Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

Started by MacGuffin, May 19, 2005, 07:07:27 PM

MacGuffin

Depp, Banderas To Call 'Sin City' Home? Rodriguez, Dawson Talk Sequels
Director, star enthused about volume two — and three.
Source: MTV

BEVERLY HILLS, California — Walk down the right back alley in Sin City and you can find almost anything — even details about the neo-noir blockbuster's next two installments.

"Basically ['Sin City 2'] is based on [the 'Sin City' story] 'A Dame to Kill For,' which has a lot of the old characters still alive because it's a prequel to ['The Big Fat Kill']," director Robert Rodriguez revealed. "[Author and co-director] Frank Miller's already written the script. Right now we're just talking about when we're going to get started."

Count in Rosario Dawson. The 27-year-old actress said she is "very excited" to reprise her role as Gail, the leather-clad prostitute whose love/hate relationship with Dwight (Clive Owen) fuels much of the story.

"There are a couple of sentences and things [Clive and I] say back and forth to each other [in 'The Big Fat Kill'] like, 'Oh, it's been so long since you've been here,' and, 'After we did what we did for you, why then did you leave?' Because it's a prequel to the [first movie's] middle story — which is the one I was in with Clive. That story line is going to be explained," she reported. She added enthusiastically: "I'm really looking forward to going in there and doing it again, because there are things I would have loved to do more with the character."

Among those things she's most looking forward to, Dawson grinned, is a new outfit that would make most grown women blush.

"I'm trying to figure out how to top my outfit [from the first one]. I was like, 'Geez, I'm going to have to be down to pasties and a thong,' " the "Grindhouse" star laughed. "But I'm very excited to be wearing a [dominatrix] mask in this one. I wanted to have it in the first one, but they [said], 'You can't cover your face, it defeats the purpose.' But I want it to look as realistic as possible."

By "realistic," of course, Dawson meant faithful to the graphic novel, not true to any real-world experience. But she did hint that this time around the experience should feel much more "regular" — at least in terms of narrative.

"Rather than the first 'Sin City,' where it was three different books kind of put together with different time frames, this is one full story all the way through," Dawson explained of the film's plot. "So it will be a much more regular movie in that sense — well, as much as 'Sin City' and black-and-white craziness can be regular."

Fans should expect anything but a "regular" experience in the third "Sin City." Rodriguez suggested it will revolve around "Hell and Back," the story of Wallace, a brooding artist who, due to being drugged repetitively, wanders through most of the tale hallucinating.

But if you think that's weird, wait until you see how it's played ... by Johnny Depp?

"He was interested in doing the Jackie Boy character that Benicio [del Toro] played [in the first one], but he was doing that movie 'Libertine' in Europe and it just kept getting pushed and delayed and went right through our shooting schedule," Rodriquez said of the actor he directed in "Once Upon a Time in Mexico." "But there is a better role for him in ['Hell and Back']. I kept going, 'Gosh, Jackie Boy is a small part, he could be really good [as Wallace].' When he wasn't available, I thought maybe it was meant to be."

While no deal is in place for Depp at the moment, Rodriguez seemed coyly confident they would get the Oscar-nominated actor. The director was equally excited about potentially casting another of his old favorites, Antonio Banderas.

"When I showed him the first sample of the work, he went, 'Man I'll do anything in that. I'll be the hunchback. You have to bring me onboard, that looks amazing,' " Rodriguez recalled. "So Frank met him that time too and he said, 'I have got to find something for that guy. I've never met him before. He's amazing.' [So we're] looking at the cast of characters and [looking] to see where he can fit."

With Miller excited, Banderas might not have to wait long — the author has already rewritten some of his work to facilitate the new actors, recently adding in scenes in "A Dame to Kill For" with Jessica Alba's Nancy Callahan, for instance. But then, this is "Sin City" — walk down the right back alley and you can find almost anything.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

from a Premiere interview with Michael Madsen...

When you do Inglorious Bastards, you are going to be in Paris for a while. Is that maybe going to be an opportunity to bring your family over to Europe?
Well, that would certainly be my plan. Johnny Depp figured that out. I love Johnny by the way. We did Donnie Brasco together. He's a good cat.

