New York New York & After Hours on dvd...

Started by SoNowThen, August 01, 2003, 11:08:35 AM

MacGuffin

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI can't imagine MacGuffin (or any Wilder fan for that matter) would be too thrilled with this.

I wouldn't be happy with this, but all I have to do is read:

Quote from: themodernage02Source: AICN
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

haha yeah in the 'pretty wild rumor' bin.  but i still thought it would be interesting to some people. (read: sonowthen; scorsese's biggest fan).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

Quote from: themodernage02haha yeah in the 'pretty wild rumor' bin.  but i still thought it would be interesting to some people. (read: sonowthen; scorsese's biggest fan).

Hehehe, that's so funny, because in film school I had this very good friend, we basically met in documentary editing, we both hated the project, and we helped each other get through it (lots of 24hr days of work, with nothing but coffee and 88 cent pizza to eat makes you bond fast). He was the one who got preview passes to Magnolia and took me, then we spent the next three hours of the early morning walking around downtown in awe of what we just saw.

Anyway, this guy was the guy who taught me how to love movies. We'd go through Goodfellas frame by frame (it was his favorite flick). The only thing we'd argue about, was PTA (who I thought was the greatest ever) and Scorsese (who he put his money behind). This would get into near fist-fights, because neither of us wanted to back down -- it was pretty funny for other people to watch.

But in the end, while I still take Magnolia over anything, I've taken the long slow road to Scorsese worship (he was always number two in my books, before the last few years). Now that I've seen so many more movies, other directors have eclipsed PTA, but Marty seems to sit happily at the top. Damn, what a great man. I do hope I get to meet him someday.

Anyway, that's that for the past adventures of SoNowThen....

Thanks for the story, Mod. I hope it ain't true, though.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ElPandaRoyal

Seriously, guys, if this is true, I'd better try and find a way to go back in time or talk to Roberta Sparrow or anything, 'cause these news are the clear sign that we're living in some sort of parallel universe where everything that can go wrong, will go wrong (first Bush, then Intolerable Cruelty and then this?)
Si

SoNowThen

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaumSeriously, guys, if this is true, I'd better try and find a way to go back in time or talk to Roberta Sparrow or anything, 'cause these news are the clear sign that we're living in some sort of parallel universe where everything that can go wrong, will go wrong (first Bush, then Intolerable Cruelty and then this?)

Hmmm, I like both those things, so maybe I'll like this...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

according to The R2 Project, Warners is putting out Region 2 versions of the following - After Hours, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Who's That Knocking at My Door? in September.  so how long before the R1 will follow?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ElPandaRoyal

Is "Who's That Knocking At My Door?" any good? I never really read or hear a lot about it, so these DVD news made a young man very happy :-D
Si

SoNowThen

It's pretty good. It's got lots of parts that run on forever. Like he had a 70 minute movie that he stretched out to 90. The music is GREAT!!

modage

The Doors playing during the sex scene they were forced to add was the best part.  haha.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: SoNowThenThe music is GREAT!!

It IS Scorsese  :wink:
Si

MacGuffin

Zeta-Jones going to New York, New York?
Source: Moviehole

Catherine Zeta-Jones is up for giving her lungs another workout (Michael Douglas just panicked and ran into the bathroom).

According to Sky News, the "Chicago" fox is keen on doing another musical, and is said to have met with producers about possibly headlining a redo of a Liza Minnelli classic (no, not "Arthur 2: on the Rocks").

"I have been in talks about a remake of New York, New York and it's one of my all time favourite musicals. I love that forties period", she tells the site.

The original film, starring Minnelli and Robert De Niro, told of a smooth-talking musician, and a lounge singer, respectively, who meet on the last day of the war, and unhurriedly fall for each other.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

somebody should tell her musicals are dead (again). and so is her husband.....

......nnnow.
under the paving stones.

Ravi

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/new-york-new-york5.html

Title: New York, New York
Starring: Liza Minnelli
Released: 4th December 2007
SRP: $19.98

Further Details:
MGM Home Entertainment has announced a 30th Anniversary release of New York, New York which stars Liza Minnelli, and Robert De Niro.  This two-disc special edition will be available to own from the 4th December, and should retail at around $19.98. The film itself will be presented in widescreen, along with new Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround audio. Extras will include a commentary by Director Martin Scorcese and Film Critic Carrie Rickey, a Scorcese introduction to the film, alternate takes/deleted scenes, and a two-part New York, New York Stories feature. Completing the package will be Liza on New York, New York, commentary on Selected Scenes by Lazlo Kovacs, ASC, a photo gallery, and the theatrical trailer.

ElPandaRoyal

Meanwhile, they will learn how to write Scorsese. (this pisses me off big time!!!!)
Si

cine

thats the cover they should've had for this one all along. not some cheap photo like on the cover of the current MGM box set..