The only real truth about Kubrick...

Started by AnubisGOJ, March 16, 2003, 09:03:02 AM

hedwig

Quote from: The Disco Kid on August 26, 2007, 05:22:04 AM
Yikes.

My friend, I wasnt trying to pick a fight with anyone. That was not my intention. I just want to talk about movies, that's all.

You say everyone agrees with me. How so? I said 2001 was the most triumphant Humanistic film ever made. You agree?  Barry Lyndon, Full Metal Jacket, Eyes Wide Shut and The Shining are all fundamentally Humanistic films? Do you agree? If everyone agrees with me, then tell me how everyone agrees with me. How is The Shining a fundamentally Humanistic film?

Im here to talk about films. Not to carry on petty, trivial arguments.
man, if you're so desperate for people to discuss your points, why don't YOU offer explanations for why "2001 was the most triumphant Humanistic film ever made"?? YOU said it, you should explain it. don't expect other people to enter a discussion just because you present a bunch of vague opinions.

The Disco Kid

Quote from: Hedwig on August 26, 2007, 05:25:37 AM
Yikes.

My friend, I wasnt trying to pick a fight with anyone. That was not my intention. I just want to talk about movies, that's all.

You say everyone agrees with me. How so? I said 2001 was the most triumphant Humanistic film ever made. You agree?  Barry Lyndon, Full Metal Jacket, Eyes Wide Shut and The Shining are all fundamentally Humanistic films? Do you agree? If everyone agrees with me, then tell me how everyone agrees with me. How is The Shining a fundamentally Humanistic film?

Im here to talk about films. Not to carry on petty, trivial arguments.
man, if you're so desperate for people to discuss your points, why don't YOU offer explanations for why "2001 was the most triumphant Humanistic film ever made"?? YOU said it, you should explain it. don't expect other people to enter a discussion just because you present a bunch of vague opinions.

But Hedwig, you don't understand. "Everyone agrees with me". If that's the case, then tell how so.

Pubrick

My friend,

first inaccuracy.

yeah you already said that:

Quote from: The Disco Kid on August 26, 2007, 03:38:51 AM
Anyways, Pubrick, everyone agrees that Kubrick was the most Humanist auteur that ever helmed a camera, huh? Do you? How so? You agree 2001 is the most triumphant Humanist film ever made? How so? Barry Lyndon, A Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket, Eyes Wide Shut, and The Shining are fundamentally Humanistic films? How so?

and therein lies your second mistake. let me explain again something you missed:

Quote from: Pubrick on August 26, 2007, 05:06:06 AM
i said MOST ppl would agree.
Quote from: Pubrick on August 26, 2007, 02:18:52 AM
i think most ppl would agree with you.

can you read? you are either really drunk or really stupid. and read what hedwig wrote. there is so much wrong with your approach to conversation that is infuriating, i have no time to explain it all to you only to have it ignored and have to explain it all over again. you don't even acknowledge your ridiculous errors. i responded to your bullshit and now i'm done with this.

oh, and i take it back, i was wrong to say MOST ppl agree with you. i only know that I will ignore everything you post from now on. apologies to everyone for this ridiculous exchange, i've tried to avoid them this year and i think this is the first, hopefully last.
under the paving stones.

JG

i like ..//puuubrikc..;/  better.   (not really). 

last days of gerry the elephant

I think it's a great idea, (Kubrick hated humans) if only the article was a little more academic than the generalizations.

john

Quote from: The Disco Kid on August 26, 2007, 01:09:02 AM

...the most triumphant Humanist... all triumphantly Humanistic as well...
most Humanistic ... knew human beings intimately...

Quote from: The Disco Kid on August 26, 2007, 01:09:02 AM
Kubrik  was the single most Humanistic auteur

[/quote]
Quote from: The Disco Kid on August 26, 2007, 03:38:51 AM
...the most Humanist auteur that ever helmed a camera... the most triumphant Humanist film ever made? ... fundamentally Humanistic...

And if Kubrick's filmography deserves anything it deserves... tedious... fucking....repetition.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

modage

from Jason Reitman's blog...

What's In A Name?
Aug 27, 2007

Recently, I was reading a piece that Katharina Kubrick wrote about her father Stanley. In it she was discussing many of her father's favorite movies. Among the list were many films you'd expect, Godfather, Citizen Kane, Dog Day Afternoon... but then there was one title that took me a little by surprise...

White Men Can't Jump.

This is not a joke. The Ron Shelton L.A. basketball romp of the early 90's sat on Kubrick's top shelf somewhere between Treasures of Sierra Madre and Yojimbo.

So I went back and rewatched the film and you know what? It's fantastic. Really. Much like Bull Durham, it explores relationships in a real way that other sports films can't even touch. It's actually quite moving and has a very sophisticated ending.

It just has a stupid fucking name.

It's not ironically modest... It's not even cute... It's fucking stupid.

It's not even what the movie is about! The title implies that this is a movie about racial politics in basketball... Like that Josh Lucas flick - Glory Road, which in hindsight SHOULD have been called White Men Can't Jump. Imagine that poster:

Josh Lucas stars in an incredible story of the team that changed the game forever.

Winning Changes Everything.

White Men Can't Jump.

That would have been fucking awesome!

Ron Shelton's film isn't about any of that. Basketball is just a setting. Racial politics are just a setting. It's a movie about the politics of love. The politics of relationships. How to be a husband. How to be a partner. And this kind of shit it nails...

If Bull Durham is about dating. WMCJ is about marriage. As far as these kinds of movies go, it deserves to be up there on Kubrick's shelf... even though the cover was a two shot of Snipes and Harrelson that literally just says:

Wesley Woody

White Men Can't Jump

I'm not kidding. The DVD is sitting in front of me. And it's worth watching... even though the studio write up on the back calls it a "Slam dunk, high-flying comedy hit!"

http://my.foxsearchlight.com/node/372
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

a few things.

1. jason reitman needs to catch up to the internet. he must have been reading the kubrick FAQ which has been online for years. not only that, it was actually posted IN THIS VERY THREAD more than three years ago.

2. it also explained the presence of ron shelton in that list where great directors were asked to name Kubrick's favourite film. remember? one of these things is not like the other..  posted directly after the post i linked above.

Quote from: modage on August 27, 2007, 11:59:04 AM
If Bull Durham is about dating. WMCJ is about marriage. As far as these kinds of movies go, it deserves to be up there on Kubrick's shelf... even though the cover was a two shot of Snipes and Harrelson that literally just says:

Wesley Woody

White Men Can't Jump

I'm not kidding. The DVD is sitting in front of me. And it's worth watching... even though the studio write up on the back calls it a "Slam dunk, high-flying comedy hit!"

3. look at the words i've highlighted in the quote. does he realise the obvious EWS parallels in the marriage and title thing? he makes the connection and then negates it with "...even though". i left the final use of "even though" in there to show that he's using it in a negative "despite this" kind of way. he makes a potentially interesting discovery (by highlighting the marriage theme) and then misses the whole point!

anyway, White Men Can't Jump is a great movie AND title.
under the paving stones.

modage

i will mail you a dollar if you join the fox searchlight boards and post that in the comments.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

including the link to xixax?

woo, we've hit the big time!
under the paving stones.