Talking about shooting in Paris and Inglorious Bastards, is that what you are about to work on now?
I just finished Hellride for Quentin [Tarantino] on Wednesday, and then I had to go straight from the set to LAX. Hellride is a big giant motorcycle movie. I just saw Quentin at the Martinez [Hotel in Cannes]. He is looking well. But he is writing Inglorious Bastards. We haven't started shooting yet. He is still out promoting Death Proof.

Some of the other things that you have got coming up include Sin City 2.

They haven't shot it yet. I don't know if they ever will. I am not sure [about] the franchise. I think the Grindhouse thing didn't kind of work out...

...as well as they had hoped. Certainly not in the States.
I don't know what effect that is going to have on making Sin City 2. Sin City was Mickey [Rourke]'s film. Mickey is fucking incredible in that fucking movie. He is the movie. And I am happy for Mickey. Mickey is the real deal. Mickey is Mickey. And you can't fuck with that. And he did a tremendous job in that thing. The only reason I did it was because Robert Rodriguez said that if I took that little part I would get a bigger role in the sequel, that Bob would have more to do in the sequel. So I said: "Okay, fine." I am sitting on an apple box [in front of a green screen] and then when you see the movie, you're in a car. I don't understand it. I don't know how to do that. I don't get it.

Have you seen the script for Sin City 2 yet?
No. I talk to Frank Miller quite often. He came up to my house and we drank a lot of tequila. Frank is pretty funny. I haven't seen the script for Sin City 2. I don't know if they are gonna make it. I hope they do. And if and when they do, I will be in it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Sin City 2 Still on, But It Will Have to Wait
Source: Rotten Tomatoes

A few days ago, Michael Madsen was quoted saying that the poor performance of Grindhouse might affect whether Sin City 2 will be made. Not true, according to words from Frank Miller in a new interview at Rotten Tomatoes:

Of course, by stroke of coincidence we learned just before we sat down with Miller that Robert Rodriguez had been signed onto a remake of the classic sixties sex flick "Barbarella." So what of "Sin City 2"? Rumours swirl that the project has been stalled by the breakdown of Rodriguez' marriage. "Sin City 2 is still likely to happen," says Miller, "just not right away. The script is written and Robert and I are raring to go, but it looks like I'm going to be doing The Spirit first and Robert's going to be doing Barbarella first."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

god, grindhouse really fucked EVERYTHING up, huh?

yeah it was a pretty good three hours in a movie theater (in my opinion, anyway), but it broke up rodriguez's marriage, made everybody hate tarantino, in all likelihood, it made the weinsteins wary of giving any kind of film experiment any kind of budget, and now sin city 2 (a movie that would've made a huge amount of money) might not even get made (and if it ever does, will anybody care so long after the first one?).

this might even herald the end of the auteur (at least with big budgets anyway). i mean, if the two star directors that made independent cinema mainstream failed miserably, how will any studio give anybody with a decent idea free reign?

...this movie really fucked EVERYTHING...
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

Frank Miller's Return Trip To 'Sin City' Still Moving Forward
Source: MTV

Walk down the right back alley in "Sin City" and you can find almost anything. Walk down the red carpet at the MTV Movie Awards and you can find even more.

Two years after "Sin City" thrilled audiences with its revolutionary style, author and co-director Frank Miller was eager to tease fans with talk of the sequel. "Robert [Rodriguez] and I have a script and we're all raring to go. We're aching to get started," he said. "I want to work with that crew again...that wonderful cast."

Rodriguez previously revealed to MTV News that the film will be an adaptation of Miller's "A Dame to Kill For," a prequel to "The Big Fat Kill." But what Miller could really use is a Big Fat Starting Date. With Miller set to direct "The Spirit" and Rodriguez gearing up for a remake of "Barbarella," it was recently announced that filming on the sequel would be pushed back.

"There was just some problems above us that I don't understand...that I don't really want to understand," Miller said matter of factly about studio delays in pre-production. All of which shouldn't bum out fans, he insisted, since he expects not only to eventually film "Sin City 2," but "Sin City 3" as well. That story, Rodriguez divulged, would concentrate on Miller's "Hell and Back," the story of a hallucinating artist named Wallace. Rumors have persisted for months that the role of Wallace was being written for Johnny Depp, a casting coup that Rodriguez himself was coyly confident would eventually happen.

As for Miller? "I ain't talking cast until we're actually shooting," he said, a large smile crossing his face at the possibility of getting Depp, "or close to it!"

