Game of Thrones (spoilers)

Started by diggler, June 06, 2011, 02:39:04 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Very light speculation spoilers

Jon Snow rumors swirl after Kit Harington sighting in Belfast

http://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/jon-snow-rumors-abound-after-kit-harington-sighting/

Fans have held onto hope that Game of Thrones character Jon Snow, who met a grisly demise at the end of season five by the hands of his fellow Night's Watchmen, will somehow appear in season six. Such theories — including that actor Kit Harington will return as a Wight, or that the character of Jon Snow lives on through the direwolf Ghost — were bolstered by a few fan snapshots taken of Harington flying into Belfast, where Game of Thrones is currently shooting season six. Harrington was also spotted Wednesday with GoT co-star Ben Crompton, who plays Night's Watch brother Dolorous Edd. Still, the skeptics say that Harington could be in Belfast to visit friends in the cast, or possibly to appear in a flashback or funeral scene. Either way, Harington is still sporting Snow's luscious locks.

Jeremy Blackman

George R.R. Martin to Fans: Don't Hold Your Breath For That Next Game of Thrones Book

The Winds of Winter won't be done any time soon.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/books/news/a40900/george-rr-martin-game-of-thrones-book-update/

There are times when it's hard to be a Game of Thrones fan. Pretty much every character you love dies. The books are really, really, really long—sometimes unnecessarily so. And author George R.R. Martin famously writes at the pace of about two books a decade. Now, Martin is kicking off 2016 with some bad news about the much-anticipated next book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series: You're not going to see The Winds of Winter any time soon. As he writes on his personal Live Journal page:

THE WINDS OF WINTER is not finished.

Believe me, it gave me no pleasure to type those words. You're disappointed, and you're not alone. My editors and publishers are disappointed, HBO is disappointed, my agents and foreign publishers and translators are disappointed... but no one could possibly be more disappointed than me. For months now I have wanted nothing so much as to be able to say, "I have completed and delivered THE WINDS OF WINTER" on or before the last day of 2015.

But the book's not done. Nor is it likely to be finished tomorrow, or next week.

His note seems to be a response to a number of reports last week on theories that Martin hadn't even started on The Winds of Winter.

Yes, there's a lot written. Hundreds of pages. Dozens of chapters. (Those 'no pages done' reports were insane, the usual garbage internet journalism that I have learned to despise). But there's also a lot still left to write. I am months away still... and that's if the writing goes well. (Sometimes it does. Sometimes it doesn't.) Chapters still to write, of course... but also rewriting. I always do a lot of rewriting, sometimes just polishing, sometimes pretty major restructures.

In his lengthy note, Martin admits that the book will not be done before Game of Thrones season six airs on April 8. He had intended to have the book released by late March, which would have meant he needed to finish a manuscript Halloween. But he didn't get it done, because, as he says, "You can blame my travels or my blog posts or the distractions of other projects and the Cocteau and whatever, but maybe all that had an impact... you can blame my age, and maybe that had an impact too...but if truth be told, sometimes the writing goes well and sometimes it doesn't, and that was true for me even when I was in my 20s."

Now, the only deadline that he's giving himself is that, "It will be done when it's done." And this means, of course, that the HBO show will certainly pass where the books are at. Which, brings up the next obvious question: Will the show spoil the books? Martin has another disappointing answer for that: "Maybe. Yes and no ... Some of the 'spoilers' you may encounter in season six may not be spoilers at all... because the show and the books have diverged, and will continue to do so."

Drenk

SPOILERS GoT season 5:

I don't care about waiting for the book and I hope the pressure doesn't destroy his process...but I'm also sad that after hundred and hundred of pages I'll discover what the fuck is happening behind the Wall in the TV Show. Of course, the books and the show are different. And I prefer the books. But it's still a bummer...

I can decide not to watch the show. But who am I kidding, right?
Ascension.

Drenk

No chance for GoT to be the best show ever. Sorry.  :yabbse-grin:
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

Fernando

cant wait.

