The Guest

Started by Tictacbk, September 18, 2014, 10:07:37 PM

Tictacbk

Synopsis: A soldier introduces himself to the Peterson family, claiming to be a friend of their son who died in action. But all is not as it seems...

Director: Adam Wingard
Writer: Simon Barrett

I saw this last night.  It's good clean fun.  Like John Carpenter meets Drive.  I recommend seeing it without knowing anything about it. 

jenkins

conversation-piece movie, i can see it

polkablues

I'm going to try and see this tomorrow. "You're Next" bought Adam Wingard and Simon Barrett a lot of accrued goodwill from me, and I expect even greater things from this one.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

I did not care for "You're Next" at all and I really dug this for whatever that's worth.

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

I loved YOU'RE NEXT and liked this one a little less, but still had a lot of fun.

polkablues

Quote from: Ghostboy on September 19, 2014, 01:26:18 PM
I loved YOU'RE NEXT and liked this one a little less, but still had a lot of fun.

Same. This almost felt like a segment from a lost sequel to Grindhouse, with how overt it's stylistic references were. You're Next was also fairly meta, but didn't hammer you in the face with it quite as hard.

Still, Dan Stevens was fantastic, Wingard is still a visually confident director who makes bold choices and doesn't smooth away all the interesting rough edges, and it was ultimately a hell of a lot of fun.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Mel

There are some parts I didn't like, yet it was so much fun. A lot of references to horror/action films, where it is thriller for the most part without showing too much. Just go and see it - you will probably take something out of it.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...