Okay, it's time someone asked it... (Beatles)

Started by Kev Hoffman, April 10, 2003, 10:17:16 PM

MacGuffin

Beatles Rework "Let It Be"

The lads of Liverpool are ready to get back to where they once belonged, at least where it concerns the making of the Let It Be album.

The surviving Beatles plan to release on November 17 a newly revised edition of their classic 1970 opus, which strips out the flowery orchestrations added by legendary producer Phil Spector and recaptures the Fab Four at their most magical and intimate, the Beatles' company, Apple Corps. Records announced today.

"If we had today's technology back then, it would sound like this because this is the noise we made in the studio. It's all exactly as it was in the room. You're right there now," Paul McCartney said in a statement.

The quieter version, dubbed Let It Be...Naked and approved by the late George Harrison before his death in 2001, has long been a pet project of McCartney's, who thought the original recordings deserved to be heard and was never happy with the string arrangements Spector added to "The Long and Winding Road."

McCartney and John Lennon penned most of the tunes in 1969 and originally wanted to call the new collection, Get Back. But the Beatles ended up disbanding in 1970 before finishing the album.

Lennon, who had an affinity for Spector's revolutionary implementation of studio effects and over-dubbing to create his trademark wall of sound--an orchestral wash that helped score hits for the Righteous Brothers, the Ronettes, and many others--invited him to sift through hundreds of hours of tapes and complete what ultimately became Let It Be, which accompanied the film of the same name.

Conceiving the idea for the re-issue over two years ago, McCartney and drummer Ringo Starr hope to present the Moptop's final release as they originally intended--a back-to-basics album showcasing a roots-oriented rock and roll band.

"When I first heard it, it was really uplifting," Starr told Reuters. "It took you back again to the times when we were this band, the Beatle band."

Naked nixes "Dig It" and "Maggie Mae," plus background dialogue, in favor of featuring "Don't Let Me Down," a track that was not on the original album. And another treat for Beatles fans, the de-Spectorized version will also include a special 20-minute bonus disc of rare footage of the musicians in recording and film sessions as well as a CD booklet containing photos and text that was originally published in the Let It Be vinyl booklet.

While the Beatles may be gone, they're more popular than ever these days.

One, their compilation of number-one hits, has already sold over 24 million copies worldwide. Plus, those wanting to see John, Paul, George and Ringo at their apex, be on the lookout for The Ed Sullivan Shows Featuring the Beatles, a two-disc DVD set containing all 20 historic performances of the British band, which hits stores on October 28.

The BBC, meanwhile plans to air a special on September 20 showing lost footage of the era, including clips of Lennon hanging out with wife Yoko Ono and the Rolling Stones' Mick Jagger.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

European Son

Apparantly this isn't the same thing as the Get Back album. Let it Be......Naked......what a stupid title. You know that had to be Paul's idea. Sounds like something he would come up with. Don't get me wrong, I love Paul, but that's a terrible title.

NEON MERCURY

..I voted for "great"..there really is nothing more I can say about them that 1,000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
0000000000000.323  people haven't said already..influential and amazing musicians I will agreee. . But my peronal fav. stuf by them is everyhting from rubber soul on....

Vile5

Beatles changed the history of the music
and in my humble opinion they're the greatest band ever
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

Find Your Magali

Exciting news for Beatles fans.

From //www.dvdjournal.com

Finally, GoodTimes and Apple have collaborated to bring a rarity to Beatlemaniacs the world over — The Ed Sullivan Shows Featuring The Beatles will offer four complete episodes of "The Ed Sullivan Show" from 1964 and 1965 featuring the Liverpudlian mop-tops. The quartet of hour-long programs feature 20 Beatles numbers (11 not seen since the original airings), and the live national broadcasts also include the other acts on the "big show" those historic nights and some vintage TV commercials. We've already previewed a copy at DVD Journal headquarters, and we're certain Beatles fans will find this slice of history hard to resist.

(There was no word on a release date.)

blackmamba

No fuck'n contest here, the Beatles paved the way for so many bands and so many different types of music.