I'm curious to see if the writing of this season will be as good as the others, since they are now in some story lines way off the book and the rest are not written/published yet. I know GRRM has given them hints where he's going with it but still we'll see if they can deliver.

I have hope because Dan and David have written great scenes that aren't in the books, we'll see.

Jeremy Blackman

Ian McShane spoiled something in an interview. Outrage followed. His response?

"Get a fucking life. It's only tits and dragons."

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/03/ian-mcshane-tits-and-dragons

(For the record, he actually dropped two spoilers, one being more severe and specific. Unfortunately I've now read both of them.)

Robyn

the last trailer is good! trailer spoilers and speculations:

tyrion is definitely a targaryen. it make too much sense at this point. when he visit the dragons at the end of the trailer it's because 1) he knows that he is a targaryen or 2) is about to realize that. drogon is obviously daenerys dragon and it makes sense that tyrion will ride one of the others.

I just watched S04E01 and had forgotten all about this scene:

just imagine the last scene of this whole thing when tyrion, daenerys and jon snow are flying away into the sunset with their dragons, looking at each other and smiling because everything went okay. it will be the most beautiful ending and this song will be the perfect soundtrack for it:

it's time to say goodbye to yesterday. all men mustn't die. IT'S GONNA BE OKAY

Jeremy Blackman

FYI, if you don't have HBO, you can sign up for a 30-day free trial of HBO NOW. And honestly, $15/mo is reasonable.

Also keep in mind that HBO is more aggressive about torrents than any other entity. (Unless you use a VPN.)

Jeremy Blackman

Just a reminder, we don't need to post spoiler warnings here, as the thread title suggests. Only post warnings for significant future spoilers like things seen in previews. Lots of people avoid the previews.

––––––––––

Oh how I missed Game of Thrones. It's not my favorite TV show, but it's the one that I anticipate with the most white hot intensity. By a wide margin.

And part of that is GoT's ability to thoroughly satisfy, once in a while giving us a profound payoff that brings character and plot into glorious convergence. When Brienne kneeled down and started giving her oath to Sansa, I cried. When Sansa accepted her oath, I cried like ten babies. You can see in Sansa's eyes a glimmer of happiness and optimism for the first time in a long time. It was so beautiful and so flawlessly understated. I think if they'd hugged, I would have had a brain aneurism.

I like how they brought Jon's wolf and the Red Woman into the picture to cruelly tease both possibilities. It's too late for Jon to warg, though, isn't it? Would he have had to do that as he was dying? Unless next week, we see the wolf clawing a message into the floor.

Can't wait to see what transpires next with Melisandre. Late last season we saw her doubting her powers and even her faith, but surely that was a little disingenuous. Because she's been magically disguising her appearance this whole time, and because she knows the Lord of Light (or whatever it channels) contains tangible power beyond herself. I'd like to see her go back into that room with Davos. Maybe she's chastened now and could become a benevolent ally — maybe even sacrificing herself to revive Jon.

So Arya is Daredevil now? Why does this universe get to have absolutely everything?

Sleepless

Was a good first ep, but conciously trying to cram in every character to give us an update. Save for Bran, of course. They're definitely milking the Jon Snow death though - I just want that resolved so the internet isn't all "is he dead?" Cersei remains my favorite character, and that moment where her happiness melts into sadness as she realizes her daughter is dead was wonderfully done, powerfully understated just like the Sansa-Brienne moment. Actually, I really thought for a moment that Sansa and Theon weren't going to escape. After all, people easy escape on TV all the time, GOT has to buck the trend in that regard doesn't it? Fortunately not, because it's nice to see Sansa get a break for once.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Jeremy Blackman

It was indeed a relief to see Sansa not simply being raped into her next character moment. I was absolutely sure Brienne was going to save her, though. Because I wasn't willing to entertain other possibilities.

I heard an observation about that scene, which really brought out the subtleties for me: Notice how Sansa begins accepting the oath tentatively, sheepishly. (I also see a look of shame that she didn't accept Brienne's oath the first time.) She is tentative, even looking to Theon for approval. Then as it continues, you can see her gaining confidence. Remembering her lineage. Standing up a little straighter. Recognizing how proud she should be that she's actually made it here, to this moment. What a performance.

