ADR Sound Matching

Started by SoNowThen, February 05, 2004, 09:21:58 AM

SoNowThen

So I'm doing ADR now, but my movie was shot outside in the summer, and now it's cold-ass winter, and we have to do all the voice work inside. Consequently, it's very hard to get the sounds to match, as the ADR voices have that "echo off the walls" sound. It seems fine when you hear it alone, but when you put it in the scene with the rest of the normal dialogue, you can tell the difference.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can manipulate this ADR to take some of the room acoustics out? Should I have people stand closer to the mic? What audio filters would help with this (I'm using Premier Pro, but also have Adobe Audition).

Thanks much
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Raikus

Buy a couple of egg crate bedding rolls. Put it on any flat walls you have around or try to insulate the actual recording area with them. They prevent echos and diminish outside noise. It's the cheapest solution I can think of manually.

It's always best to take care of as many audio problems as possible during the recording phase rather than post.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

TheVoiceOfNick

If you want the ultimate match, try recording the ADR in the same environment as your on-set sound... ie outside... it may be cold, but believe me, the match will work perfectly.  You should always try matching the acoustics of your original sound... I can always tell when they've recorded ADR in a studio... it never quite matches, especially in outdoor scenes.  It doesn't matter what program you use... this will work for you.  Also, there is no way to remove acoustics from a room... once it's there, it's there... you can add, you just can't subtract.

SoNowThen

Two things: I think it will damage my camera to be out in the cold (I have to get sound straight to the on-board of the xl1s), and also, actors you're not paying generally don't like to stand out in the cold for an hour of adr work...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.