Favorite Female Singer-Songwriter

Started by pookiethecat, June 09, 2003, 10:08:07 PM

neatahwanta

Quote from: pookiethecat...then i heard "me and a gun" and never felt so thoroughly disgusted by a song's artlessness in my life.  witless, unmusical piece of shit it is, especially when compared with the eloquence of fiona's "sullen girl."  her covers of "happiness is a warm gun" and "smells like teen spirit" are just plain awful too.

I always thought that's what Tori was going for w/ "me & a gun", but I agree that her covers are just terrible...."Strange Little Girls" is just unlistenable.

polkablues

I could go on for a while....

<--------- start with the pretty lady on the left here.

Tori Amos... fuck it, I like her.  "Scarlet's Walk" is great.

Sarah MacLachlan... it doesn't get better than "Fumbling Towards Ecstacy".  One of my top five albums of all time.

Fiona Apple... duh.

Liz Phair... She gets better and better as she goes.  I love the blunt honesty of her lyrics.

Lori Carson... Just watch "Waking the Dead" and listen for the song "Snow Come Down".  Sad, sad, sad.

Michelle Branch... What can I say?  Good pop music.  Plus, she's an attractive lass, which hurts not a bit.

Neko Case... Cool neo-country rock.  Amazing voice.

Allison Krauss... a little folky for my taste, but her talent is hard to ignore.

Suzanne Vega... great songwriting will get you everywhere.

Carrie Akre... She rocked back when she was singer for Goodness, and now as a solo artist she still kicks ass, though a bit more quietly.

Poe... when I want to go into a creative trance or have long, dreamy sex, I listen to either Poe or Portishead.  Take as needed.
My house, my rules, my coffee

godardian

Quote from: polkabluesI could go on for a while....

<--------- start with the pretty lady on the left here.

Tori Amos... fuck it, I like her.  "Scarlet's Walk" is great.

Sarah MacLachlan... it doesn't get better than "Fumbling Towards Ecstacy".  One of my top five albums of all time.

Fiona Apple... duh.

Liz Phair... She gets better and better as she goes.  I love the blunt honesty of her lyrics.

Lori Carson... Just watch "Waking the Dead" and listen for the song "Snow Come Down".  Sad, sad, sad.

Michelle Branch... What can I say?  Good pop music.  Plus, she's an attractive lass, which hurts not a bit.

Neko Case... Cool neo-country rock.  Amazing voice.

Allison Krauss... a little folky for my taste, but her talent is hard to ignore.

Suzanne Vega... great songwriting will get you everywhere.

Carrie Akre... She rocked back when she was singer for Goodness, and now as a solo artist she still kicks ass, though a bit more quietly.

Poe... when I want to go into a creative trance or have long, dreamy sex, I listen to either Poe or Portishead.  Take as needed.

any disagreements with any of the above are drowned with sheer love and gratitude for your awesome sig line...  :P
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

i like tori amos a lot, but carol king gets the nod for her earlly brill building work

im not anything like your typical tori fan, yet im also not at all like your typical morrisey fan

and yet i am a huge fan of both

godardian

For writing "He Hit Me... and It Felt Like a Kiss," Carole King deserves to be recognized as a onetime subversive force to rival the Velvet Underground.

Plus, she babysat Little Eva. That's at least as interesting as doing heroin and hanging out with Warhol.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Quote from: godardianFor writing "He Hit Me... and It Felt Like a Kiss," Carole King deserves to be recognized as a onetime subversive force to rival the Velvet Underground.

