Cabin Fever

Started by MacGuffin, June 17, 2003, 11:01:19 AM

Cecil

cool. i have a feeling im really going to love this guy

Ghostboy

Man, I HAVE to get involved with Raw Nerve somehow. I've got two scripts I want to make that would be perfect for that label.

(so I say, as fifty million other indie filmmakers find the exact same thoughts rushing through their heads).

SoNowThen

does anybody know when this might come to canada (particularily Alberta)?

Yeah, sounds like this director's pretty cool...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Exclusive still from Cabin Fever, the horror film from newbie filmmaker Eli Roth. Roth, an NYU film school graduate, "fleshed out" his ideas for the film while working as a production assistant on Howard Stern's Private Parts.

Roth says, "The initial idea for Cabin Fever came while I was working on a horse farm in Iceland when I was 19 years old. I had been cleaning out a barn and got a skin infection on my face. I woke up in the middle of the night scratching my cheek, thinking I had a mosquito bite. I looked down at my hand and saw chunks of skin. The next morning I attempted to shave and literally, shaved half my face off. The strangest part was not only did it not hurt – it actually satisfied some strange itch underneath my skin. I went to see a dermatologist, who, judging by the horrified and puzzled look on her face, had never seen anything like it before. She gave me steroid cream and luckily, my face cleared up."

As you see in the picture below, Roth stayed true to that gruesome inspiration while directing his debut feature. The film stars Rider Strong, Jordan Ladd, Joey Kern, Cerina Vincent, James DeBello, Arie Verveen, and Giuseppe Andrews.  Roth co-wrote the flick with his friend Randy Pearlstein.

"I set out to make a film that would be a throwback to the late '70s/early '80s heyday of horror," Roth says.  "This would not be a comedy, but instead a scary movie, one that would use humor to both release tension and draw people into the film."

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

oh wow i cant fucking wait.      rider strong?  that kid from boy meets world?  wow, i forgot about him.......

Ghostboy

That still is awesome. I'm going to be so disappointed by this movie, because there's no way it can live up to my expectations...right?

ono

Rider Strong is a very underrated actor.  A shame he doesn't get more work.  I thought this film came out a long time ago, though.  Odd.

MacGuffin

New trailer... in crappy streaming.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ernie

Quote from: bonanzatazthat was exactly what i was thinking.

Me too! I've never seen it though.

This sounds cool. I haven't seen Rider Strong in anything since Boy Meets World either. I miss Will Friedle more though...the guy that played Eric, that guy was hilarious.

Anyways, this sounds fucking great. Thanks a lot for bringing it up, this is the first I've heard of it. I've never seen the Evil Dead but I have seen many sex and gore exploitation films of the 70's and 80's...and man, do I love them. Hope it's a lot like them. His other one sounds cool too...The Shining/Exorcist-like one...I'll keep that in mind.

modage

see Evil Dead right away.  and then Evil Dead 2. and then Army Of Darkness.  they are mandatory viewing.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ernie

Quote from: themodernage02see Evil Dead right away

Already put it right at the top of my Netflix queue...sounds cool.

Weak2ndAct

Managed to catch the flick a while ago and must say I was pleasantly surprised.  Following the initial scare/opening, the intro of the main characters is pretty darned amusing and kept the audience interested until we got to the goods.  The scope cinematography is beautiful and quite impressive considering the low budget.  What I enjoyed most was that Roth's love for horror films is all over the screen, so he plays with the tricks and scenarios we all love and gives us some nice turns.  Oh yeah, his cameo scene was a riot.

Now... the gripes.  Quite often between scenes that go from day to night, we get quickly cut flashes of the woods, gore, and other random imagery IN SOLID RED.  A little jarring and random (never paid off in the plot, in fact, some things we haven't yet seen pop up) and accompanied with some loud sound effects and score-- it feels like it was put there to make 'jump' moments for the crowd that weren't really there in the script.  I heard that Lion's Gate was mucking with the final cut and dunno if that was their doing or not.  The ending is dodgy for some (it's a mixed bag for me, won't spoil), but overall it delivers what we want in horror movies--
- lots and lots of blood and gore
- sex AND nudity (take that, 'Scream'!)
- major squirm moments
- some decent scares
- and some laughs inbetween scares

Alethia

Quote from: Weak2ndAct
- sex AND nudity (take that, 'Scream'!)

hey, watch it pal......

modage

trailer (from above) in quicktime...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Eli Roth Wakes Dead of Night
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Workshed Entertainment has optioned remake rights to Bob Clark's 1972 feature film Dead of Night for Eli Roth (Cabin Fever) to direct.

The film is about a young man killed in the Vietnam War. Through a series of circumstances, he is brought back to life as a zombie. When he returns home to his small town, his friends and family assume that he is shellshocked from the war and are unaware that he is a creature with a murderous lust for blood.

Skeleton FilmWorks