Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans

Started by MacGuffin, May 13, 2008, 06:11:43 PM

MacGuffin

Nicolas Cage to star in 'Bad Lieutenant'
Werner Herzog to helm the remake of the 1992 cult classic
Source: Hollywood Reporter

CANNES -- Nicolas Cage will star in Werner Herzog's remake of the 1992 cult classic "Bad Lieutenant" for financier Nu Image / Millennium Films.

Pressman Film Corp. will produce the new version of its original Abel Ferrara NC-17 film about a drug- and sex-addicted corrupt cop. Cage takes the role originated by Harvey Keitel, with TV police show writer Billy Finkelstein scripting. Production begins in July, with exec producer Avi Lerner promising it will deliver as much filth as the original.

Ed Pressman and Stephen Belafonte will produce. Nu Image/Millennium's Danny Dimbort, Lerner, Trevor Short and Boaz Davidson will executive producer with Elliot Rosenblatt, Alessandro Camon and Randall Emmet.

Herzog, who follows up the film with Focus Features' "The Piano Tuner" later this year, is repped by Gersh. Cage, whose Saturn Films is also producing, is repped by CAA.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

john

Werner Herzog is making a remake of Bad Lieutenant?

If there was any way to make me exciting about Nicolas Cage in another fucking remake of a film that wasn't clamoring to be remade in the first place... this is it.

I gotta keep my expectations in check, otherwise I'm liable to believe this might actually be better than the original - which still stands as one of the ten best films of the 1990's.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

w/o horse

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 13, 2008, 06:11:43 PM
Nicolas Cage to star in 'Bad Lieutenant'
Werner Herzog to helm the remake of the 1992 cult classic

I totally feel right now like the Halloween fans felt with Zombie's remake - as in take what you want to use and do with it what you will, but there really isn't a reason to use the same title or act like there's any lineage between the two.  You know how Zombie said he wasn't even a real Halloween fan, I bet Herzog would say that about Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant, he's going to say that or he's going to say "I'm a great fan, so I'm not going to use the title."  Because of all the Herzog films I've seen, and the Ferrara films I've seen, there's no reason for this to happen this way.

Is my first thought.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Exclusive: The Bad Lieutenant is NOT a Remake!
Source: Edward Douglas; ComingSoon

Werner Herzog might be one of the most prolific film directors working today, having directed 56 films in a career that's spanned over 45 years. He's not resting on his laurels either now that he's past the normal age of retirement, since recently, his name was attached to two very different projects from his norm: A police thriller with the familiar name of The Bad Lieutenant and an adaptation of Daniel Mason's The Piano Tuner. When Herzog came to New York to promote his new Antarctica doc Encounters at the End of the World, ComingSoon.net asked him about his new projects.

One thing the German filmmaker wanted to stress and make clear is that his next movie The Bad Lieutenant starring Nicolas Cage is NOT a remake of the 1992 Abel Ferrara of the same name, a movie made famous for Harvey Keitel's full frontal nude scene. (Incidentally, The Piano Tuner has nothing to do with Keitel's other full frontal movie The Piano either, in case you were wondering.)

"No, it's not a remake," he told us quite adamantly. "You have to delete that from your memory, though we may not be able to delete it from public perception. It's like I keep saying, 'A James Bond film, the newest one, is not a remake of the previous one; it's a completely different story.' It only has a corrupt policeman as the central character and that's about it."

"You won't be able to make it clear, because it will perpetuate itself," he lamented when it was suggested that word might get out that this is a different movie. "Once a notion like this is out, you can never correct it. Of course, it's very fascinating to work with Nicolas Cage, he really wanted me to be the director on this film. It can't get any better."

He brushed off our suggestion that he's mainly famous for being a director who works outdoors or in the wild, which would make his next film more interesting, since it would set in the city. "I haven't made everything out in nature. Some of the films that are better-known, but I realized recently in Torino, Italy, they had a retrospective of my films, and it was 55 or 56, and I thought, 'Dammit, I made a lot.' Only a small but rather significant part is out in wild nature, like in the jungle or Antarctica or in Alaska, but it doesn't mean I have a total fixation of wild landscapes out there."

When suggested that he might be able use the techniques he learned in those famous films to explore the concrete jungle in a similar fashion, he also disagreed. "You can't do it in this project because there's a very clear story that is written and there's a certain urgency in the drives of narrating the story, so you have no real time to explore certain city spaces or cityscapes."

The Bad Lieutenant is a top priority for Herzog right now, since the project came together very fast with a limited time in which he can get the film done. "'The Bad Lieutenant' has to be done during a window of opportunity for Nicolas Cage which is coming very, very soon, so I have to scramble to get pre-production done. In this case, financing was unclear and I thought it probably was not going to happen, and then all of a sudden, two weeks ago, I'm called, 'Come immediately, we have to start immediately, because money is there, Nicolas Cage wants to have me as director.' It was a fine moment, because I had a good negotiating position with the production company. They have been good in doing it from out of nowhere from one day to the next. Of course, we'll have bumps in the road as always happens in movies. Don't expect that I'll be in the city and things will be easy. There will be some problems en route, and for all movies that have ever been made." (It's great to see that Herzog's sardonic wit and cynicism is still alive and well.)

Waiting patiently on deck is Herzog's own script for The Piano Tuner which he plans on tackling after finishing the police thriller.

