SCHOOL or WORK?

Started by manhattanize, March 06, 2003, 11:50:41 AM

manhattanize

i'm only a freshman in college, though i already feel this great deal of pressure to do something i don't want to...i feel as if i have to go down some road that will only lead me to an office job that i will hate for the rest of my life...
is it better to get a degree in film, or just go to an "art school" and try and get a job asap...
i'm filming my third film this summer, and am planning on sending it to festivals and such, but i just wanted to know what you "guys" felt a degree in film is worth,  or if it is just worthless when wanting to make something beautiful...not something they teach you to make...
-r
"we are the dreamers of the dreams"-wonka

Recce

Well, I don't know about a film degree. I'm studying in Communications and it encompasses what I want to do, mainly editing, and a whole lot more. I chose Comms instead of film cause I felt it had a wider variety of classes. What's more, a B.A. in comms opens a lot of doors for future career goals, or so the teachers keep telling me. So you have to see if you really want to work on films, or if you want to be in the overall industry. There are other choices for degrees other then film that still allow you to do film.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

ReelHotGames

A degree won't get you jobs, but the work it takes to get the degree and the experience you attain getting it will.

If you can, pursue the degree in a film school the hands on learning, the networking that can happen - it makes it worth while.

It's harder to hit the pavement and pound out a job if you don;t have practical experience to back it up.
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

manhattanize

thanks so much, i appreciate all the help...
i agree with both of you...i've had quite a bit of experience already [with nyfa, and other workshop like schools] but still am planning on continuing hands on education and experience during this summer with my next major project...
i'm so glad i found this web page, it's GREAT!  :-D
thanks again...
-r
"we are the dreamers of the dreams"-wonka