Some light speculation spoilers:

People are suggesting that Jon's consciousness is currently in Ghost (his direwolf). And then when Melisandre revives him, it will transfer back into his body. But it will bring along some wolf qualities; apparently there is precedent for that in the books. The act of reviving changes a person too. So Jon could come back with two dimensions of change.

This courtesy of Matt Atchity (editor-in-chief of Rotten Tomatoes, from their podcast): Book readers are upset that the Dorne story was harshly and suddenly pruned. But it could actually lead to something very interesting. Imagine King's Landing and Dorne going to war, turning the South into a disaster area. The populace will be begging for Daenerys to intervene and restore peace.

I've heard some doubt that Stannis is dead. But he absolutely is. In the "previously on" clip, you can actually hear Oathkeeper slicing through his neck. They included the gore sound effect just to make it clear, and so they could keep the focus on Brienne, where it belonged.

Fernando

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on April 26, 2016, 06:04:55 PM

Some light speculation spoilers:

People are suggesting that Jon's consciousness is currently in Ghost (his direwolf). And then when Melisandre revives him, it will transfer back into his body. But it will bring along some wolf qualities; apparently there is precedent for that in the books. The act of reviving changes a person too. So Jon could come back with two dimensions of change.

Minor book spoils.

In the book Dance with dragons is evident that Jon too has warg abilities but he has never used them, and that warg wildling he killed said he was like him too but didn't know about it.

the little we saw ghost last week there is no indication he warged in him, many book readers speculate that he could live through ghost and maybe that would work on the book but I have my doubts it can work on the tv show.

As for Melisandre, she tells him that she sees daggers in his future and that at some point he will have need of her, so, many believe it will be Melisandre who revives him. as of right now I have my doubts it will happen (in the tv show) given that she has lost faith in herself, many things could change of course.

another interesting bit of Melisandre's chapter in ADWD is that she keeps asking to see Azor Ahai (Stannis according to her) in her fires but she only sees snow.

Fernando

not a single comment, were you disappointed or what?

Jon. Through the final scene couldn't help to notice that Melisandre's gem never glowed, and so I think it was a weird choice the way they brought him back, I understand that that Mel is having doubts and all that but IMO the scene could have been more powerful if done a little different, other than that no complains, I'm happy he's back.

Ramsey. The surprising thing about him is that he is even worse in the books, having said that, he oddly looked like he wasn't enjoying the killing of Walda and her infant son, although he chose the most horrible way to kill them. Roose's death was unexpected and it was one of the characters I wanted to see go in a horrible way, it's weird but it didn't feel that awful, although he died exactly like Robb, he literally reaped what he sowed.

Bran. It's going to be interesting how much he goes to the past and future and what they show us, there are many stories they could tell.

Tyrion's freeing the dragons was good, I wonder if they left the door open so they can escape...

Kill of the week. The giant smashing that crow to the wall.

Jeremy Blackman

I definitely liked the episode...

Ramsay not taking pleasure in Roose's death (looking away, even) was interesting. But then he grits his teeth and moves on, deriving power from what he's done, like Kylo Ren.

The ensuing bit of grisly business in the dog kennel was somehow less interesting, and not as effective as Shireen's death. I'm probably in the severe minority, but I think we needed to see a little more there. I don't need to see a spray of blood across Ramsay's face, but... maybe the woman flinching as the dogs go in? Something like that.

The way Jon's resurrection played out was surprisingly divisive. I will happily defend it. Sure, it was weird, but that's actually great. Did people really want more cliches in that scene? I thought it was appropriately bizarre and singular and memorable. It's kind of poetic the way they removed all other characters from the scene, so it was a moment between us and Jon Snow, both intimate and meta. The way it dragged out tortured but delighted me. I enjoy being trolled, and this was some prime trolling.

Until we saw Ghost wake up, I honestly thought they just might pull the rug and leave him dead. Of course that doesn't make any sense, but such was the power of the scene.