MacGuffin

I picked up this album with the thinking that it would be like tracks left off of the Anthology series CDs...and I was right. It's no way better than the released "Let It Be" album, but it's interesting to hear the alternate takes.

The album starts off "Get Back," "Dig A Pony" and "For You Blue", and at first you're thinking, "What's the difference?" Nothing really. They may be slight, but if you played them saying they were the originals, no one would really question that, same with "I Me Mine". "The Long And Winding Road" is the most radical difference on the album. It takes away all the strings and horns that Phil Spector layed down, and it doesn't work. It sounds more like a work still in progress, as does "Don't Let Me Down". "Two Of Us" seems to have Lennon's vocals dominate instead of being the intended duet. "I've Got A Feeling" is the only track that I think I would like more that the original. It's much more polished without losing it rawness, especially in the vocals where the energy is very evident. "One After 909" suffers from a lack energy on the vocals, even lacking Paul's addition of "Run right home" at one point. "Across The Universe" has it's tempo sped up just a bit that takes away from the gentleness of the song. "Let It Be" is also another case where stripped down makes this version inferior and not the 'epic' song that is so well known.

The second disc called "Fly On The Wall" is just that, sound bites of sessions; discussions about events going on, the songs, etc.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Quote from: Cecili think theyre great but i rarely listen to them. its too... happy pappy "i love you"-ish for my tastes.

i only listen to sad, sad songs... pour your misery down on me

They do have some sad, sad, songs though (though they're also happy when it isn't raining, sad to say).

"Eleanor Rigby" and "She's Leaving Home" are by far my two favorite Beatles songs.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

cine

The "happy pappy "i love you"-ish" songs are mainly Beatles songs from the early 60's anyway.

I agree with the majority of what Mac said about the album, however I'm still undecided about Across the Universe. It's one of my favourite Beatles songs and I've been debating on which one I prefer more. If interpreted different ways, they both of their own power. The 'Naked' version sounds emptier but that fits for me. But yes, the downside is that the tempo is sped up.. Interesting album nonetheless.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I know I voted, but I wonder why I never posted here.

They really did pave the way for a lot of bands, but best ever is a stretch.  As long as music progresses, we won't have a best ever (even if you think it's declining.)

But, it's safe to say they're one of, if not THE.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

classical gas

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: Cecili think theyre great but i rarely listen to them. its too... happy pappy "i love you"-ish for my tastes.

They do have some sad, sad, songs though (though they're also happy when it isn't raining, sad to say).

"Eleanor Rigby" and "She's Leaving Home" are by far my two favorite Beatles songs.

I would say "A Day in the Life" always makes me a little sad.

godardian

Quote from: classical gas
Quote from: godardian

I would say "A Day in the Life" always makes me a little sad.

"These Are the Sad Songs" by Suede:

"Lay Lady Lay and Band of Gold
A Day in the Life, And Dream of Sheep
Seasong and Vincent and Death Disco
Listen to the music in your sleep

These are the sad songs, the broken words
These are the sad songs, the lies you've heard
These are the good times you keep inside
These are the good things that you can have if you try

Venus in Furs and An Occasional Dream
Sign 'o the Times and Bill is Dead
and Lazy-itis and Big Louise
Listen to the music in your head

These are the sad songs..."

The other artists (that I know) mentioned, respectively: Dylan, Frida Payne, Kate Bush, Public Image Ltd., Velvet Underground, Bowie, Prince, Happy Mondays, and Scott Walker.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

classical gas

man, i really wanted to download this song, but i couldn't find it; however, i did find some other suede songs, never heard of them before.  interesting stuff, not bad...good voice on that guy

okay, slight detour, back to the beatles.....

godardian

Quote from: classical gasman, i really wanted to download this song, but i couldn't find it; however, i did find some other suede songs, never heard of them before.  interesting stuff, not bad...good voice on that guy

okay, slight detour, back to the beatles.....

Which songs were they? PM me. I might be able to get you "These Are the Sad Songs" (a b-side).

aclockworkjj

I've just seen a face...

a good toon.  any care to agree?

in fact help, revolver, let it be....good era too.