At one point, there was talk about a narrative drama based on the life of Timothy Treadwell, the bear-loving explorer most famously captured in Herzog's 2005 documentary Grizzly Man, but Herzog was skeptical of that movie ever being made. "I don't think that's ever going to happen," he said when asked about his involvement. "I believe that Leonardo DiCaprio bought the rights and at that time, he thought that Treadwell was a true Prince Valiant who boldly defended the bears, but when DiCaprio saw my film, that was the end of his dream of doing the Prince Valiant version. You can't outdo Timothy Treadwell as an actor."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Kilmer, Xzibit join 'Bad Lieutenant'
Duo added to cast of Herzog-directed remake
Source: Variety

Val Kilmer and Xzibit have joined Nicolas Cage and Eva Mendes in "Bad Lieutenant," the Werner Herzog-directed remake of the 1992 Abel Ferrara cult hit.

Nu Image/Millennium Films is financing.

Cage plays a cop on the edge, and Kilmer will play his partner. Xzibit is playing a nemesis named Big Fade, in a re-imagining of the film.

Edward R. Pressman is producing with Alan and Gabe Polsky, Stephen Belafonte, Emmett/Furla's Randall Emmett and Cage's Saturn Films.

William Finkelstein wrote the script. Avi Lerner, Danny Dimbort, Trevor Short, Boaz Davidson, Elliot Rosenblatt and Alessandro Camon are exec producers.

Kilmer recently completed "Streets of Blood" while Xzibit (Alvin Joiner) will next be seen in the Fox release "X Files: I Want to Believe."

Skeleton FilmWorks

hedwig

why does Xzibit keep getting cast in films i wanna see?  :yabbse-undecided:

Alexandro

is Herzog doing this film just to keep working? it keeps sounding more and more like a terrible idea.

matt35mm

Why y'all buggin'?  Shit ain't even start shootin' yet.

Encounters at the End of the World was fantastic, so maybe Herzog hasn't lost his marbles quite yet.  If you can't give the benefit of the doubt to Herzog, who can you give it to?

Alexandro

Quote from: matt35mm on July 06, 2008, 03:00:45 PM
Why y'all buggin'?  Shit ain't even start shootin' yet.

Encounters at the End of the World was fantastic, so maybe Herzog hasn't lost his marbles quite yet.  If you can't give the benefit of the doubt to Herzog, who can you give it to?

i will see the film so i'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. and what's the point of a thread like this if we can't come in here and say this sunds like a bad idea...or a good one?

MacGuffin

Herzog's 'Bad Lieutenant' Will Reboot Character, Dial Down 'Judeo-Christian Programming'
Source: MTV

Call "Bad Lieutenant: Port of New Orleans" what you will — a head-scratcher, a leap of faith, a, gulp, bad idea – just don't call it a remake, star Nicolas Cage said, quite literally echoing statements director Werner Herzog told Defamer this past June.

"It's a new version of 'Bad Lieutenant' in a whole new place. [Herzog] connects it to Bond - like there was more than one Bond," Cage told MTV News. "[I play] a whole new character. He's nothing like Harvey [Keitel's] character."

Herzog has gone on record as saying that one of the things which most attracted him to the project was a chance to dabble a little in film noir. But while the style might be somewhat new for the legendary director, the underlying themes and questions will be anything but, Cage insisted.

"[The original] movie was a result of Judeo-Christian programming," Cage said of where the two will most diverge. "This one is much more existential." Thanks Nic, there goes my hope for more brutal nun rape.

But what of other sexual horrors? In the original, Keitel famously flashed little Harvey. Will Cage follow suit? Just how much time will he spend naked in the film?

"That remains to be seen," Cage said, laughing heartily, refusing to divulge whether or not he would appear nude on-screen.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Eva Mendes Plays Prostitute In 'Experimental' New 'Bad Lieutenant'
Source: MTV

Rebuking all the early talk about "Bad Lieutenant: Port of New Orleans," being a remake, star Nicolas Cage recently compared his character to James Bond.

All fine and good – but even James Bond never had a woman like this: "I play a character who is Nicholas Cage's love interest, and she is a working girl, she is a prostitute who is very damaged," Eva Mendes said of her hitherto secret character in the film. "I'm a prostitute so I'm a criminal in that sense, but it's kinda hard to explain. There's actually a very sweet love story between Nic's character and mine, in a very warped and dark, dark world."

Dark, but not despairing, pointed out Mendes, who said that the grim and brutal tone of the original film, it's violence and sexuality especially, will not carry over to Herzog's version.

"[The original was] very provocative and harsh for the sake of being provocative and harsh and in your face, and although I do have a provocative streak about me, it's never for shock value. I don't want to be shocked in any way," Mendes said, visibly shaking while talking. "Certainly there is nothing that I was in this film that was like that."

Mendes was much more coy when it came to spilling details on the plot of the film, except to say that it was a murder mystery in a post-Katrina world.

"I have no idea what we made in a way because it was so experimental," she said. "I don't know [what it's gonna wind up being]."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Filmmaker Magazine: What are your feelings about Werner Herzog doing his version of Bad Lieutenant?

Ferrara: He can die in hell. I hate these people – they suck. A, he don't know me, couldn't pick me out of a line-up. B, I'm chasing windmills. Well, I'd rather chase windmills than steal other people's ideas. It's lame. I can't believe Nic Cage is trying to play that part. I mean, if the kid needed the money... It's like Harvey Keitel said, "If the guy needed the money, if he came to us and said, 'My career's on the rocks,' I'd cut him a break." But to take $2 million – I mean, our film didn't cost half of $2 million. That film was made on blood and guts, man. So I really wish it didn't upset me as much as it does.

Skeleton FilmWorks