greatest PTA scene

Started by Alethia, April 08, 2003, 10:32:02 PM

brockly

Definatly the scene in boogie nights where they sell the fake coke. The whole scene is unbeleivable. The chinese guy doing the fireworks, the tracks in the background, the close-up of Dirk's face, Todd going nuts: "We want what's in the master bedroom, under the bed, in a floor safe . . . You understand?"

Perhaps one of the best scenes in cinema history!

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: miss jonesyou liked that jibberish ramble of a monologue?

You didn't like that monologue?!?
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: Brock LandersDefinatly the scene in boogie nights where they sell the fake coke. The whole scene is unbeleivable. The chinese guy doing the fireworks, the tracks in the background, the close-up of Dirk's face, Todd going nuts: "We want what's in the master bedroom, under the bed, in a floor safe . . . You understand?"

Perhaps one of the best scenes in cinema history!

I take it you saw the deleted coke scene where Elswit (I think?) positioned a camera underneath a glass coffee table and just shot them improvising, snorting, improvising, snorting.....J.C. Reilly, Wahlberg and the other dude (the male stripper) are so funny to watch
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Ernie

Quote from: punchdrunk23
I take it you saw the deleted coke scene where Elswit (I think?) positioned a camera underneath a glass coffee table and just shot them improvising, snorting, improvising, snorting.....J.C. Reilly, Wahlberg and the other dude (the male stripper) are so funny to watch

I love that fucking scene! It could have been the funniest scene had they kept it in there and edited it a little.

"Check the spy hole Todd!"

I also love the one where Reed and Dirk are trying to think of all the different routes Todd could've taken to get the coke and be late...that's funny as hell.

brockly

Quote from: punchdrunk23I take it you saw the deleted coke scene where Elswit (I think?) positioned a camera underneath a glass coffee table and just shot them improvising, snorting, improvising, snorting.....J.C. Reilly, Wahlberg and the other dude (the male stripper) are so funny to watch

Yeah, that scene was great, too. Another great improvising, deleted scene is the one with Maurice and Dirk doing the bar scene for Brock Landers. Dirk keeps fucking it up and called Maurice by his real name and stuff. Hilerious scene

BrainSushi

Quote from: Dendy
QuoteThe Sydney Barringer scene, I love. It's interesting and well done, but I can never get over the badly edited part when Sydney gets shot.

are you talking about the cut to a close-up of sydney's stomach blowing up, or how do you mean "badly edited?"

Yeah, I'm talking about the cut to the close-up of Sydney's stomach blowing up. As much as I love this movie, that has always bothered me, and I can't help it. As short as that shot is, it's still too long; I suppose it's hard to explain, but I wish that shot had been cut much shorter, like less than a second shorter.

fulty

Quote from: BrainSushithat has always bothered me, and I can't help it.
Yes, it's like, right after the narrator says he was killed instantly, you see him move his arm to protect his face from the net.  Fortunately, 2 seconds later I have totally forgotten this and am back in the movie.  

Favorite scene:  
Magnolia....Stanley tells his father to be nicer, twice.  :cry:
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

dufresne

hmm...

the Long Way Down/ Rahad Jackson scene jumps immediately to mind at the moment, but i know there are others...
There are shadows in life, baby.

pipo

Julianne Moore at the Drugstore, what a stress situation and so well managed, just gorgeous! And I'm quite convinced that this scene catapulted her to the skies of superstars. She should teach.
Hi, Just passed by...

Mellow Fellow

interesting fact about the rahad jackson scene i picked up. todd parker says "in the bedroom. under the bed..." that line is also said, the same way, in truffaut's 400 blows. this could be nothing, but i know pta is into the french new wave stuff, so it's a possibilty that that's where he got the line
Some people say I was an embarassment to the nation. Well, I say, that depends on what your definition of "was" is, jerk.

pipo

Yeah, he loves French cinema too same way as Woody Allen does. But the old flicks.
Hi, Just passed by...

cowboykurtis

Quote from: pipoYeah, he loves French cinema too same way as Woody Allen does. But the old flicks.

does he like french pussy, like woody allen?
...your excuses are your own...

Crash

You can't just pick ONE scene. PTA is too much for one scene. But these are my top choices

Boogie Nights: I don't know why but my jaw completely dropped on the closeups before the scene where eddie is eating breakfast cuz your totally inside that pan with the eggs and the bacon and everthing! It was most bodacious! My friend Jonny just goes "What've I been telling you? PTA knows his stuff!"  And also I loved the parallel scene when Dirk's inside that one dude's truck and Jack and Rollergirl are inside the limo. Think about this, Jack and Dirk were the biggest people in the bussiness. But once they parted ways they realized how worthless they actually were by themselves.  Dirk has to resort back to cleaning out his pee for $10. And remember how the guy said all he had was a ten? That was definitely not a coincidence. Jack realizes his worthlessness when that idiot, that gets in the limo to do rollergirl, tells him that his movies suck now. So Jack is made humbled but gets pissed off and totally goes guano ape on him (and Rollergirl totally kick his face with her skates). And Dirk is made humble but he gets his butt served to him on a silver platter.

Magnolia I read the script to Magnolia (and i would recommend that to anyone: read the script before you watch the movie) and I was completely blown away at the part when all the charecters sing the words to Wise Up (a perfect song for the moment) by Aimee Mann. But PTA totally ripped my arm off and beat my head with it when Earl and LInda were both unconsious at the same time (but in different places and for different reasons) but both kept singing the words. I fell over and fell into back snapping convulsions! it was awesome! and i also loved the ghetto zoom inside earl's lungs and you could see the cancer cells floating around, I loved it! anyway, those are my favorite scenes.
"Drum roll please...I'm gonna be a screenwriter! Like you!"

gar-ti-lí gi-o

wise up
frogs raining
the start of boogie nights
The scene were sydney is telling to jimmy that he dont want to die (zoom in)
The final scene in boogie nigths
..."solo queda en palabaras"...

neatahwanta

"How to Fake Like You are Nice and Caring"

"now this......*clears throat*......this is a ve'.....quite an important chapter, as you will see...."