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Sin City' sequel up for grabs?
Dimension's option on rights appears to have lapsed
Source: Hollywood Reporter

The sequel rights to "Sin City," Frank Miller's popular noir comic, are being shopped around Hollywood, in what appears to be a sign that Dimension Films has lost rights to the property.

The Weinstein Co./Dimension continue to maintain that they hold the rights to any sequel for the Robert Rodriguez film, which grossed $159 million worldwide when it came out in 2005.

But producers say they have been shopped the rights by reps for Miller's estate, who they say are seeking a new place to set up a potential follow-up.

If the Weinsteins' option did lapse, it could have happened for reasons ranging from development inactivity to a decision not to pay to re-up. Sequel rights generally require a certain amount of activity within a defined period to remain with the original rights holder, though in many deals those periods stretch much longer than the four years that have elapsed since the original "Sin City" came out.

It is unclear what kind of involvement Rodriguez, who directed the first movie and has strong connections to both TWC and Miller, would have with a potential sequel.

"Sin City," starring Jessica Alba, Bruce Willis and Rosario Dawson, was made for about $45 million and told the story of corruption in the fictional Basin City; it garnered praise for its stylized violence and dark themes.

After its release, Dimension quickly put a sequel into development, with Angelina Jolie expressing interest in a role. The project, however, has since languished in development.

Online rumors that Dimension had lost the rights first surfaced several weeks ago but were quashed by TWC attorney Bert Fields, who called them "hogwash."

"TWC's rights to produce sequels to 'Sin City' remain intact as they always have been," he stated at the time. TWC said Wednesday that it stood by that statement.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Sin City' Sequel Is A Go For Robert Rodriguez And Frank Miller
BY MIKE FLEMING | Deadline

This will be welcome news for fans of the stylized and gritty adaptation of Frank Miller's Sin City that prompted Robert Rodriguez to exit the Directors Guild because the DGA wouldn't let Miller co-direct the film with Rodriguez. Dimension Films, which released the first, announced that deals have been made and casting is underway. Rodriguez will have another sequel selling at Cannes. That is the Danny Trejo-starrer Machete 2, and I've heard that Rodriguez is chasing cast that includes Michelle Williams and Mel Gibson. Here's the release on 'Sin City.'

AUSTIN, TX (12 April 2012) — Filmmakers Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller, along with producer Alexander Rodnyansky, have announced that production will commence on the highly anticipated sequel to 2005's Sin City, entitled Sin City: A Dame To Kill For. The film will be produced by AR Films and Quick Draw Productions, financed through AR Films U.S and released domestically by Dimension Films.

"The first question I am always asked is "When will you make another Sin City? ," said Rodriquez. "I have wanted to re-team with Frank Miller and return to the world he created since the day we wrapped the original, but have felt a duty to the fans to wait until we had something truly exceptional that would meet and exceed what have become epic expectations. A Dame To Kill For will certainly be worth the wait."

Sin City creator, screenwriter and co-director Frank Miller said, "The first Sin City knocked out audiences who had never seen anything like it before. Robert Rodriguez and I are going to shake things up and deliver a ferocious film experience that is going to go even further than the first."
The script and details of the film's story have been kept tightly under wraps. Casting will begin next week, with many of the original cast expected to return. The film, a Quick Draw Production, will be produced by Rodriguez and producing partners Aaron Kaufman and Iliana Nikolic; and by Alexander Rodnyansky and Sergei Bespalov and Stephen L'Hereux. Miller, The Weinstein Company's Harvey and Bob Weinstein and Miramax's Adam Fields will act as executive producers. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For was developed by Frank Miller based upon his graphic novel, with a screenplay by Frank Miller and Academy Award winner William Monahan (The Departed). The film is expected to begin production this summer at Rodriguez's Troublemaker Studios in Austin, Texas.
Alexander Rodnyansky said, "We are delighted to continue our relationship with Robert Rodriguez and Quick Draw Productions. It is a rare opportunity to produce and finance a film with the high profile and enormous fan base of the Sin City franchise. AR FIlms will be managing worldwide sales of Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, as well as Robert's Machete Kills at the Cannes Film Festival in May."

