Flaming Lips

Started by Plagiarhythm, March 05, 2003, 08:25:20 PM

modage

Flaming Lips Fly "Freak" Intimate band documentary due in March
Source: ROLLING STONE

The Flaming Lips are the subject of the new documentary My Life With the Fearless Freaks, due out on DVD from Shout Films on March 23rd.

Taking its name from a Sunday youth football team on which Lips frontman Wayne Coyne played with his brothers, The Fearless Freaks explores the evolution of the Oklahoma band. In particular it focuses on the families and life experiences that shaped members Coyne, drummer Steven Drodz and bassist Michael Ivins.

"I started in Wayne's neighborhood and really tried to tell the story of how he grew up because he has so many older brothers that were a huge influence on his life," says director Bradley Beesley, whose previous credits include Lips' videos, as well as documentaries about Oklahoma catfishing and blues label Fat Possum Records. "They shaped the music that he listened to and his early career drawing, and playing guitar, and going to concerts, and doing drugs."

Beesley is a longtime associate of the Lips, and they were comfortable enough to let him film very personal moments. "I've got some pretty intimate footage of Steven using drugs and talking about how drugs destroyed his life, as they're destroying his life," Beesley says. "It's not like a VH1 thing where the guy talks about shooting up like ten years ago. I was capturing it literally as he was shooting up."

In addition to such gritty scenes, Freaks includes cameos from Beck, Jack White, Mercury Rev's Jonathan Donahue, Juliette Lewis and Liz Phair, as well as outtakes from the long-awaited Lips movie Christmas on Mars (due out December 2005). The film also features four new Flaming Lips songs made specifically for the film.

"It's a cool film," says Coyne. "When you get to appear inside someone's life I don't think it would even matter who they are. I think if you followed anybody around for eleven years and talked to their relatives and were there when poignant things in their life happened, it wouldn't matter who you are, it'd be interesting."

Beesley and Coyne hope to have Freaks make its cinematic premiere at the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah, in January, or at the South by Southwest Music-Film Festival in Austin Texas, in March.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

Effin Brad!  Way to go, G!

Always pleased to hear a fellow Normanite come Austinite making good shit.  

For those that don't know, he also made Okie Noodling... a fun little doc.

It makes me feel good because he's from where I was and is where I am.  Maybe it's a good locational formula.

Myxo

Loved the bubble bit they did on Conan Obrien tonight. Good stuff. The shit these guys come up with is great. I went to a show where they opened for the Red Hot Chili Peppers and they asked members of the early arriving audience if they wanted to dress up in costumes and dance on stage for their entire set with the rest of the band!

:-D

imawombat

man, i'm bummed i missed their conan appearance.  i saw them at all tomorrow's parties a few weeks ago and they put on quite possibly the coolest stage show i have ever experienced.  not only did they do the costume thing (mentioned above) but wayne got into this giant inflatable bubble thing and rolled over the audience and they also had tons of huge balloons that were being bounced around over the crowd all night.  

good fun, i tell you! :-D
these things do happen

meatwad

did anybody watch Austin City Limits last night? it may have been a repeat, i don't know, but they did a cover of "War Pigs" with Cat Power. It was awesome, and something i did not expect from the Lips.

russiasusha

Guess that means i'm back on zigzag!
Movies before 1930 suck

Two Lane Blacktop

Quote from: russiasushaAwesome trailer for new documentary

http://fearlessfreaks.com/media_trailer.htm

That looks GREAT!  It's coming out this month?  I hadn't heard anything about it...  I will definitely be seeing this.

2LB
Body by Guinness

life_boy

Has anyone attempted the Zaireeka expirement, or known anyone who has?  I've been reading a little bit about it lately and I'm intruigued.  

For those unfamiliar, Zaireeka is an album with four discs of music that one is supposed to play on four seperate playing units simultaneously to make the experience.  Strange.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: life_boyHas anyone attempted the expirement, or known anyone who has?

I have at Roskilde Festival the year Flaming Lips were playing there, it's a couple of years ago. They had set up 4 cars were the stereos were playing Zaireeka. The whole experience is kind of blurred because I was drunk but I remember it as being very homogenic and well thought out.

russiasusha

My roommate, who I have been living with for the past two years, has it, but I have never gotten around to doing it mainly because you really need four people to sink up the four different stereos.

I have listened to a pirated version of the four cds mixed together.  It's really different and good.  It's mellow and a bit melancholy.

If you are ever in denver, life_boy, we can listen to it (the four track version i mean)
Guess that means i'm back on zigzag!
Movies before 1930 suck

Two Lane Blacktop

Quote from: life_boyHas anyone attempted the Zaireeka expirement, or known anyone who has?  I've been reading a little bit about it lately and I'm intruigued..

I wouldn't call it an "experiment," since it's the way they made the album to be played.  :)  I've done it a couple of times.  My house has a sunken den (used to be a garage way back when) at one end of the house.  That's where my stereo and my computer are.  We put one disc in each of those,then a disc into a boombox sitting at the top of the stairs, and then put the 4th disc in the stereo up in the living room, which is about twenty feet away from the doorway to my den.

It was extremely cool, especially when something would echo from down in the den to upstairs in the living room, or vice versa.  Or when something would start on the loud stereo speakers, and end up in the little crappy boombox.  

I've heard of people who work in cubicle farms taking it to work and playing it on four different computers there, though I imagine the sound quality would suck.  

We found it's best to stop and re-sync at the beginning of each track, BTW, or soon the songs aren't even playing at the same time.  

About a year ago I read where Steve Drozd was suggesting the best combinations for 2 and 3-disc variations on this...  Google around and you can probably find it.  

2LB
Body by Guinness

life_boy

Pubrick

Quote from: life_boyHas anyone attempted the Zaireeka expirement, or known anyone who has?  I've been reading a little bit about it lately and I'm intruigued.
u should ask the ppl in Now Playing with those multi-players.
under the paving stones.

NEON MERCURY

i feel like such a loser but i just bought the soft bulletine the other day...and it blew me away...its like the first time i listened to the wall and ok computer..i bought y.b.t.p.r. upon release and thought 'do you realize' was one of the best things i heard in life.....then i got soft bulletine yesterday......man, feel like a poser..

modage

nah, its okay.  i had dismissed them after the jelly song and the one in batman forever, then didnt give them another chance until yoshimi came out.  then i went backwards and got soft bulletin.  they're both great.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.