Naomi Watts

Started by Xixax, January 09, 2003, 10:08:54 AM

Xixax

I finally caught my first David Lynch flick, Mulholland Drive, on cable last week and I was stricken with Naomi Watts' beauty and style. The way she pulled off her role in MD was truly killer.

Oddly, I don't recall seeing her in any of her other movies. According to IMDB, her resume, while lengthy, is filled with some pretty shitty movies.

I wonder if Mulholland Drive was a fluke, or if she is truly underrated?
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Jeremy Blackman

Well said. Her Mulholland Drive performance, which I have watched over and over again, is probably one of my favorite performances ever. Really incredible.

If you haven't seen The Ring, see it. Her starring role at least establishes that she's not a fluke, but also that she's not meant for conventional movies. Her performance was good, but pretty boring, cause she had no surreal oddities to work with. Put her in some Soderbergh movies or something.

Xixax

I know it was intentionally "over the top", but her audition scene in Mulholland Drive was absolutely show-stopping. I don't know if I've ever been so taken in by any performance before.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

©brad

Mulholland Dr.'s narrative, or whatever you want to call it, really relies on Naiomi Watt's performance. If she didn't pull off each "part" the movie really wouldn't work.

MacGuffin

You have to remember that "Mulholland Dr." was intended as a TV show; the movie was part of the pilot (i.e. no/low budget), so Naomi, of course, didn't have many credits to her name; there weren't really any name stars to begin with anyway. And this will also make you appreciate her more, she had to "revisit" the character a year later to shoot additional footage for Lynch to make it a feature film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bob

naomi has the misfortune of coming out at the same time and many other "blondes".  she really kicks their ass, all of them.  hopefully, some people in the right places see that she is different.

life_boy

I hope she gets some good scripts sent her way.

MacGuffin

Ms. Watts's next project is working with Merchant Ivory in "Le Divorce":

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pedro

Mac...

Where do you get this information?!  Always on top of things...I envy you :shock:

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Pedro the WombatMac...

Where do you get this information?!  Always on top of things...I envy you :shock:

He works with AICN, but due to conflicts of interest, refuses to tell anyone. I dangled a copy of the L.A. Times over his head, and he broke down in a river of tears, telling me everything--the estranged son, the job at Taco Bell, and that one dark, confused night in '82.

MacGuffin

I don't know if it's a source or a website, but Starburst indicates Naomi Watts is up for the role of Supergirl.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

She was masterful in Muholland Drive, but I am beginning to fear her career path will start to follow Movieland money than anything else. The Ring established that she could scream and looked panicked, but so can every other woman of a scary movie there. Nothing really in that role to sink one's teeth into. I hear she has some romantic comedies coming up and such. *Remembers the movie Ruby in Paradise and the following career of who starred in it and sighs*

~rougerum

©brad

Quote from: MacGuffinYou have to remember that "Mulholland Dr." was intended as a TV show; the movie was part of the pilot (i.e. no/low budget), so Naomi, of course, didn't have many credits to her name; there weren't really any name stars to begin with anyway. And this will also make you appreciate her more, she had to "revisit" the character a year later to shoot additional footage for Lynch to make it a feature film.

I read an interview with her recently. They shot all the beginning stuff first for the TV pilot, then stopped when ABC thought the shit was getting too weird for TV. Then Lynch called her and the other chick and said "Okay, we're going to make it into a movie and there is going to be sex and nudity in it." There was originally going to be three sex scenes in the film but after Naomi cried several times and begged Lynch in a teary protest, he agreed to cut one of them. motherfucker!!! grrrr.

MacGuffin

Ruffalo and Watts in Indie Anymore

Naomi Watts, Mark Ruffalo, Laura Dern and Peter Krause are in negotiations to topline the tentatively titled indie feature Anymore, reports The Hollywood Reporter. Production begins April 6 in Vancouver with John Curran directing.

The film is based on two short stories written by In the Bedroom author Andre Dubus -- "Adultery" and "We Don't Live Here Anymore."

Larry Gross adapted the screenplay, which looks at two couples who are friends and whose relationships are intertwined. Watts and Krause play one couple, while Dern and Ruffalo are another.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Victor

Quote from: MacGuffinRuffalo and Watts in Indie Anymore

Naomi Watts, Mark Ruffalo, Laura Dern and Peter Krause

stories written by In the Bedroom author Andre Dubus -- "Adultery" and "We Don't Live Here Anymore."

Watts and Krause play one couple, while Dern and Ruffalo are another.

i cant think of a thing im not loving about this.
are you gonna eat with us too?