The original Sin City was brought to the screen by Rodriguez and Miller and released by Dimension in 2005, and proved to be a landmark step forward in filmmaking, breaking ground with immersive green screen to create its iconic stylish look. The first film, released on April 1, 2005, grossed over $160 million (US) worldwide and is a consistently strong home video and television performer.

"Audiences have been clamoring for Sin City 2 with Robert and Frank for a long time and trust me, it will be worth the wait," said Bob Weinstein, co-chairman of The Weinstein Company. "This will be my 11th collaboration with Robert in 16 years and he's become a great friend. I look forward to continuing our long lasting relationship and partnering on more projects in the future."

The deal was negotiated by Aaron Kaufman, Craig Emanuel of Loeb & Loeb and Robert Newman of WME on behalf of Rodriguez; David Glasser and Andrew Kramer on behalf of Dimension Films; Schuyler Moore of Stroock & Stroock & Lavan and Jere Hausfater on behalf of AR Films; Kenneth Keller and Garth Rosengren of Krieg, Keller, Sloan, Reilley & Roman and John LaViolette of Bloom Hergott Diemer Rosenthal LaViolette Feldman Schenkman & Goodman on behalf of Stephen L'Heureux and Solopsist Films; and Mark Lichtman and Neil Meyer and Allison Binder of Stone, Meyer, Genow, Smelkinson & Binder on behalf of Miller.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Sin City' Sequel Gets a Release Date
Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller are co-directing the movie, which will shoot this summer in Austin, Texas.
Source: THR

Dimension Films has set Oct. 4, 2013 for its sequel to Sin City, Frank Miller's Sin City: A Dame To Kill For.

Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller are co-directing the movie, which is scheduled to shoot this summer in Austin, home of Rodriguez's Troublemaker Studios.

Much of the cast from the first movie is expected to return, including Mickey Rourke, whose character Marv was killed in the 2005 movie.

A hunt is on for actors to fill in the new roles.
The movie will once again be made in the same black-and-white and highly stylized format, though this time the movie will be in 3D. 

The film will be released by Dimension Films in the US and Canada, and produced by Quick Draw Productions, AR Films, Miramax and Solipsist.

Aldamisa International's COO Jere Hausfater and president of international sales and distribution Nadine de Barros will oversee international sales for at the Cannes Film Festival.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Eva Green & Julia Garner Are The Latest Dames To Kill For In 'Sin City 2'
Source: Playlist

Robert Rodriguez's CGI-heavy and visually stylistic "Sin City" movies require heavy technical demands, but also allow him a flexibility in filmmaking. Essentially, since everything is on green screens, and thanks to advances in technology, shooting can take place whenever cast members are available, and then everything can be stitched together afterward. Actors in the same scene don't necessarily don't have to be on the same set on the same day, so it's no surprise that as cameras keep rolling on "Sin City: A Dame To Kill For," new cast members are being added.

The latest are Eva Green and the rising Julia Garner, who will play the femme fatale Ava Lord and a stripper tied into Joseph Gordon-Levitt's gambler Johnny, respectively. Ava Lord is the ex-lover of Dwight (played by Clive Owen in the first film), who has Manute (now played by Dennis Haysbert replacing the late Michael Clarke Duncan) wrapped around her finger as her manservant. As for Garner's role, not much else is known, but she's an actress who we called "If...not the next big thing, she's probably the next, next big thing" after seeing perfromance in "Electrick Children" at the Berlin International Film Festival last year. And with roles since in "Perks Of Being A Wallflower," "Not Fade Away," "The Last Excorcism Part II" and now this, it seems to be the case.

"Sin City: A Dame To Kill For" arrives on October 4th.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

THANK YOU GOD
im a huge geek for the first one, and the comics, so i think i just blew a brain cell.

Axolotl

Wait. Is that Steven Soderbergh at 0:40?

Like how they included dialogue that contains the title. What are some other examples-

"I guess we're just a bunch of USUAL SUSPECTS, huh"
"I told you Eli, I told you THERE WILL BE BLOOD!"

Pubrick

Quote from: Axolotl on March 06, 2014, 05:51:44 PM
Like how they included dialogue that contains the title. What are some other examples-

"I guess we're just a bunch of USUAL SUSPECTS, huh"
"I told you Eli, I told you THERE WILL BE BLOOD!"

you may want to take a look at this classic thread: http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=9146.0
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks