Magnolia Laughs...

Started by aclockworkjj, October 24, 2003, 09:55:53 PM

aclockworkjj

Ok, for being a hardcore drama...a movie of feeling, passion..love, hate, death, life...circumstances and occurences...I find a lot of scenes/situations just fuckin' hilarious...even though I maybe shouldn't be laughing.  

Examples:

...the whole interaction between Claudia and Jim.  Okay, she is all yayed up, he catches her at a bad time...asks her out...does she quick sober up?  I dig that...

...No need for elaboration: Marcie.

...the final countdown with Frank, "You requested my time and I gave it you, you called me a liar and made accusations.  And you say, "If I'd known I wouldn't have asked," then it's not an attack?  Well, I don't wanna be the sort of fella who doesn't keep his word.  I gave you my time, Bitch. So fuck you now."

...Phil...fuck, just about anything he does.  I can't help it....

Anyone else find the un-obvious humorsum within this 188 min. of sheer fuckin' bliss???  Maybe it's the irony I am smiling at, or just the great portrayal of what we call life...but for as many emotions this film presents for me...humor is not one often considered or looked about.

kotte

Jims reaction to the rap.

Fuck, I don't know, it's such a fucking great movie. I can't see how I'll ever make something as good as that...FUCK.

This doesn't belong here...so I'm sorry CW but the one thing that makes me cry in Magnolia is Lindas reaction in the pharmacy.

boombanglarrabee

When Donnie drives through the glass window of the 7-11 or whatever it is.  It's like, why the hell did he do that?  Fuckin hilarious.  His face is totally deadpan, he doesn't slam on the brakes or even react to the accident.  It's great.

Find Your Magali

Absolutely, there's lots of rich little moments to make you smile.

In addition to the great ones mentioned already....

-- Phil awkwardly ordering the girlie magazines.
-- The Quiz Kid telling Solomon Solomon that he "NEEDS braces"
-- The throwaway "TV movie with Alan Thicke and Corey Haim" conversation.
-- Everything about Luis Guzman
-- Frank Mackey's warning about not letting the dogs come near him.

The difference tends to be that while there are laugh-out-loud laughs and guffaws in Boogie Nights, the humor (while readily apparent) is much more sedate in Magnolia. They are "make you smile" moments, which fit much better within the context of a grim human drama.

Newtron

When our man Pat Healy says to Linda "You can't mix those up you know".

Overall, I laughed more in Magnolia than in PDL.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Find Your Magali-- Frank Mackey's warning about not letting the dogs come near him.
I will drop kick those fuckin' dogs....

oakmanc234

Thurston (old guy in the bar) always gives me a chuckle. "You're a friend of the family I presume?" always seems to be in his own little world. "Nothing special.....just a spoke in the wheel" Keeps spitting out this irrelevent shit, quoting for the sake of quoting. I love that.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Newtronour man Pat Healy
What do you mean?

Find Your Magali

Quote from: NewtronWhen our man Pat Healy says to Linda "You can't mix those up you know".

Overall, I laughed more in Magnolia than in PDL.

Another thing that's great about PTA, is people finding humor in different areas of his movies. ... From my perspective, I found the entire Linda angle bleak and humorless (which is fine), as I never knew when she would be having another cringe-worthy explosion. That's part of what makes her crying apology to Phil so cathartic and dramatic; she's had a really, really bad day of angry, loud confrontations. So I guess I'm saying I don't find my laughs with Linda, but I'm sure I find laughs in other parts of the movie that people wouldn't, and that's groovy!

I would agree that Magnolia has more laughs than PDL, I reckon, but it's also more than twice as long, so that's not a good comparison. ... I'd offer that while PDL has fewer total laughs than Magnolia, it certainly has a higher laughs-per-minute ratio than Magnolia. If that makes any sense.

Ernie

Quote from: ChristopherJims reaction to the rap.

Ha, that always gets me too.

Mackey's whole "well, if I would have known, I wouldn't have asked" thing that clockwork was talking about makes me laugh until he says the "fuck you bitch" part. That's some harsh stuff. That shuts me up.

Newtron

Quote from: Chest RockwellWhat do you mean?
Ask the Mariotti. Or the boombanglarrabee.

molly

For me, the funniest was that scene at the "Solomon Solomon". The name - Solomon Solomon - makes me laugh :P

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: mollyFor me, the funniest was that scene at the "Solomon Solomon". The name - Solomon Solomon - makes me laugh :P

The only thing funnier than "Solomon Solomon" is "Solomon Solomon Electronics"
Si

meatball

The whole bar scene with the Quiz Kid is sad yet hilarious to me.

When the bartender just smiles awkwardly when the Quiz Kid confesses his love/infatuation for him.

cine

When Stanley's father is walking down the hallway in the TV studios and getting people's names wrong. and his reaction is so obviously, "fuck.. i'm such an idiot!" and his son's a genius.

And these quotes ALWAYS get me:

"Yeah.. it's called jaywalking.."

"SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!!"

and

"Why would I load the gun?"