn't stop laughing. Rarely has my opinion on a film done such a u-turn as with this one.

(kelvin)

Didn't you think that Gallo desperately tried to be a new Cassavetes with this film? Think of Ben Gazzara, the Strip Club, Billy Brown's debts, and compare these, for instance, with The Murder of a Chinese Bookie. There are some references.
I don't really know what to think of the movie. I didn't like at all the drawing of Billy Brown's parents, which was far too much over the top. Gallo jumping around the axis annoyed me sometimes. The cheap black filter over the prison in the beginning of the film was not really necessary.
All in all I can't say Gallo made a bad film but I feel he really needs to acquire some maturity.

Quote from: kelvinDidn't you think that Gallo desperately tried to be a new Cassavetes with this film? Think of Ben Gazzara, the Strip Club, Billy Brown's debts, and compare these, for instance, with The Murder of a Chinese Bookie. There are some references.
I don't really know what to think of the movie. I didn't like at all the drawing of Billy Brown's parents, which was far too much over the top. Gallo jumping around the axis annoyed me sometimes. The cheap black filter over the prison in the beginning of the film was not really necessary.
All in all I can't say Gallo made a bad film but I feel he really needs to acquire some maturity.

He claims he has only seen a Cassavetes film and it was "the worst damn film he's ever seen."
context, context, context.

SoNowThen

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

see, that's why I love Gallo.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Redlum

I just rented it (after trying to take a look at Wes Anderson's 'best films of the nineties' list) and thought it was fantastic. So many great parts. I actually managed to get into the films groove and find the humour in it, instead of of missing it the first time like I usually do. The "spanning time" scene was so funny. Gallo's face after raving at Ricci about being a loving couple that don't touch each other! What an ending, too. Hot chocolate - the perfect choice.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

modage

Quote from: themodernage02 on June 9th, 2003
Quote from: EL__SCORCHOI saw this film when it just came out on video and I thought it was ok. Nothing amazing. I've never wanted to see it again , but people here keep bringing it up, so maybe I'll have to revisit this thing and see if i was right the first time.

ditto. exactly.  saw it when it came out, thought nothing of it, but all this goddamned hype on here makes me so curious to see it again.  although admittedly my tastes have changed a bit from that many years ago, usually my first impressions end up being right, (even after a re-viewing many years later).
so, because i plan to see the Brown Bunny this week i decided to take another look (6 or so years later) at Buffalo 66.  because, as stated above, i rented this when i was maybe 16 and my tastes/opinions have probably changed quite a bit since then.  well, not really on this one.  i still didnt think it was that amazing or really terrible.  it was just okay.  its like a really good student film, or a movie thats nowhere near as good as a movie thats actually good.  gallo's character is near unbearable for 3/4'ths of the film.  he's so neurotic, he makes woody allen look well-adjusted.  the opening of the film is a 10 minute joke about him having to pee?  it seems at times homophobic, mysogynistic, and very narcissistic.  also: does gallo have something about his own penis?  (in the opening minutes, 'its so big', brown bunny).  

also, he likes B.  Billy Brown in Buffalo, or Bud from Brown Bunny.  there were a handful of really funny moments here and there and 'cool' scenes like the musical ones.   but what the hell was the point?  i mean, it seemed like cool for the sake of being cool just like his outfits.  who dresses like that from prison?  and yet, theres just enough there so you can see where a great film might've been had it been handled a little better.  or maybe thats just my own problem accepting that gallo in real life might be completely different than his billy character.  

the unbelievability of the premise doesnt really bother me, and neither does not knowing anything about ricci, (although i would've liked to know SOMETHING) her coming out of the bathroom crying is enough to know that she has problems.  and since i hadnt seen it in so long i couldnt remember a damn thing about it, including when it was coming to an end whether or not it was really ending.  and then it didnt, and he returned to her and i couldnt help but have a totally big smile on my face.  

so funny...

There was nobody that I liked because girls stink. They stink. They're evil. And they're all bad. They're backstabbers, like you.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.