Plus, she babysat Little Eva. That's at least as interesting as doing heroin and hanging out with Warhol.

no man little eva babby sat for carol

is your post meant to be ironic or do you like her work

here is my take

joni- is great

liz phair- i have to admit my judgement is cloady, since her earlly songs make me well want to have sex with her , she wrote " I'll fuck you and your girlfriend" how could i not get all sexed up, so i disqualify myself

bjork- could be great, but she is done in by overkill . i remember hearing her say that when she is sad she listens to off the wall by michael jackson, that is so cool. I would like to see her do a stevie wonder type album

nico- well maybe a muse, but credit goes to lou and later john cale

pj harvey- i like her, still i wish she didnt just stick to guitar drenched feedback and screaming, she could of done  great stuff in the " down by the water" mode

Diana ross- didnt write her songs, but ohh she could sing the fuck out of them

kim gordon over rated and dull

Madonna- ceased to be relavent post like a prayer

Quote from: pookiethecatpj harvey.  god yes.  did anyone else notice "good fortune" in one of the scenes of shallow hal?  pj and the farley brothers. the oddest fucking combination ever.

they have very great taste in music and they use songs from all over, how else would you explain the lemonheads in something about mary, and it wasnt there cover of miss's robinson which is been used to death by directers wanting a " grunge" feel to a classic rock song they grew up with

they however do not use soul music , and that is my fav music so they lose some points

how cool was pta for using the Ohio players in the hot tub scene

pookiethecat

Since I started this topic, I should give my own little schpiel.

Fiona- I love how fucked up and complicated her music is...Everytime her lyrics seem to say something profoundly messed, her music mirrors that with something equally profoundly schizoid and syncopated.  She's an attractive lass too, (hehe Polkablues).  

Joni Mitchell- I've only recently started delving into her huge body of work, but I'm pretty addicted to the Blue album.  

Laura Nyro- Her unpredictable song structures get me and her status as an unknown who wrote all these famous songs that other people covered is kind of intriguing too.  Like "Wedding Bell Blues" "Eli's Coming" and "Stoney End" to name a few...

Aimee Mann- she's so cynical and dry, it can be really refreshing.  Her contribution to Magnolia was great, i would have never heard of her if it weren't for PTA using her.  And to backpedal. I would have never heard of PTA if it weren't for Fiona...  Introduced to one artist and get a plethora of other great ones too,...

Anyway, those are the top four right now:Fiona, Joni, Laura, and Aimee
i wanna lick 'em.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I like Tori Amos..."Happy Phantom" is just one of those songs...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Mesh

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalones...her earlly brill building work...

Can someone explain this phrase to me?  I'm totally serious.  I keep seeing it in print and online and I have no idea what it means.

SoNowThen

Doesn't it have something to do with when she was writing like crazy for other people, and also building towards her first solo album. Like writing in Tin Pan Alley, or something...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

has anyone else heard the Apples In Stereo song TIN PAN ALLEY?  talk about catchy...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Quote from: Mesh
Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalones...her earlly brill building work...

Can someone explain this phrase to me?  I'm totally serious.  I keep seeing it in print and online and I have no idea what it means.

I think she and Goffin and others (including, later and briefly, Lou Reed) literally sat in an office in the Brill Building in NYC in the early sixties and churned out songs which were then used by Phil Spector and others; Goffin and King wrote a lot of stuff the Crystals did. I think she wrote "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow," too. I'm not a big fan of her singer-songwriter-era stuff, but her just-a-brilliant-songwriter stuff is a cornerstone of pop music.

MacGuffin

This news should be for polkablues, but he doesn't come 'round no more:

Singers Imbruglia, Johns Wed in Australia  

BRISBANE, Australia - Pop star Natalie Imbruglia married Daniel Johns, lead singer for Australian rock band Silverchair, in a secret ceremony.

The couple exchanged vows Wednesday at an exclusive resort on Australia's northeastern coast, with a large white tent seen on the lawns of the Thala Beach Lodge, Australian Associated Press reported.

Johns and Imbruglia, who announced their engagement earlier this year, flew into nearby Cairns airport Tuesday night and were driven away in a gold limousine.

Imbruglia, 28, wore a silk chiffon V-necked gown with a hand draped layered handkerchief hem, by Beverly Hills designer Monique Lhuillier, AAP reported. Johns, 24, wore a vintage pale blue suit.

The newlyweds will release a wedding photograph for sale, with proceeds going to a favored charity of the couple.

Imbruglia first rose to stardom in Australia as an actress on the television drama "Neighbors" which also spawned pop princesses Kylie Minogue and Holly Valance.

After leaving the show for a stake at a musical career, Imbruglia topped the charts with the 1998 single "Torn."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks